Home Forums Bike Forum Sticky Fork?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Sticky Fork?
  • mattslegg
    Free Member

I picked up a 2020 Whyte 905 on the weekend from a chap that bought it last year new and used it twice. Its basically immaculate and could pass as new so has had very little use.
    Ive noticed that when static the fork (Pike) almost gets stuck at the last 10% of travel and doesnt fully extended the final 10% unless I lift the wheel off the ground and pull down lightly on the lower fork.
    Is this normal for a relatively new, little used fork or do I have a problem?

Thank you in advance.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Limit to compression might well be an excess of tokens in the fork. Limit to extension might be that it has a B1 spring (which some people prefer).

I’d be having it apart for a lowers service anyway.

dc1988

Happens a lot with modern forks due to the bigger negative air spring, I think a rockshox released a different one can improve the issue

mattslegg
    Free Member

Is it anything to worry about or is it just not broken in?

Would it need a service already considering its not really been used?

dc1988

Nothing to worry about, just how the fork works. Assuming it all works as expected in every other way.

Onzadog
    Free Member

A lot of people service forks from new to check the oil volume. There’s nothing to lose by dropping the lowers and checking, it’s something you’d need to do regularly anyway.

If it’s caused by the two things suggested, neither will change over time. The fact that it sucks into the travel a little is a design feature. If there are too many tokens, the only way to remedy that is to remove some token(s)

joebristol

Sounds like a B1 debonair air spring – they never fully extend and sag very easily in the 1st part of the travel. But that’s not sticky – just air resistance.

If the fork genuinely feels sticky I’d pop the lowers off and regrease the lower leg seals / soak the foam rings in lower leg lube, then reassemble with the appropriate amount of lower leg line in each leg.

mattslegg
    Free Member

Thanks everyone

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Sticky Fork?’ is closed to new replies.