Home Forums Chat Forum T6 Caravelle – bike inside solution

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • T6 Caravelle – bike inside solution
  • pixelmix
    Free Member

I’m about to pick up a used T6 Caravelle for bike and kid duties. A Kombi would probably have made more sense for the MTB element but I got a decent deal on a Caravelle and it’ll be handy doing car speed limits (most of my driving is on NSL A roads) and the kids will like the extra speakers and less tinny rear.

So what are your solutions for not trashing that nice carpet and plastic interior? I’ll be running this with 4 or 5 seats in most of the time, and often a 29er or muddy CX bike in the back (ideally with both wheels on whenever I can).

Suggestions for massive bike bags, floor coverings, lashing points for the rails gratefully received.

DickBarton

A large tarp covering the area where the bike(s) will be placed and also covering the sides so they don’t get scuffed.

I’d suggest the normal priced ones from the likes of B&Q or Homebase or Wickes rather than the VW branded one that will cost you a kidney and then be discovered to be identical to the normal priced ones but without the normal price. 😉

scuttler

(Cali Beach here) – We have seat covers for the rear seats which extend over the back into the boot so I don’t have to worry about mucky tyres getting on the seat back. The plastic side panels in the boot I don’t really care about as they clean up with a bit of degreaser and warm water. The only thing I’m careful of is the roof lining if it’s been particularly mucky (mind your back and helmet if you throw the bike straight in and climb in to position it).

If you didn’t want full rear seat covers you could knock something up with some sheeting or water resistant cordura type material that is held in place using the headrests that then dangled down the back of the seats and onto the boot floor even all the way to the tailgate.

Plus of course mandatory dog towels for putting between bikes and sides or bikes and bikes, wiping hands, protecting stantions, putting over wheels, standing on to get dry…

verbboy
    Free Member

T6 LWB Caravelle for me.

I run it with all the seats in slide the bench forward a bit and if just me wheels off bike upside down and and in it goes, sometimes a couple of straps but not essential. Use a bit of old bike box on floor and to protect the seat back.

Also got a home made pressure washer in the back with 25l water – all fits easily with a few tools etc in the back.

Means loads of space to get changed in the back in shite weather. Old sheets on the floor if particularly nasty out.

As Scutler mentions just beware the roof lining.

In someways a van would be easier but quite honestly I love my setup, finish ride, fire it up, wash the bike, and usually its warming up nicely as I load the bike in to get changed.

If me and a mate go away the bench only needs nudging up a bit more. And for holidays with the children use a bike rack.

Have fun, I love mine 🙂

Tracey

We got some Aldi heavy duty van seat covers for our Tourneo. They come in singles and doubles and cover the back of the seats. Cheap plastic boot liner that covers the boot area. Keeps most of the sludge off.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Good tips, thanks folks. I’ve got some old seat protectors that I might stick on the kids seats together with some sort of sheet hung from the headrests. I’m also wondering about getting a rubber LWB rear boot line on the basis that it should offer decent coverage in a SWB with one row of seats removed.

sturdylad
    Free Member

Wickes do a roll of carpet protector. I put some down in mine back in Oct and it’s still there now.

Makes wiping out the back of the van after a muddy ride very easy, roll will last ages if you only use it in the van.

Linky

trail_rat
    Free Member

tarps piss me the **** off – used them for years and ultimately always end up with a damp smelly tarp furled up in one corner rather than doing its job.

differnt vehicle but similar concept i stumped up for a moulded rubber fitted floor mat. WORTH EVERY PENNY not to have to deal with tarpaulins – and i can lift it out without spilling any mud – or just sweep it out even.

was 60 quid but based on my previous van it just doesnt die…. ok it buys alot of shitty tarps but when something does the job correctly with no fuss EVER its sometimes worth while 😀

i even fitted the same in the front and put seat covers on , that way no worries about driving home with muddy shorts on etc….

bluebird
    Free Member

Try these – hatchbag.co.uk They might make you a custom liner?

pixelmix
    Free Member

Try these – <span class=”skimlinks-unlinked”>hatchbag.co.uk</span> They might make you a custom liner?

I had a gander at their site earlier, and also these guys, who seem to suggest they will do one to fit a Caravelle when it is only running one row of seats. No pics on the site and I haven’t contacted them yet, but might be an option for keeping mud of the floor AND the sides.

If not, the moulded floor sounds like a minimum decent option. I’ll need to do some measuring once I have decided what our normal seat setup will be (4 or 5 seats).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘T6 Caravelle – bike inside solution’ is closed to new replies.