Home Forums Chat Forum Stolen work PC

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Stolen work PC
  • footflaps

I’ve always kept my old work laptops at home as spares and just binned them when they finally die (destroying HDs / SSDs beforehand).

Cougar

No one said it was valuable – it’s just data.

So what’s the point in keeping it then?

But you know that. It’s your MO to respond like that.

I’ve no idea what you mean.

Important data shouldn’t be stored locally on a PC without some sort of reliable backup in place. “Policies” or no, it’s idiotic. What if it gets stolen? What if the hard disk dies? What are you going to do about your legally mandated data retention policy when your laptop is in a container halfway to Russia?

Wiping a laptop / desktop drive shouldn’t matter. If it does then the failure is elsewhere.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’ve no idea what you mean.

I know. It shows. Goodnight.

Cletus

A few years ago I had a loan laptop from a customer (public sector). I changed jobs during Covid and contacted the customer trying to arrange to return it. Sent at six emails and spoke with their helpdesk who promised that they would get someone to call me on three occasions.

Never got a returned call.

About nine months later I put an SSD in it and have been using it since. I have a record of all the emails and calls so have no real concerns about being pulled up for it.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

I didn’t sign for a work laptop so I ended up with two. I had one in the garage for Zwift. I got so used to having it I forgot it was not mine.

I got a call from the youngster in IT months later asking if I had two laptops as one was due for an upgrade and he had signed it out when he delivered it to to my site. I lied about it being in my locker and I would bring it to him the next day.

Embarrassing :)

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.