Home Forums Bike Forum SPD & SPD-SL Pedals – my observations

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • SPD & SPD-SL Pedals – my observations
  • four
    Free Member

Just thought I’d share my thoughts on SPD and SL pedals for road bikes as the comparison often gets asked.

These are just my observations with no scientific fact or theory – I’m also just an ordinary average 50 year old rider and no racing snake.

SL Ultegra – nice secure feeling and no complaints.

SPD XTR – nice secure feeling and no complaints.

Basically both pedals perform equally when riding, hills and flats, in and out the saddle. I use stiff carbon sole shoes and notice zero difference in power transfer between the Ultegra and XTR.

Using a yellow cleat on the SLs I notice a similar amount of float with the XTRs – I have the tension set at maximum and experience no slackness or roll on either pedal.

The only real difference ‘for me’ are the obvious:

Ease of entry/clipping in with the SPD over the SL.
    Ease of walking in the SPD.
    The SL look more racy and better suited to a road bike in terms of aesthetics.

I’ve two sets of Ultegra and two sets of XTR (current models and the last previous). I really wanted the SLs to be ‘better’ so I could justify the difficulty in walking and better aesthetics, but for me the power transfer and comfort levels are the same – no hot spots etc with either.

So for me I’ll be sticking with the SPD although on my summer foreign cycling ventures I may pop the SLs on just go look more ‘the part’.

FOG

Being mainly an mtber when I bought a road bike I automatically put spds on it. However, riding with roadies, I felt I should give 3 bolt a try. I went through three sorts of road pedal before I gave up and went back to (caged) spds. I do use road shoes but only because I had bought some and they take 2 bolt cleats although I am happy to use mtb shoes as well. With my limited available leg power spds are more convenient and work fine.

molgrips
    Free Member

I use XC race SPDs on the MTB and SL with road shoes on the road bike. I much prefer the road setup for road use (surprise) because it feels much more secure for my foot. It’s a combination of the shoe and the pedal that does it.

Also, SPD cleats wear in such a way that they get loose, whereas the plastic ones don’t.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Spd sl for road as a default, they were cheaper than the looks. No issues with them at all really.
    Gravel it’s a set of candies as the plastic dies too fast. After that it’s Mallet dh. Just don’t like the feel of the shimano mtb ones.

prawny

I prefer proper SPD-SL on road bikes, SPDs tend to rock a little, plus whatever I do I end up with a metallic squelch from one of the pedals, it doesn’t matter how old the cleats are or what type of pedals.

I do use SPDs for commuting though, it just makes more sense.

whitestone
    Free Member

People road tour long distances using SPDs so there’s no intrinsic problem with them for road use. Some shoes might not have enough support which will lead to “hot spots” on the soles of your feet but that’s not a problem with the pedals per se.

Most people seem to pick one of the systems and stick with it unless pedals and shoes wear out at about the same time when they might try a different one.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

For anyone experiencing hotspots with spd pedals I’ve found the M8020 deore xt pedals to be really good at providing more support to the foot. I still use Look Keo grey on the road for summer but winter bikes have the converted pedals on as I prefer mtb soles on my shoes in wetter and slippy conditions for walking.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Most people seem to pick one of the systems and stick with it unless pedals and shoes wear out at about the same time when they might try a different one.

My choice was about keeping a nice set of road shoes clean, means I can’t just put the road shoes on cause I can’t find my MTB ones

JAG

I use MTB SPD Cleats on Road shoes with these pedals on both of my Road bikes and they work very nicely….

avdave2

I use Shimano PDA600 SPD pedals on the road bike. I already had SPD shoes and winter boots and couldn’t see why I’d want shoes that were difficult to walk in.

BadlyWiredDog

I think anyone riding with MTB SPDs on the road is lacking a fundamental understanding of the deeply miserable, inherently conservative, unflinchingly humourless culture of road cycling.

The point is never whether something works more or less well, but whether it would seem out of place on a 1930s club run. Hence disc brakes, however well they work are the work of the devil. Tyres wider than 19mm are dangerous, new-fangled nonsense. Always tubs over tubeless, which is something best left to mountain bikers etc.

So while the OP is well intentioned, his post is – in the context of ‘proper’ road riding – an irrelevance, Proper road riders will still be using proper pedal clips and straps with lace-up leather shoes – not the johnny come lately Rapha variety of those either.

HTH

finbar
    Free Member

BWD, what club do you ride for? I’d fit right in :D

(I am in a minority of one so far in that I use Time RXS on the road bike. They discontinued them years ago, but I stockpiled quite a few pairs. Brass engagement points means the cleats last forever, unlike all other road cleats….)

prawny

Antoehr reason to use rod pedals is that road shoes are much nicer.

Also, it’s almost impossible to use Belgian booties or toe warmers with MTB shoes. Both of which make you look like a legend.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Still using my 2006 Time ATAC XS Carbon SPDs from before the QC issues, but I’m getting tempted to try the Time XPro10 SPD-Ls on the road bike and get some “bling” carbon soled shoes at the same time… I can always use the old pedals/shoes on the fatbike.

clubby

Used to think the same until I tried proper road shoes and pedals.
    A stiff road shoe and 3 bolt cleat give a much more stable connection.
    I do concede you can get a similar feeling from a mega stiff carbon MTB shoe and new cleat, but as they wear the rocking does get worse.
    For me it comes down to one thing. Any MTB shoe stiff enough to be comparible with even a basic road shoe, isn’t a shoe I’d want to do any of my MTB riding in. Road riding I don’t need to walk, except for very short distances, ie kerb to cafe :)
    MTB I could be walking/clambering over all terrain.
    Pedals are the same price, and entry level road shoes tend to be much stiffer than the same priced MTB shoes.
    Commuting/touring aside, for proper road riding it’s a no brainier to me.

lunge

I prefer proper SPD-SL on road bikes, SPDs tend to rock a little, plus whatever I do I end up with a metallic squelch from one of the pedals, it doesn’t matter how old the cleats are or what type of pedals.

This. Plus, not hotspots (my MTB shoes are carbon S-Works jobs, so it’s not a stiffness thing). Also, I find road pedals easier to clip in to as they hand the right way. They’re a pain to walk in, and the cleat wear but they’re the right tool for the job IMO.

sarawak
    Free Member

I use mtb shoes and Shimano M520 bombproof pedals. I can ride 50, 60, 70 or even 80 miles with no problem at all. Main benefit to me is that when off the bike I can walk like a normal person and not do the roadie duck waddle. No danger of one leg shooting out from under me, though that seems to be obligatory at cafe stops.

nicko74

But what about gravel bikes, where you’re riding road and rougher roads? What’s the perfect pedal then?!!

clubby
    nicko74

:D

four
    Free Member

Good mix of experiences chaps and in the interest of further research I will swap pedals tonight to SLs and do a back to back comparison tomorrow- I’ve been out this morning on SPDs.

I doubt anyone is interested as my findings are just personal, but I will feed back after the ride.

molgrips
    Free Member

I use mtb shoes and Shimano M520 bombproof pedals. I can ride 50, 60, 70 or even 80 miles with no problem at all.

Oh don’t get me wrong – using SPDs on road is not a problem in the least. I just prefer road pedals that’s all. The rigid bend at the toe of road shoes might have something to do with it, but I don’t know.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve always found MTB pedals to be just a bit ‘sloppy’. There’s not really uncomfortable, or slower, or anything like that, but road pedals feel more stable for me, and a bit more solid, and that’s enough. Leo Keos FWIW.

ransos
    Free Member

The point is never whether something works more or less well, but whether it would seem out of place on a 1930s club run

You think that clipless pedals were used in the 1930s?

Haze

Speedplay.

Perfect blend of double-sided, float, stability and incompatibility with walking.

clubby

four, to make it really scientific can you do a ride with one of each ;)

Haze

SPD left and SPD-SL right, then switch them over to allow for imbalances?

Mister-P
    Free Member

I can walk perfectly well in my carbon road shoes with SPD-SL cleats. To be honest when I’m dressed in lycra at a café I don’t think it’s the way I walk that people are laughing at.

molgrips
    Free Member

Another thought. Because you don’t have to walk in road shoes they can be much more snug – mine hold my foot snugly all round, like a rigid glove. This means that I can pedal nicely in circles much more positively than with my MTB shoes.

four
    Free Member

Clubby / Haze – I think you’ve got something there! I’m on it 😂

four
    Free Member

Okay many of you probably haven’t slept waiting in anticipation and excitement for my feedback on pedals from today’s ride.

Apologies for the delay as I fell asleep after lunch – I’m not as young as I once was…..

Anyway, back on the Ultegra SLs today and mucho concentration on feel, action and performance.

Okay I will admit I may have jumped the gun slightly in my first post and if I concentrate on the pedals then I can notice a difference, is that difference major? No it’s pretty slight for me but there is a difference in stability underfoot, security of lock in and foot action.

I did nearly go bum over elbow in the cafe toilet on a tiled floor but overall the minor improvements will have me back on these pedals on bot( road bikes.

I’m glad I’ve micro analysised pedals (I live a full and interesting life eh) as it has lead me to a ‘better’ choice for the road although being honest these minor changes are not going to bring new KOMs or have me hitting new PRs on Strava on their own.

Thank you for reading this PSA and I hope it has helped those wanting a view on SPD Vs SPD-SL for the road.

Conclusion: In isolation and without an anal examination both pedals appear similar with no clear winner. On concentrated observation the SLs slightly edge it.

prawny

Also. More pro looking.

dovebiker

Road shoes for road riding without a doubt – closer shoe to pedal, plus a more positive connection. I’m still riding some Time Impact titanium pedals – very light, nice float and cleats last a long, long time.

I do switch to SPDs with MTB boots for winter – warmer, more frequent cafe and puncture stops.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘SPD & SPD-SL Pedals – my observations’ is closed to new replies.