Home Forums Chat Forum The avocado bathroom suites of the future

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 315 total)
  • The avocado bathroom suites of the future
  • Rubber_Buccaneer

Fitted carpets.  What a stupid idea, give me underfloor heating and an easily cleaned tile or whatever surface.  One day we will look back on the fitted carpet and say yuck

ads678

That’s what the people who put that bathroom in up there said -^

😂😭

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m hardly Laurence Llewelyn Bowen, but if I had to guess.

Grey windows, erm… probably. They look better than white at the moment, but they could become very dated in a few years, the problem with window frames is they look pretty terrible in white, we just got used to them. There were a few years when people had wood effect ones, which just look horrible now. If Grey goes out of fashion, there’s not many places to go. That said one of our clients makes UPVC ‘stuff’ like windows / door and ‘glass extensions’ aka conservatories. I saw some windows there a few weeks ago with TINY frames, the effect is quite striking, on the right house I think they’d look amazing, on the wrong it’ll look like an office. They’re a sod to fit well apparently, not longer can fitters just tear a hole in a wall and use a load of sealant and plastic facias to hide it all, but they certainly catch your eye.

Grey in general, spent the last year decorating and generally fixing up our first home. Mrs Jay choose all the colours, I warned her, but she’s a lot happier than me to rip out perfectly good stuff when it’s no longer fashionable, but I’m living in a monochrome nightmare. I’ve got Elephants breath on the walls, stormy morning on the floors, polished pebble in the bedroom. We’re redecorating the eldest’s room at the moment… yep, it’s going to be Grey, after that one of the living room walls is going to be ‘French Grey’. I’ve really tried to avoid too much grey in permanent stuff.

Gloss White Kitchens, every house we went to see that was either ‘nice’ or freshly renovated had these glaring bright, white kitchens, white everything, even counter tops. Every time I saw one I thought it would look pretty crap unless you kept it immaculately clean and would probably wear quite badly.

Hot Tubs / sex ponds, like large enclosed trampolines, they went from aspirational middle-class must-have to everywhere, to about as desirable as a discarded shopping trolley next to a rusty old banger on bricks on the front lawn in a few short years.

brads
    Free Member

Except mine which still heats my house after 4 years :)

Am reading with interest as I plan to build a new house soon.

I fancy an avocado bathroom suite mind, bound to come back in fashion soon.

Edit to add, the log burner post I was replying to has vanished.??

trail_rat
    Free Member

gonna go out there and even though i have some on order.

surface mount solar panels of any ilk.

itll all be about the roof tiles and those of us with surface mounts will be considered retro and old fashioned :D

Lol, they’re everywhere round here!

tell you what – its not a price thing – the timber , stainless screws, prep and time cost more than throwing some dash at it – probably by a factor of 2.

prawny

The people we bought our house off had an obsession with sage it appears. Front door is sage, kitchen is sage with dark wooden worktops. They spent a fortune and it looks ‘nice’ now, but I think it’ll date quickly.

Also every part of the kitchen is expensive but underperforming. Not enough cupboard space, oven is awkward, the hob is a bit small and the solid wood worktops look nice but they need looking after which is ok if you do it. They’re only 3 years old and are looking iffy in places. Our old kitchen was 12 years old and still looked new.

Not a fan of the front door in particular. It’s not got a real handle in it, you need a key to close it from the outside, and it won’t close without locking. And it’s green

davros

Those taps that are open at the top so you can watch the water flow out.

Also, square toilets. We aren’t made of Lego.

finbar
    Free Member

No-one has mentioned these yet:

My sister’s landlord in London recently put matte black taps in her bathroom. She is thrilled at the prospect of cleaning the limescale off every 30 seconds.

Bunnyhop

Open plan. As mentioned above, why would you want your messy kitchen in the living and dining room.
    We put a wall back up, when we moved here 14 years ago to avoid all that. Although we do have a dining kitche.

Sui
    Free Member

Agree on gloss white -its horrible, my missus wanted that, thankfully we havnt been able to afford the kitchen yet and the idea has thankfully faded – still wants stupid waterfall marble worktop though.

agree on stoves as well, unlss they have particle traps on..

leave bi-folds alone – i have a lovely set at 7m wide, i havn’t noticed much thermal issue with mine, tiles can be a little cooler but not by much.

IHN

why would you want your messy kitchen in the living and dining room.

You could always tidy the kitchen, ya filthy get ;-)

jimdubleyou

I fancy an avocado bathroom suite mind, bound to come back in fashion soon.

For ultimate hipster-cool, you want to get a multi set –
    green toilet, blue sink, pink bath…

bedmaker

Anybody else ticking off the list?? :)

Carpets? HArdly a flash in the pan fashion item surely? Hard floor in the bedroom / living room – nope.

Exposed larch woodwork turning scruffy? Check.

Said scruffy woodwork painted at about 8 years old….grey of course. Check.

Woodburner? Two. Used daily currently. Local stove shop doing good business since 1976, so again, not really a short lived trend. Can see how that may be different further south.

Garden room / cabin. Planned for this spring, now that the kids are of age to get rid of the large enclosed trampoline (check) Trampoline is around 18 years old now, proper Triggers broom affair.

The hot tub craze is the one which I think will lead to the most dust gatherers in time.

Agree on the glossy kitchens, just daft.

That door up there – wtf?? Horrible.

To the list, I’d like to add K-Rend and similar.
    I actually think that used in moderation it looks fantastic, really sharp. But, give it five years or so and it’s porosity / roughness means that moss starts creeping up the wall. Using it on a horizontal surface will accelerate that pretty dramatically.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Maybe not in the living room but I don’t want a separate dinning room unless I have a huge house.

Grey windows
    Instant boiling water taps.

dethbeard
    Free Member

Metro/ subway tiling.

Awful.

JoB
    Free Member

large stainless steel house numbers

(usually on a freshly greyed house)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, open plan is awful, rented a lovely 3rd floor harbourside flat when we were waiting on a previous house being built, it was open plan, never again.

franksinatra

Instant boiling water taps.

I’ve got one and its bloody ace.

timmys

I’m hoping in the future the WTF will be;
    “What’s this head height power socket / cabling / hole in the wall? Wait, what!?!?!!” People used to mount their TV’s up there – did they only watch TV standing up?!?!”

Grey everything; even the Farrow & Ball colour consultant I talk to recently said “anything but grey. It’s over”

somafunk

Nowt wrong with grey, done my living room in dulux urban espression (matt grey), kitchen (soft sheen), bathroom is (soft sheen). Although to be fair it did take me 20+yrs to get any paint on the walls since I moved in so I guess this will do till I get carted out in a box

aP
    Free Member

Georgian houses should never have white windows, I’ve done a number of projects both on listed horses and also designed new historically accurate facades and they should be Broken White (is slightly cream/ off white), or a dark color such as black green.
    Hmmm… Our bathroom has white mosaic with anthracite grout (a synthetic grout not cementitious).

binners

Do some people still write Live Laugh Love on the wall?

My cousin has a lot of that sort of thing going on in his huge soulless house

He also drives a white Range Rover

sharkbait
    Free Member

Bifold doors in the UK. Bring the outdoors inside…..15 minutes a year.

This is really not true. If it’s warm and not too windy our bifold doors are open – in fact I’m amazed at how much we used them last year… maybe it’s a lockdown thing.

Grey windows – hmm maybe, but my guess is that grey windows have been around a lot longer than white windows (I’m not sure white paint could even be made initially), so it’s not exactly a new thing.
    I do agree that they can be done badly though!

jimmy

Glossy kitchens = folk that don’t cook

Unless it’s the kitchen that came fitted in a new build house. How I love spending more time cleaning greasy hand prints off the cupboards than actually cooking.

Cougar

I can’t believe this hasn’t been mentioned yet so I’ll offer,

Feature walls.

You know, where the entire room is new-build magnolia save for one wall, or part of one wall even like the chimney breast, that looks like an explosion at a Dulux factory.

dogbone

Wet Rooms. What sort of sociopath wants to shower in an open room with water going everywhere.

Dickyboy

Anybody else ticking off the list?? 🙂

Metro tiles check, square bog check both in our recently refinished cloakroom – replacing the 1980’s taupe suite that I actually quite liked

kayak23

Modern houses that look like visitor centres.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Does monoblock count or has that already had it’s day?

I think composite decking will be the next thing, lasts forever but tastes don’t so will be landfill fodder in a few years. At least the wooden stuff could be burned when it fell out of fashion.

Folks have the wood effect PVC with white harling, utterly hideous. We have it on the extension in a much less orange tone and it looks okay but the harling has more of a brown tone through it anyway.

Oh and on the subject of “Live Laugh Love”, random adjectives connected to the room they are placed in. I’ve frequently threatened to place “pish”, “burn”, “gouch” etc. in their respective rooms when we sell up just to keep things interesting.

EDIT:

Metro/ subway tiling.

Check

Feature walls.

Check (living room is grey forward to back and green side to side)

richmtb

My next door neighbour is ticking most of these boxes

Garden Office, artificial grass, led lights in the soffits, hot tub, grey composite front door.

Also just bought a dog, pretty sure you can guess the breed.

He’s actually a lovely bloke, just maybe needs to give up the subscription to Better Homes

squirrelking
    Free Member

Artificial grass + dog + summer = *boke*

bruneep

I like bifold doors, good for parties.

Never be used again then

Oggles
    Free Member

Glass balustrades on the stairs – especially if they forgo a handrail.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My next door neighbour is ticking most of these boxes

Garden Office, artificial grass, led lights in the soffits, hot tub, grey composite front door.

Also just bought a dog, pretty sure you can guess the breed.

He’s actually a lovely bloke, just maybe needs to give up the subscription to Better Homes

Iainc finally moved in next door?! :-)

somafunk

I like that house up there, a damn site nicer than 99% of new build housing

DrJ

Open plan. As mentioned above, why would you want your messy kitchen in the living and dining room.

This – advertised as being “great for entertaining”. Also great if you like your soft furnishings to stink of curry and chip fat.

tuboflard

I was momentarily tempted to go for one of these recently

But common sense prevailed as there aren’t many days when I would ever want to stand and admire the sideways drizzle over the Peak District.

franksinatra

I’m a little bit concerned about how many of these things we have in our house.

Glass balustrades – tick
    grey window frames – tick
    Boiling water tap – tick
    Wood burning stove – tick and second tick
    Wall mounted TV – tick
    Open plan Kitchen / diner / back room – tick (but we do have separate living room as well)

I don’t have a sex pond but we do have a sauna, does that count?

DrJ

Crittall windows and doors are probably going that way too which is a shame as I quite like them.

We have Crittal windows – look nice in a Poirot-esque stylee but I am freezing my ass off cos they are single glazed and I can’t afford to replace them with double glazed, and the council won’t allow me to replace with anything else :-(

grum
    Free Member

This has just turned into ‘things I don’t like’ rather than things that won’t age well.

I lived in an open plan house in Canada for a bit and it was bloody great. Probably less great with our comparatively tiny houses though I guess.

I like that house up there, a damn site nicer than 99% of new build housing

+1

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 315 total)

The topic ‘The avocado bathroom suites of the future’ is closed to new replies.