• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by jedi.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tannus Tyre Insert Armour – Any Experience?
  • franksinatra

I know this will trigger, but I don’t like tubeless. However, last ride out on gravel I fell victim to the hedge cutting debris with multiple large punctures.

I know there is a direct relationship between my two statements above, but I just find tubeless a faff and would rather stick with tubes.

Looking at getting some Tannus inserts to run with tubes. Has anyone used these and got any real work experience? Its for gravel bike with GravelKings.

Review looks pretty good
    https://road.cc/content/review/271465-tannus-tyre-insert-armour

Cheers

fossy

I’ve used a flexible ‘cloth covered’ PU type insert on my commuter after the tyres got hit bad by thorns on a ‘canal’ commute last year. Whilst they worked, over time the friction of the insert, despite being stuck to the tyre, it worked tiny holes in the tube where the tape sides are. I binned them in the end.

dexa

I have used Tannus Armour inserts for over three years on my ebike. They are a bit of a faff to fit, use plenty of French chalk on the insert, tube and tyre so they slide easily together worked best for me.
    4500 miles without issue (all off road). Last month I fitted a set to my Pub bike. My off Road mates have all eventually seen the light, even the tubeless stalwarts.

scaredypants

I have some on the commutah.  They were a bit of a PITA to fit, as dexa says.  No punctures since (tend to get 2 or 3 a year prior to fitting, now none in maybe 18 mo – FWIW)

That bike seems to roll slowly though – makes me think.

Could be the tyres/tubes I guess; I haven’t done loads of swappy testing but have done a few roll-downs compared to a bike with a dynamo hub and on 27.5 x 42 x’plors, which aren’t obviously faster rolling as far as looks go but are TUBELESS.  So trails coming alive with 27.5 / tubeless ain’t dead / supernatural forces at play / … ?

fossy

Inserts are definitely slower as the tyre doesn’t deform and spring back as well. Noticed an immediate difference when I removed the rear insert after it caused another ‘hole’.

a11y

I’m firmly tubeless on my MTB. Tried Tannus inserts on my commuter for about 6 months – only reason I didn’t go tubeless at the time was tyre/rim combo.

PITA to fit – I dropped down a tube size to account for the spce within the tyre volume taken up by the inserts, but still a faff as the insert wouldn’t stay centred in the tyre (more faff than tubeless IME). Had one puncture in 6 months use due to super-long thorn which penetrated the depth of the insert and punctured the tube. Fitting a reaplcement tube on dark, cold, wet trail – cos it’d never happen in the dry – nearly exhausted my swearing vocabulary.

I since succeeded in tubeless using the same tyres and rims and binned the Tannus inserts.

Not worth the faff for me. YMMV.

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

A right pain to fit and very heavy/slow……….But they do work.

jedi

I have just fitted a rear tannus on my ebike. Tyre hasn’t kept air for a week so far …….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.