Home Forums Bike Forum Sunrace Cassette, Shimano Rear Mech, SRAM Chain – Compatible ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sunrace Cassette, Shimano Rear Mech, SRAM Chain – Compatible ?
  • trevmccdonald
    Free Member

One of my Bikes has got a Sunrace Cassette, a long-cage Shimano Rear Mech and a SRAM Chain. The Cassette and the Chain are brand new and the shifting is not good considering it Is new. Are these compatible ? Would simply getting a Shimano Chain improve things ? (That is the cheapest way I can think of to solve it?)

I really should never have changed anything from the original spec it never goes well!

It all started when I tried to convert the bike from 2×10 to 1×10.

nevermindthebutter
    Free Member

Got exactly that combo and it shifts like butter, and back pedals perfectly. (11-46, Saint 10-sp shifter, M8000 GS mech). Really happy with the setup.

mikedabear
    Free Member

For universal compatibility You would be best off getting a KMC chain .

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Same here, 11-46 (11 spd) SunRace cassette, SRAM X1 chain, XTR shifter and M8000 mech.

shifts sweetly, no back pedal issues.

richardkennerley

When Evans were having trouble getting mine set up, it turned out they were using a Shimano chain. This is with sunrace cassette and SRAM GX mech and shifter.

I didn’t realise this at the time (didn’t look very closely, just accepted that they were struggling.) I stopped in at biketreks @ ings on way out for a ride and the lad spotted it immediately, swapped it over and got it shifting spot on straight away.

trevmccdonald
    Free Member

My rear mech is a Shimano SLX 11 Speed. The Shifter is a Shimano 10 Speed.

The Cassette is a 10 speed Sunrace 11-42.

The Chain is a SRAM PC1031.

The bike mechanic said I need an 11 Speed Rear mech as the 10 Speed one wouldn’t cope with the large Sunrace cassette, and that the 11-speed Rear Mech is still compatible with the 10 Speed Cassette as long as the Shifter is 10 speed.

Shifting is still poor. ESPECIALLY Considering the Drive Train is brand new.

The chain It doesn’t slip, it’s just sluggish at changing gears and doesn’t always go into gear properly, requiring another shift to get it to stay in gear.

I’ve ordered a Shimano Chain to see if that solves the issue.

nemesis
    Free Member

Pretty sure the spacing isn’t 100% compatible between 10 and 11 speed – as such, I wouldn’t expect 11 speed mech to work with the 10s cassette flawlessly though there’s always someone for whom it works ok. (approx 0.3mm difference per shift which means even if you adjust for the middle gears, at the top/bottom you’ll be 1.5mm out which is enough to cause problems.

See this – https://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13036528

and this http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/xtr-rd-m9000-works-10-speed-drivetrain-947611.html

DezB
    Free Member

I wouldn’t expect 11 speed mech and shifter

Only his mech is 11 spd, which shouldn’t be a problem, like the mechanic told him.

I have a KMC chain, converted my bike from 2×10 to 1×11 without issue. (Shimano cassette though).

I would’ve bought a KMC chain first like someone suggested above, rather than a Shimano one, but hopefully that sorts you.

(Are the cables new too?)

nemesis
    Free Member

(Dez, i edited my post to make it clearer)

joemmo
    Free Member

if you’re exceeding the max sprocket size of the mech or adjusting for it with a lot of B-screw – have you tried a hanger extender such as this?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sunrace Cassette, Shimano Rear Mech, SRAM Chain – Compatible ?’ is closed to new replies.