Home Forums Bike Forum SunRace Mech and Sram shifters?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • SunRace Mech and Sram shifters?
  • seadog101

Anyone tried Sunrace rear Mech and a Sram shifter?

I currently have a 10 speed Sram GX setup, with a SunRace 11-42 cassette. All OK, but the Mech is getting oldish and will one day soon give up.

The Sunrace MX mech is 10/11/12 speed compatible with the matching SunRace shifter, so say the distributor. Has anyone paired the SunRace Mech with a 10 speed Sram shifter?

Plan is to replace my current GX Mech with the sunrace MX (~£79), and as and when the cassette needs replacing, go for a 12 speed SR one and shifter.

Will I die?

Poopscoop

Sorry, can’t help on compatibility but I’m sure there’s a thread on here outlining some reliability issues with the Sunrace mech. Basically the pivot the cable attaches to has a tendency to snap off.

On top of that you have to remove the mech on some frames in order to get the wheel out….

A search should throw the thread up and no doubt someone will be along on this thread to double check my memory isn’t playing tricks on me.lol

seadog101

Righto, not so simple a choice then.
    Maybe wait until the shimano 12 speed trickle down is hitting the sales pages!

greyspoke
    Free Member

I think the mech ratios are a bit diff at 10 speed (between Sram and Shimano). And Sunrace follows Shimano. I can’t remember where or how I got this idea from though.

transition1
    Free Member

I ran the sram X1 11 speed shifter with Sunrace MZ80 rear derailleur it works but have to fiddle a bit with limit screw to get smooth shifting, also did it with XX1 12 speed shifter although now running XX1 rear derailleur too

kane
    Free Member

I tried it with a sram gx 11sp shifter and a hope cassette because the sram mech wasn’t coping well with the larger cog on the cassette. It worked but wasn’t as crisp as the sram in the higher gears so I took it off.

You’re welcome to have my mech for postage if you want to try it.

seadog101

@Kane, that very kind of you, I’ll certainlly take the mech for just postage, worth giving it a try! I’ve sent you a PM.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘SunRace Mech and Sram shifters?’ is closed to new replies.