Home Forums Bike Forum Starling Roost – talk to me

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Starling Roost – talk to me
  • appltn

A while back I was considering whether a dirt jumper could do double duty as an occasional commuter. I decided not to go down that route in the end but now I’m back to thinking about a hardtail that can do a bit of everything to compliment the 160mm full suspension that’s not really ideal for family rides, getting around town and the odd dirt jump or pump track.

I like the look of the Starling Roost partly because just look at it.

But also because it has a 27.5 rear wheel so I think it could be very versatile. I’d have the option of running it full 27.5 as a kind of big person dirt jumper, I could put semi slicks on it and use it to get around on the roads or I could go mullet and knobbly tyres and use it for trail riding.

It isn’t the cheapest option for a hardtail but I’ve got a cycle scheme voucher burning a hole in my pocket (and an older hardtail and DJ bike to sell) so that would take the sting out. Who has one? How do you like it?

bobbyspangles
    Free Member

don’t have the roost but long time owner of a swoop.

finishing quality is superb and the looks (recent attractive full suss build thread aside) are pleasing on the eyes.

I’d love a roost and keeping my eyes open for a used one

honourablegeorge

I have one – I’m not much of a jumper, but it sure does flatter me. It’s the bike I take to the local trail centre, and it’s just brilliant fun, flicky, pumpy jumpy wee thing – 140 Pike ultimates up front, few changes since this pic.

I sold a BFe to buy it and while the BFe was a brilliant frame, this is just a little bit more fun, and a lot more shiny. I can only recommend it, I love it.

appltn

That’s lovely, what’s the dropper insertion like? It looks like there’s plenty of space, I have a 240mm oneup post in the shed which it’d be nice to find a home for.

honourablegeorge

That’s a 213mm Oneup in a large frame, I’m 6’1″ ish and it’s not slammed, easily 30mm below the collar, whether there’s 30mm of space lower down in the frame I’m not sure, the seat tube does kink slightly towards the bottom, just abut where the cable hole is.

Emails to Starling usually get answered by Joe himself, best way to be sure.

chakaping

I don’t ride hardtails any more and I wouldn’t want a mullet one, but these are gorgeous and you should definitely buy one.

Otherwise you’ll always be looking regretfully at whatever you buy instead.

appltn

With parts in the shed and the cycle scheme I think I can bring it in for about £2000 (£140 per month and £250 on wheels, freehub and tyres) with E4 brakes, SLX drivetrain plus Hope cranks, Nukeproof wheels from CRC. It’s very tempting.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.