Home Forums Bike Forum Specialized versus Maxxis

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Specialized versus Maxxis
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Seeing as my Euro millions are running abit low, I have been on the hunt for replacements for my 29 Maxxis Crossmarks who have done good service. Tyre prices have gone up massively and I ended up looking at Specialized  Fast Traks at £30, tubeless ready.

I have had Spesh 26 inch tyres many years ago and they were good. What’s the situation now?

All thoughts welcome.

Kramer
    Free Member

I haven’t used those exact tyres, but I’ve been pleased with the quality of the Specialized tyres that I have tried, and they’re great value for money.

LAT

they were recently updated and improved. the easy way to spot the new ones is by how they describe the compounds (T5, T7 and T9 and possibly other numbers).

i have a butcher and an eliminatior (i think) on my bike. they are reasonably light, tough enough for me and grip well.

munrobiker
    Free Member

For XC tyres, Specialized are good. All their tyres are flimsier than the competition but they don’t pinch at the bead anywhere near as easily as Maxxis.

If you ever ride in mud I’d not run a Fast Trak on the front – I was riding in some filth yesterday with one on the back and it was slidy in a fun way, but on the front you’d just be crashing. I tend to pair them with a Ground Control up front.

If you only ever ride stuff where grip isn’t too much of a concern, you could run them front and rear or even put a Renegade on the back.

LAT

All their tyres are flimsier than the competition but they don’t pinch at the bead anywhere near as easily as Maxxis.

i believe the recent updates have addressed this.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve got some T9s and they are not tough. Punctured on a fire road yesterday.

Kramer
    Free Member

I’ve spent two weeks smashing through rocky Alpine gnar on a T7 and a T9 with Cushcore in?

Northwind

I haven’t used the latest ones, but the Fast Trak is, well, fast. I’d say slightly faster, less overall grip than a Crossmark (probaably pretty similar in a straight line but the fast trak is a pretty oldschool “same tread all over” design so it doesn’t have a lot of side grip), and a bit less tough. Good tyres but fairly specific.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for the ‘Fast’ replies. I rode the Maxxi’s in dry conditions a couple of years ago in NZ, on some pretty hairy routes; Fisher Track, Old Coach Road, Riverhead we were going to do the 42 Traverse but it was washed out. They did very well and have no punctures with tubeless set ups.

The Spesh range does look good, how they can keep prices lower than everyone else is good, how tyres are approaching £50 each is unfeasible.

LAT

I’ve got some T9s and they are not tough. Punctured on a fire road yesterday.

interesting. what kind of puncture was it? a hole through the tread kind of thing or a snakebite/rim impact?

mccraque

I’m running a Fastrack Grid T7 as a replacement for a Forekaster on the rear. So far so good. Very fast and good summer grip – but quite a round tread rather than any shoulder lugs.

I’ve done the SDW 100 and also raced a xc marathon last weekend. Nice blend of weight (I’m heavy for xc racing) and durability.

Alex

I ran a T9 (2.6) Butcher on the front and a t7 (2.3) on the back of my FS.  Rimpact in the rear. Rear was very light, never punctured it but it felt really sketchy under braking compared to Maxxis/Schwalbe. Front was great, lots of grip  and a decent weight.

Swapped them for 2xDHRIIs (3c front/exo rear/2.4WT) and the DHR’s felt considerably more draggy on the road. They are definitely heavier (esp rear), but in sloppy conditions yesterday was very happy to have made the change.

I’ll keep the Spesh tyres tho – I think I paid £55 posted for the pair on an offer. Only swapped as I had the DHRII’s in stock.

chakaping

I have a lightly used Crossmark 2 here (29in x 2.3 or 2.35 IIRC).

Ping me a DM if you’d be interested in saving a few quid secondhand.

munrobiker
    Free Member

@LAT – a big cut in the tread from a rock. Every Fast Trak I’ve ever owned has punctured on the first ride then settled down, which seems strange. I ran a Hillbilly on the front and it’s the only front puncture I remember for a long time – same pressures as a Maxxis it had replaced. I gave it to a friend and he’s given up on it because it punctures so often. I’m happy with their tyres for XC but wouldn’t think of using them for anything more serious.

LAT

@munrobiker

that would put me off! we’re the tyres using the “grid” or “grid trail” casing?

i’m not trying to labour the point, actually interested in your experiences

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Thanks once again for your replies and advice.

The Gods must have been reading the forums as I found some Spesh 29x 2.35 Ground Control 2Bliss Ready T5’s at £16.99,  a £5 voucher and free delivery; good deals are still out there kids!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.