Home Forums Bike Forum Specialized ANGI

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Specialized ANGI
  • 1timmy1
    Free Member

Just been reading about this and it looks pretty good for when your riding alone. Does anyone have it and can feedback on it’s performance? Are there many false positives? Does the app work on Android properly (it gets rubbish reviews on the play store)?

roadworrier

I have one, and it worked fine.

Never had a false alarm. I did once have an off big enough to set things in motion, but you can set a decently long time limit in which to de-activate the SOS, and I got to it on my phone in plenty of time (20 secs remaining).

The app is fine on Android for pairing with the device and tracking your progress. Anything other than that, and it’s a bit clunky, but other apps (Strava, Viewranger) work fine whilst connected to the sensor, so no issue there.

I’ve used past tense above because my hat’s about 12 months old, and battery has died. In the meantime, I’ve got a Garmin, which does a similar thing, so not yet felt the need to replace the battery. But will get round to it at some point soon.

Overall, it does the job it was intended to do (very) well.

1timmy1
    Free Member

That’s good to know about no false positives and activating when it was meant to. I’ve been thinking about getting a Garmin with incident detection but I read it’s really sensitive and on a MTB you get loads of false positives. How has your Garmin been?

austy
    Free Member

Got one too since lockdown and riding on my own and never had a false alert.

Runs fine on android (Sony Xperia XZ1)

Thankfully never had to use it in anger yet so don’t know what it takes to activate it.

Battery still showing full on the app for it and doesn’t seem to affect phone battery life either.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

shit on android

works perfectly on apple

roadworrier

How has your Garmin been?

It is really, really sensitive. Too much so and much more so than the ANGI sensor. But it does do location sharing.

1timmy1
    Free Member

I’d only use the alert feature on the app, so as long as that bit works on Android then that’s fine for me. I might go for one even if I get a Garmin, can’t be dealing with it going off while riding normally. Then the Garmin can location share and the ANGI can deal with crash detection’s.

savoyad

How has your Garmin been?

My experience is like @andrewreays’s on this. Mine routinely false alarms. It’s a pain – mildly annoying if you have a free hand to cancel it but positively dangerous if it goes off when you need both hands on the bars. Way more likely to unnecessarily frighten your contact than to communicate any useful or authentic information about an incident.

londoncommuter
    Free Member

I’m about to buy a Prevail with this on and have no interest whatsoever in it as I don’t carry a phone with me. Does anyone know if can be removed easily from the helmets that come pre-fittted with them and would it be easy to attach to another helmet if I sold it on? Thanks

peteimpreza

“works perfectly on apple”

Oh no it does not.

Its easy to remove from the Prevail, just a couple of small screws.

1timmy1
    Free Member

I’m about to buy a Prevail with this on and have no interest whatsoever in it as I don’t carry a phone with me. Does anyone know if can be removed easily from the helmets that come pre-fittted with them and would it be easy to attach to another helmet if I sold it on? Thanks

When buying just the unit it comes with 3m sticky pad to attach it to non Specialized helmet. My plan is to use strong velcro sticky pads and a zip tie to attach it to my helmet, so I can take it off to put it on my full face for the odd uplift day.

darksideby182

So I’ve had mine since before last Christmas and it worked great then a few updates (around march/April) then app became poor with it disconnecting and not tracking but this was sorted pretty quickly (with updates) and has been working fine this is on Android on a Samsung S9. I did have an off a few weeks back and it activated fine and cancelled ok never had a false positive.
    App regularly gets updates and the Angi itself has had an update in the time ive had it. The app tracking is about a mile less than Strava on a ten mile ride.
    I would definitely recommend for the cost.

onehundredthidiot

Seems to quickly draw the battery on my android phone and seems to be clunky but then I live in an area with areas that lose reception. That’s a pita.

londoncommuter
    Free Member

1timmy1 – sorry, as I really hadn’t meant to turn this into an ad but if you were interested in one at a discount drop me a message on here. Thanks

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

I have an ANGI mounted via the stick on mount (think about £7 IIRC) to a GRIO lid and connected to Android (on a Samsung S7 if it helps) and it has been entirely cup cakes and rainbows my side.

No worries at all, yes it has updated once pre ride, nothing a few minutes didn’t fix, integrated seamlessly into my Wahoo elemnt and has given my Mrs peace of mind and a backup real time trck (on top of wahoo) for when I am out.

The only thing I would flag is most trackers use GPS and mobile data – always good if you have good GPS and data signal – not so good if not.

James

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Specialized ANGI’ is closed to new replies.