Home Forums Chat Forum The avocado bathroom suites of the future

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 315 total)
  • The avocado bathroom suites of the future
  • martinhutch

Gopping ‘feature wall’ wallpaper.

Decking

Huge windows with no curtains or blinds (like you see on grand designs)

Open plan won’t age well with the post-covid WFH generations.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Modern houses that look like visitor centres.

heres the thing… and this is true of alot of thinga i guess.

aslong as thats kept clean and tidy ie the finishes etc are maintained, that doesn’t really bother me. Look at some of the 30s art deco houses, very dated but still look okay or even great aslong as they are kept sparkly white with black mindows etc.

I think alot of fashinable design starts to look dated because it looks run down towards the end of its first lease of life rather than being purely out of fashion.

Some of the worst looking buildings are “traditional” looking houses but look closely you see the cracks or the plastic render edge beading.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I like that house up there, a damn site nicer than 99% of new build housing

Should we add much of the new build matchstick housing stock that’s popping up everywhere.

Not all of it….. But a large amount of it.

What about buying a house on a flood plain. I imagine that’ll make avocado bathroom suites look good.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Decking

I think that ship sailed a long time ago. It’s got it’s place, but those massive 3D structures made of the stuff are deep into the ‘No’ column now.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I actually like that, I’d prefer the proper headroom but in the right place it makes sense.

null

I think alot of fashinable design starts to look dated because it looks run down towards the end of its first lease of life rather than being purely out of fashion.

Or in some cases before the glue/paint/mastic has dried. Bad fitting has a lot to answer for.

scuttler

I’ll bet the hipsters are lapping up the Avocado and Peach bathroom suites or maybe they already did and they’re officially shit for the second time round.

scuttler

Hot Tubs / sex ponds, like large enclosed trampolines, they went from aspirational middle-class must-have to everywhere, to about as desirable as a discarded shopping trolley next to a rusty old banger on bricks on the front lawn in a few short years.

Best £500 I spent this side of Covid-19. But it’s inflatable so I could put it away / move it on if I could be arsed. And I’m a total snob.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with grey, done my living room in dulux urban espression (matt grey), kitchen (soft sheen), bathroom is (soft sheen). Although to be fair it did take me 20+yrs to get any paint on the walls since I moved in so I guess this will do till I get carted out in a box

No there’s nothing wrong with it, it’s just very fashionable now, like Avocado Bathrooms were in the 70s, so there will likely be a backlash in a few years.

In years to come, we’ll look back at houses with every room in various shades of grey with the same level of amusement/horror as we might looking at a picture from the 70s of someone’s brown carpet, wallpaper, and sofa, or all the red stuff of the 80s, or the featureless whites of a few years ago.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Much like drain pipe trousers and teddy boys I’d imagine.

Fashion’s change like the wind.

The important thing is…..you like it. I mean some folk on here actively admit to wearing bootcut jeans out of choice rather than as fancydress.

Unless your actually a developer turning houses over for a profit rather than for a home.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Hot Tubs / sex ponds, like large enclosed trampolines, they went from aspirational middle-class must-have to everywhere, to about as desirable as a discarded shopping trolley next to a rusty old banger on bricks on the front lawn in a few short years.

Best £500 I spent this side of Covid-19. But it’s inflatable so I could put it away / move it on if I could be arsed. And I’m a total snob.

I try to write Tongue in Cheek with these sorts of things, but I know a couple of who bought who are even more snobby than you and I, the honeymoon period ended after a few months, then it became a faf to maintain (I know, I know, it’s dead easy really) and eventually they could never use it when they mood took them because they hadn’t bothered with the maintenance. Once they were being offered for £100 in B&M Bargains and being fought over by rough people due to lack of supply, they wanted rid under cover of darkness, lest their neighbours saw they’d ever had one.

hooli

No big deal with the grey paint going out of fashion, an afternoon and £20 and it can be changed.

mattyfez

Alunimium, but brown and embossed (so it almost looks like wood) looks really nice and more natural.

I don’t get the craze with gray things, I don’t want to feel like I’m sat in some sort of dystopian re-education facility.

mattyfez

Looking at houses recently – WTF are people doing fitting those old fasioned free standing bath tubs with no shower? That would be comming straight out!

Watching too many Caburys flake adverts, methinks.

ads678

Muted colours are good because it’s the accessories that stand out rather than the walls them selves.

I couldn’t stand all the flowery wall paper and dado rails back in the 90’s. **** awful, I’d rather have nice pictures that stand out.

🤮

[/url]

breadcrumb

The door that Kayak posted is aesthetically challenging now, never mind not aging well.

Again it’s personal taste but soffit downlighters look shit now.

I think grey frames will look dated, white will be more common again.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I think grey frames will look dated, white will be more common again.

I’d be quite happy if I never saw white or rosewood again.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Unless your actually a developer turning houses over for a profit rather than for a home.

i used a location house for a shoot once, it had just been finished and not yet sold though i think the developer was thinking of living there. it was right on the river a stones throw from Hampton Court Palace. it was white. i mean everything white. Floor to ceiling and all furnishings, lamps, sofas, chairs, tables etc. apart from the TV and the remote and the hob. middle of summer and you had to wear sunnies indoors or get a headache.
    Horrible place, and i’m guessing 4-5 million?
    at least if it was grey you could actually see tones in the space and imagine living there with your added colour and style.

it’s white i have a problem with rather than grey.
    and as for windows? you can now get UPVC spray painted whatever colour you like in situ, friends had some painted grey when they moved into a new (to them) victorian house, looked way better than the white but obviously not as good as period correct sash windows (which were never white) but they are cold, noisy and draughty.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I don’t get the craze with gray things, I don’t want to feel like I’m sat in some sort of dystopian re-education facility.

That reminds me, almost time for my meds.

tuboflard

I actually like that, I’d prefer the proper headroom but in the right place it makes sense.

I was being a bit flippant actually @squirrelking, I still like them but seem to make sense with sweeping views to take in. Less so in a built up city. The price and need for building control sign off put me off…

Pokey little en-suites tacked on to pokey little bedrooms.

matt_outandabout

Gopping ‘feature wall’ wallpaper.

I had to redecorate every. single. flipping. room. in our current house as someone had gone wild. Our bedroom was last to go, it had gold and silver glitter highlights over large tulip flowers…

I will add – driveways and garages designed for three cars.

I too think the grey window thing is overdone and on many houses looks odd. At least you can paint them.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Bi-folds tick
    Nicely lit tick
    Hormann front door tick (about to get a garage door)
    White render tick
    Grey roof tiles on the want list
    Thought about a bit of timber cladding
    About to redo the down stiars loo with gold fittings !!

But it was a no descript 50/60 build ??

No wood burner or poncy coffee machine mind

franksinatra

I’m going to chuck one in, how about two storey houses?

What is the point in building small two storey houses then having random empty space in a loft. Land is a premium, why not make better use of the land buy building higher houses with three floors as standard?

P-Jay
    Free Member

poncy coffee machine

There’s a family on Googlebox, they’ve got one of those little white and plastic chrome pod machines on display in their living room.

I find it challenging to look at, and I can’t stop seeing it whenever they’re on…

I’m not a snob
    I’m not a snob
    I’m not a snob
    I’m not a snob
    I’m not a snob
    I’m not a snob
    I’m not a snob
    I’m not a snob
    I’m not a snob

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m going to chuck one in, how about two storey houses?

What is the point in building small two storey houses then having random empty space in a loft. Land is a premium, why not make better use of the land buy building higher houses with three floors as standard?

A lot of the new builds going up by us are 3 storey, I think they call them ‘townhouses’, I like the idea and it, seems practical, but House Builders being House Builders they ruin it by cramming in as many as they can, meaning 5 houses in the space of 4 (or even 3). Tiny gardens even by the standard of new houses and taller buildings make it fell very claustrophobic to me.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Until public transport becomes fashionable that’s a sensible design choice.

I was being a bit flippant actually @squirrelking, I still like them but seem to make sense with sweeping views to take in. Less so in a built up city. The price and need for building control sign off put me off…

Yeah of course, location makes the difference.

franksinatra

There’s a family on Googlebox, they’ve got one of those little white and plastic chrome pod machines on display in their living room.

I find it challenging to look at, and I can’t stop seeing it whenever they’re on…

You are not alone. I share your pain.

matt_outandabout

Think back to the 1970’s designs. Now 40-50 years old.

Fast forward that 40-50 years. I do wonder if there will be acres of garages and parking spaces unused.

(And I really object to the Americanism of garages ‘forward’ of the front of the house, making the garage the dominant feature of the house).

trail_rat
    Free Member

Indeed currently the fight over parking spaces on the street and the lack of emergency vehicle access is the current defacto design choice.

Doesn’t make it right but it’s a necessary evil for the time being. The good thing is most garages are too small for cars and the drive way could be returned to garden when the time comes. As is I wouldn’t buy a house without private parking…..even if I didn’t currently own car. Simply because I’ve had that situation and it’s pretty shit because everyone else around you will have 2 or 3 cars and there will be no space.

I’ve spent alot of time in America…..I’d have said the opposite …Americanism of garages would be to put the drive up the side of the house and have the garage at the back. ……but lack of space here drives the garage to the front as it means the houses can be closer together and you can get more in.

ahsat

Hexagonal tiles

I’m adding in awful hexagonal tiles, like they always use on DIY SOS/big build.

yoshimi

Huge outdoor wood fired pizza ovens

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’m adding in awful hexagonal tiles, like they always use on DIY SOS/big build.

There needs to be a couple of broken away one as if it’s an ongoing game of Tetris for max points.

matt_outandabout

Huge outdoor wood fired pizza ovens

Heretic!

TiRed

Bifold doors in the UK.

Had them 10 years. I would seek them out in a further move. We have a sunshade and it opens up the house all summer.

I quite like that avocado bathroom. Sold.

benjamins11
    Free Member

I love our open plan house with our bifold doors and I love sitting on the decking looking in at the grey kitchen walls, and I don’t care what you all think (no hot tub or led lights though).

P-Jay
    Free Member

Had them 10 years. I would seek them out in a further move. We have a sunshade and it opens up the house all summer.

If it’s not too personal, do you mind saying what they cost, approximately?

I’m sure they’re a LOT cheaper now then they used to be, a friend was quoted £10k-ish from a couple of places 6-8 years ago, I’m being told £3k or so for the same sort of thing now.

dougiedogg
    Free Member

Outdoor LED lights

Instead of just changing a bulb when they die, you have to replace the unit, one of ours died within 2 months of moving in.

£30 a piece
    LED bulb £1.50

chipps

Those uppy/downy exterior lights that make your house look like a high security prison…

benjamins11
    Free Member

Those uppy downy lights are rubbish.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 315 total)

The topic ‘The avocado bathroom suites of the future’ is closed to new replies.