Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Stans Arch mk3 cracking !
  • blastit
    Free Member

Just doing a bit of cleaning and noticed cracks around eyelets. Spoke tension is around 120kgf so under max,according to park tension meter. Anyone else had issues ??
    Worth sending back ??

cynic-al
    Free Member

Stan’s have eyelets?

Pics?

Andy

Only had an issue on an older Arch when built with over tensioned spokes. Well they werent over tensioned according to the TM-1 but kept getting snapped spokes and in the end stripped the wheel to rebuild and noticed spoke holes cracked. Build all my Stans wheels well under max tension (according to the TM-1) now.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    blastit
    Free Member

No sorry no eyelets just holes. Front is ok built to same spec

blastit
    Free Member

What tension are going to ?

dirtydog
    Free Member

120kgf see first post, I’m guessing wheel will see peak tensions much greater when under load.

benpinnick

I’m guessing wheel will see peak tensions much greater when under load.

Some parts will some won’t. Tensions drop under load but climb again under torque (drive and braking), so it does depend on which side of which wheel is causing the issues.

blastit
    Free Member

Its the drive side

benpinnick

Thats no surprise as drive side has the highest tension of any of the spokes due to the lowest angle into the rim and then they get mashed about a bit by the torque from your pedalling too, just to make it worse.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I rebuilt my rear alpha with washers after a nipple pulled through, the tin got badly corroded (I drilled a new hole)

singlespeedstu

Thats no surprise as drive side has the highest tension of any of the spokes due to the lowest angle into the rim and then they get mashed about a bit by the torque from your pedalling too, just to make it worse.

Mmmm that’s interesting as i’ve had a WTB Scraper rim on the rear crack around all the holes on the drive side despite relativley low tension.
    Maybe it’s to do with the extra torque that’s being created from running B+ tyres…

andyl
    Free Member

is that the tension with a tyre fitted or before?

Max tension is given as 125kgf so 120 is cutting it a bit close and I suspect the tolerance of your tension meter is way outside of that 5kgf

blastit
    Free Member

Its with tyre fitted so maybe a bit of an error on my part.
    Not had a problem with my crests.
    What tension should I be aiming for ? and should I replace with the same ?

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Recalling this old thread I thought I better check my Arch MK3 rims(on custom CRC wheel build)…unfortunately found around 7 cracks around driveside rear wheel rim holes like this:

So worth checking now and again.

martinhutch

Worth sending back ??

I’d say so, judging by the similar problem with Flow Mk3s that has been reported on here recently.

Wider rim, same weight compared with Arch Ex…perhaps not quite as strong as Stans would like you to think.

Hicksy
    Free Member

I’ve just had a Flow replaced under warranty as it had done the same thing. It would be worth contacting the supplying dealer.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve already sent an email off to CRC,just thought I would share this in case others had or indeed maybe didn’t know they were having the same problem.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

I’ve just noticed the same cracks on my Easton haven…..

Northwind

The Mk3s are pretty dang light for what they are, maybe they’ve just cut things a bit too fine.

tdog
    Free Member

I have some white 29er Flows and I can swore I thought I saw slight faint lines as if the paint is beginning to lift.

But it’s iirc not near the spoke holes but edge close to where v-brake pads would bite area.

I doubt anything is wrong with mine but bookmarked by replying.

thedude
    Free Member

I just checked the mk3 arch on my 60kg girlfriends bike and pretty much every driveside hole one is cracked and some you can feel a distinct raised section.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

One shiney new rim,it only took CRC 6 weeks to replace it.
    I did ask them what went wrong,they said they only knew one thing for sure and that was it wasn’t incorrectly built by them as Paligap(Stans Distributor) would have charged them for replacing it.So I’m hoping what was wrong with first rim has been rectified in new one,fingers crossed.

riklegge

I’m in the market for new wheels and was considering arch or flow MK3 rims. Have the cracking issues been sorted now? How have those with replacement rims fared?

Alex

My mate built me a set for my smuggler. In a 1000km they’ve been absolutely fine and that includes smashing them around BPW with my normal inability to pick decent lines. The rear needed truing but only after I smacked it into a bank at high speed.

So for a sample size of one, I’d say they are fine!

bigyan
    Free Member

They do not like being over tensioned, I have a couple of sets in just now that have been over tensioned and are deformed around the spoke hole. I would suggest building with a tension meter, they are not as tolerant of over tension as some other rims, just building “good and tight” does not work well.

For reference Flows with Schwalbe tubeless tyres drop 20-30kgf when the tyre beads seat.

cynic-al
    Free Member

spoke washers “might” help.

aidieb
    Free Member

My friend and I both bought a set of  wheels with crest MK3  29″ rims. 6 months in and I noticed my rims had cracked at the drive side spoke holes, I mentioned it to him and his were the same on closer inspection. They’ve just been replaced on warranty but they’ve come back and the drive side spoke holes are all slightly pulled out of shape as if they’re over tensioned. !!

Concerned about the life of these wheels. Talking to the supplier.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

The front rim has gone the the same way as the rear now,multiple cracked / bulging spoke holes but this time only on the brake side.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Stans Arch mk3 cracking !’ is closed to new replies.