Home Forums Chat Forum The avocado bathroom suites of the future

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 315 total)
  • The avocado bathroom suites of the future
  • brads
    Free Member

Will just add.

New builds (99% off) are disgusting soulless horrors that would destroy any shred of self respect I had left and leave me a shuffling lifeless moron if I bought one.

And I live in a 1940’s ex cooncil hoose so I know what I’m talking about haha.

vickypea
    Free Member

Fake grass has to be the biggest “what were they thinking?” for me. Ugly, sterile and bad for the environment.

TiRed

If it’s not too personal, do you mind saying what they cost, approximately?

Came with the house we moved into ;-) It was a significant attraction having a glass rooflight extension. I think about 5k for 4x600mm panels.

kayak23

A lot of folks are saying how they love things. That’s not the point of the op, if I may be so bold.

Folks used to love Avocado suites too.

How about painting everything the one colour? Walls, cabinets, ceilings, covings, floors, everything.

I quite like it to be fair and we have a fair bit of it in our house, but yeah, might become a bit avocado.

Northwind

We have an avocado bathroom, I like it. Shows up the toothpaste something rotten though

squirrelking
    Free Member

I quite like it to be fair and we have a fair bit of it in our house, but yeah, might become a bit avocado.

Easy fix though.

And I live in a 1940’s ex cooncil hoose so I know what I’m talking about haha.

Yeah but the difference is your cooncil hoose was built with proper sized rooms that can actually take the described bed size PLUS furniture. Late 40s/ early 50’s are pretty decent.

andybrad

waterfall style taps. bloody horrible imo

tomd
    Free Member

Plain smooth blandly coloured surfaces.

One thing about the old 70s style crazy tiles, textured walls and swirly carpets was they’re very lifeproof. Able to shrug off stains and take a beating.

With big plain smooth surfaces any wear , blemishes or marks make them look terrible and destined for the skip.

cookeaa

“Rustic plaster”

our house was decorated in a Moroccan style when we moved in, which essentially just meant the lounge has really shit plastering…

Oh and Burgundy wall paper, twice I’ve had to live with it now…

ian-r

Those up and down lights are in fashion round here. Just highlights the crap brickwork.

iamtheresurrection

LED lights in kitchen unit kick boards. Why you’d want the attention brought down to the floor is a mystery to me…

DenDennis
    Free Member

I was thinking of something that’s just appeared on a pic up there :
    Belfast sinks.
    Looked novel at the time but really not that practical in my view, particularly for bathrooms.
    Other one is those massive island units in kitchens, people put them in cos it’s the done thing rather than whether it actually works in the space…

trail_rat
    Free Member

people put them in cos it’s the done thing rather than whether it actually works in the space…

Aye the guy at the kitchen place tried his hardest to get me to put an island in.

Moar space for units to sell innit

tomd
    Free Member

Fake grass has to be the biggest “what were they thinking?” for me. Ugly, sterile and bad for the environment.

This x 1000 as well. I think there are some applications where it definitely makes sense – say a small north facing back garden with kids where your alternative is muddy grass 9 months of the year.

Around our way now folk have had it down a few years the “crisp” look is starting to go and it’s not aging well.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Islands are fine if your kitchen is a massive square shape, it’s either an island or a huge table to take up the space, otherwise it looks daft with nothing in the middle.

My belfast sink is awesome, I couldn’t care if it’s unfashionable in years to come, it swallows the massive roasting trays on a sunday!.

grum
    Free Member

I was thinking of something that’s just appeared on a pic up there :
    Belfast sinks.

Ah yes that flash-in-the-pan fad that started in the 1700s.

vickypea
    Free Member

Belfast sinks! We had one in the kitchen but I’m clumsy and I kept smashing glasses and crockery in it!

funkmasterp

I’ve done a number of projects both on listed horses

I hope white window frames disappear for good. Anything other than white would look better 99% of the time. White really is a shit colour for bathroom furniture too. Just makes everything look scruffy and a bit clinical. Agree that fake grass has to be up there.

tjagain

White windows frames? never painted any other colour and never will. coloured window frames are hideous

tjagain

One from a few years ago that has aged really badly is wooden worktops. Black looks so much better

ads678

Other one is those massive island units in kitchens, people put them in cos it’s the done thing rather than whether it actually works in the space…

They work really well in open plan kitchen diner’s!

tjagain

“Classic and modern” or “will date really quickly” ?
    DSC_1167 by TandemJeremy[/url], on Flickr

5lab
    Free Member

In my opinion, those chrome barstools are already dated, but at least they can be replaced.

Its interesting to see how quickly stuff ‘dates’ – I think it depends a large amount on how cheap/easy it is to do it – feature walls seemed to be ‘in’ for about 5 years in the late naughtys, and that was it – but bifold doors that started to be popular at about the same time are still popular now, as they’re expensive (so you don’t see many houses with them).

I fitted my old house with waterfall taps, grey kitchen and feature walls in 2008, haven’t lived there for the last 5 years so I don’t feel too bad about it.

flooding a house with cat5 seems to have died a death (and not just because of cat6), but at least it was hidden.

anything considered ‘shabby chic’ can get in the sea.

peekay

“Classic and modern” or “will date really quickly” ?

I think that the bare, suspended, oversized filament light bulb was part of an ‘industrial chic’ look that was popular about 2013-2018, brought on by a new wave of conversions from city centre ex-industrial structures to glamorous luxury residential units.

Is that the look you were aiming for with the dangle of disappointment from the ceiling?

Rest of it looks fine.

trail_rat
    Free Member

One from a few years ago that has aged really badly is wooden worktops. Black looks so much better

Your evidence suggests otherwise.

When you finishing the flooring. – never understood the bare floorboard thing

squirrelking
    Free Member

flooding a house with cat5 seems to have died a death (and not just because of cat6), but at least it was hidden.

Except none of it is actually cat6 but whatever.

Your evidence suggests otherwise.

Quite. Looks like a student flat from 20 years ago.

When you finishing the flooring. – never understood the bare floorboard thing

It’s a Leith thing I think, all of the rooms in my missus’ flat had bare boards. The downstairs neighbours absolutely love it too, nothing better than knowing where your neighbour is by the creak of wonky boards or the clack clack clack of high heels.

anything considered ‘shabby chic’ can get in the sea.

On the upside think of all the landfill it saved. Probably a lot of nice period stuff got trashed too but for the most part it was the shite not even the DEBRa shop would sell.

grum
    Free Member

I like the look of floorboards in an older house because it’s showing some of the age/character of the place. Noisy though
    Haveel to say it’s a weird mix with the 1980s ‘modern’ kitchen.

Black looks so much better

Nuh uh. Easier to look after maybe.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Conservatory…

Decking…

Sanitary ware thats not white…

Taps that are not chrome…

UPVC external doors…

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Underfloor heating the devils work

tjagain

:-) to the picture. Its sort of ( as described in an SF book) aggressive retro 90s! Done very cheaply. The boards ore only 35 yrs old – it was completely refloored in the 80s. the bar stools are horrid. In the flesh tho overall it looks good and the tenants love it.

I do prefer that kitchen tho to the other one I put in in the 90s with wooden worktops and cream cupboards – that has dated badly IMO

tjagain

Is that the look you were aiming for with the dangle of disappointment from the ceiling?

Great phrase. Actually the chap who did the fire certificate insisted the lampshades that were removed – so we did :-)

My list of things that dated badly and look shite

Laminate flooring. If you cannot afford wood then get carpet
    Non chrome taps / waterfall taps – I loathe that disappointing dribble
    plastic windows especially the ones with fake leading / stained glass – just look cheap and nasty
    Non white bathroom suites
    Black wall tiles in bathrooms
    Sparkly stuff in bathrooms
    Stripy wallpaper

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Wood burning stoves are all the rage in new builds around here – the embarrassment in 10 years time when they are banned for killing people

Just new build planning. Characterless houses, characterless estates, not enough parking, not enough footpaths.

poolman
    Free Member

I quite like the unmolested time warp houses from say 60s, swirly carpet, g plan furniture, brick fireplaces, Corby trouser press…

If I bought one I would keep most of it intact and have a retrotastic party.

Those 60s span houses are listed now.

zippykona

Belfast Sinks, as above.
    We had one as a kid while all the flash people were getting aluminium ones. I was deeply ashamed of that sink and will never have one.
    We also had to make do with butter while all the flash kids had margarine.
    Funny world.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, I have to agree with astro turf, it’s awful, was bad enough playing footy on it for years, **** having it in your garden.

Minimalist kitchens give me the willies, especially if they’re lit like a mortuary.

Whisky shelves seem to be a bit popular atm.

A ‘bar’ in the house or summer house with fonts, stools etc is the height of poor taste.

b230ftw
    Free Member

Oldest worktop material there is. Sustainable, can refinish, easy to look after. Black? I’m not living in the 1980s. I don’t really want your “new bed sit on a budget” look.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Laminate flooring. If you cannot afford wood then get carpet

Ha . And yet a quality laminate that is more durable than wood and less succeptible to wear and water damage in high traffic areas near out side doors can easily cost more than wood.

Certainly the laminate I put in my dining room was more than the 22mm oak I put in my living room and clad the stairs in.

Tbh I’d take cheapass lino over bare floorboards. looks unfinished* . A bit like nardo grey Audi’s. (Primer grey)

You’ll like this…. I fitted oak worktops onto an off-white (grey) shaker kitchen with a Belfast sink in 2020……probably was never in fashion….and im ok with that because I fitted it for me.

-just shows how tastes are different as I said earlier

b230ftw
    Free Member

The biggest problem with “doing up” houses is that very few people understand design or colours. That’s a bad start, it just means you get everything magnolia or white walls – or grey at the moment – and bland boring cookie cutter cheap stuff slotted in (like tjagains picture).
    Add on the issue that people try and force a certain design into a house that doesn’t suit it. Ram a modern clean white kitchen into a Victorian house and it generally looks a bit odd. The same goes with old stuff in a newer house – trying to get a 60’s semi interior to look like a country cottage.
    And compounding all the above is the fact that modern houses are 99% terrible. It fills me with incandescent rage how crap modern houses look and how they try to look like old houses but fail completely. Why on Earth are windows smaller now than in the 1960s? Seriously? Why does my £180k 1910 Edwardian house have a 2x3m wide lounge window in a 4.5m square room but friends have 3.5m square front rooms with a couple of (approx) tiny 60x80cm windows in? With mullions for no reason whatsoever. Crappy small rooms which are all just square dark boxes, mish mash of styles everywhere on the outside.

Contrary to what others have said I think grey windows can work really well but not in all houses.

tjagain

expensive / quality laminate is surely an oxymoron! It always looks cheap and nasty

Anyone else dare to stick their heads above the parapet with pictures? I bet many folk on here would hate the floorboards in one room in my flat. Original 1870s, never ripped up or sanded. Carefully scrubbed clean by hand ( took days of work) and thus all lumpy and uneven and somewhat distressed.

You can buy laminate that pretends to be old distressed boards!

tjagain

Why on Earth are windows smaller now than in the 1960s?

Thermal /insulation reasons. Modern houses need to meet certain standards and its easier to do this with small windows

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 315 total)

The topic ‘The avocado bathroom suites of the future’ is closed to new replies.