• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Caher.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tell me about… inconvenient injuries
  • stwhannah

NOT HERE!

You need to email me!

hannah@singletrackworld.com – please include your forum name so I can attribute the tale in the mag!

I want people to be able to read your entertaining tales in a future magazine, so to keep the pages fresh, please resist the urge to share your Trail Tales of Inconvenient Injuries here.

What we’re looking for is NOT the massive crashes, obvious skills deficits and maximum gore. Instead, we want the more ridiculous – and inconvenient – side of things. The tiny little splinter in your thumb that meant you couldn’t use your dropper. The car park tumble after nailing every double black trail at the bike park. The slip in the shower before Day 1 of the week-long foreign stage race. That sort of thing.

Cheers!

Poopscoop

Loving the idea.👍😁

IHN

You got mail

pondo

Second Brazilian jiu jitsu lesson on Wednesday, ripped a slightly over-long big toe nail in half scrambling about and bled on the mat. 🙁 Prolly gonna give tonight a miss as it’s a bit sore.

Posted in here as I wanted to share but felt it’s likely not quite what the mag is looking for. 🙂

hardtailonly

YGM. (TBH, its bike AND mechanical disaster combined!)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

If you check the STW archives, I wrote an article called “The Hard Way to become a Poet” that gave about 1/2 a dozen of my early injuries. After that they got a bit more serious, still inconvenient, but a bit of blood and gore involved.

Most of mine have not been bike related so no point emailing.

Cut the top of a thumb off with an incredibly sharp knife opening mail. Absolutely rinsed when I had to have it glued back on and one of those thumb dressings. Lads absolutely rinsed me.

Failed to secure a heli-abseil harness properly and crushed a bollock, my sack was the size of a girthy avocado for a while. Much to the mirth of my colleagues.

Opened a door into my face, stone cold sober and split my eyebrow open and promptly covered myself in blood. The door was to leave the waiting room to go for my truck licence test.

Decided to be ‘ard’ and not wear eye-pro (before more recent times when it became mandated) when getting a flight in a US Blackhawk in Bosnia, got grit in my eye, promptly rubbed it and scratched my cornea. Spent 10 days with an dressing/eye-patch on and endured much piss-taking by my buddies.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Opened a door into my face, stone cold sober and split my eyebrow open and promptly covered myself in blood.

Reminds me of the time I cracked a helmet in a crash on Sunday and had a 6 inch cut just hidden by my hairline. I went to an important client presentation on Monday and happened to scratch my head during the start of the presentation which re-opened the cut. I did about 10 minutes of presentation with blood dripping down my forehead, sticking to my eyebrows etc. It wasn’t until I went to wipe the sweat (I thought) with the back of my arm and saw my nice white shirt covered in blood that I realised what had happened. I couldn’t believe that no-one had interrupted or mentioned it to me earlier.

mmannerr

Is there any room for other stories after WCA submits some of his stories?

Too bad this was not about travel injuries, I’m now starting day 24 at hospital ward, might get released on Monday if I’m lucky.

stwhannah

Oof, @mmannerr 24 days!! I’d say get well soon, but it’s a bit late for that.

dyna-ti

NOT HERE!

God loves a trier.

jkomo

Mingeries are the worst I’m told, and very inconvenient.

Caher

When I was 19 I was pretty decent over 400 meters – I could hold a sprint. But one day when training, my left leg hit a bollard, put out for the steeple chase. I broke my ankle and never got that raw speed back. I could still play football and rugby but never got that power again.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.