Home Forums Chat Forum Temporary Motorbike insurance

• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by pjm7.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Temporary Motorbike insurance
  • pjm7
    Free Member

I’ve just picked up my new racebike (2017 Rsv4 rf), my plan is (as I did with my last bike, also an Rsv4) to run it in for 500 miles (1 month) on the road before converting to track, however this time round I’m really struggling to get a quote. Does anyone know of any companies that might cater for my needs?

keith74

Bennetts used to do month by month cover.Was a few years ago I used it but might be worth a call.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Are you racing it seriously? Race teams I know run them gently for a couple of laps then ride it like they stole it. Gives more power at the possible expense of engine life but even thats debatable as engines are so well made these days.

bazzer
    Free Member

Big Aprilia fan here I have a 13 Tuono V4 APRC and a 15 RSV4 factory.

What series/club are you racing with ?

https://www.mustard.co.uk/motorbike-insurance/alternative-cover/short-term-motorbike-insurance/

weeksy

Nice choice.

My mate uses a place near Northampton and they’re running in his V4RF on the Dyno instead. The cost isn’t anywhere near as daft as you’d think

pjm7
    Free Member

Appreciate the replies all, to answer: I’ve tried Bennets and Mustard and they were a no (the cost of the bike seems just over a lot of underwriters limit).

I’m only planning one race so far this year (No limits endurance at Donno in May, done full time championships for past 4 years and only want to play at it now).

The thing is with race teams running them hard from the off, is they’re constantly refreshing them, my last Rsv4 had 11K track miles with no issues, so even if I loose a couple of bhp, I figure the reliability is worth it.

I have spoken to John Trigger today , regarding running in on the dyno and he did comment on how good the materials and tolerances are these days, he did also say that I’d be better running in on the road………

pjm7
    Free Member

Bazzer Tuono for road and Rsv4 for race?

bazzer
    Free Member

I am lucky enough to have a few bikes I have an S1000XR that I do a bit of touring on the Tuono did do that with some Kreiga packs on it but the 80mile tank range got tiresome. However I love it and have not been able to bring myself to part with it. I have done a few trackdays on it too, Portimao and Almeria and it was a right laugh. One year me and mate took road bikes to Almeria (my Tuono) did 4 days then rode back.

I bought the RSV4 for trackdays but then decided it was too lovely to go on the FE lorry. Also I fancied a track bike that was really really low stress to ride. So I bought an ex European Junior Cup CBR650f from Matt at Smallboy.

I have not had so much fun on track for ages. Really loving it and I am convinced it will improve my riding.

I am off to Cartegena mid Feb with No Limits then Almeria for 6 days in March. So excited about riding the little bike :-) I have let some mates have a go and they all come back smiling.

Long answer to a short question. RSV4 is a garage ornament at the moment :-) Will probably stick it in the van and do a few UK days on it this year at some point. Either that or ride it to the cafe and look at it :-)

Cheers

Bazzer

PS Saw you post about insurance on Trackday riders too, small world :-)

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

OP – have you tried Carole Nash?

pjm7
    Free Member

Top man Bazzer.

GQ,yes I have tried Carole Nash and am having the same issue with them regarding the value, but as I’m already a customer of theirs (road bike) they are contacting the underwriter to see if they’ll except me on a multibike policy, if not looks like I’ll have to insure for a year and cancel as soon as I’ve run it in.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Temporary Motorbike insurance’ is closed to new replies.