Home Forums Bike Forum Spd/flat pedals

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Spd/flat pedals
  • rockbus

I want to get some pedals that have spd cleats one side and flat on other so don’t always have to wear mtb shoes when away in the van, any recommendations?

arnoldm
    Free Member
    ElShalimo

I splashed out on some Shimano XT8000 last year

I really  like them. Expensive but they’ll last me 10 years

mudfish

We spend such a lot of time seeking decent grippy flats and also SPDs that suit our clip in technique that I’d just swop pedals for your trip.
    Those combo pedals look like town / commute suitable really.
    Looking down to get the right side would scare me. I suppose a technique can be built but I never got on with combo pedals.
    Pedal chive is pretty personal –
    Some flats are ace, some horrid as we all know. It’s going to be a compromise too far imo.
    I swing between Kona WahWah composite flats (unbeatable grip, thin, large) and CB Mallet DH (CB cleats allow shuffling the foot backwards to clip in, safer).
    Best of both worlds. No compromises.

rockbus

Thanks all
    Sorry, shouldve been clear that this is for my gravel bike rather than MTB so no real need to worry about any gnarly conditions!

Bruce

Another vote for T8000 XT treking pedals. They have lasted for years on my commuter bike and have proved great.

ratherbeintobago

I think there are quite a few options. I’ve got some TIME ‘commuter’ pedals on the HOD which have clips on one side and flat on the other; also looks like CB do some (Doubleshot).

Hope don’t have any plans to do a single-sided Union pedal, sadly.

pisco

I have the Time Link commuter pedals. On the plus side, they are solidly made and reliable, and the clipless side always defaults to up, which I love. They have the road legal reflectors too.

The main downside is that the flat side has virtually no grip.
    Also, you’ll need Time brass cleats.

donslow

I’ve got a set of these, I use egg beaters almost exclusively so come in handy every so often / when the occasion calls, they work well IME and cost less than a new set of pedals

Nikou SPD Pedals, 1 Pair Pedal Platform Adapter, Bicyle Aluminum Alloy Bicycle Pedalless Platform Adapter For SPD(Black) https://amzn.eu/d/b8lKtSq

tjagain

I find those types of pedals useless.  I tried them.  The one sided ones are always the wrong way up when you try to put your feet on them and don’t work as well as either a dedicated flat or a dedicated SPD.  Only used shimano ones tho

I would take two sets of pedals.  Seconds to change them.

Bruce

There’s a nack to them if you want the flat side you pull your foot back, if you want the spd side you move your foot forward.

leffeboy

Xt8000s are great, got them on nearly all my bikes now.  No problems selecting the correct size.  If I absolutely, 100% had to hit the right side e.g. for a big jump then I would do it but that isn’t me.  For everything else they are great

ratherbeintobago

I’d forgotten Look had changed theirs from TIMEalike to SPD compatible. Anyone any experience?

pyranha

I’ve had Shimano M324s since I first tried SPD nearly 30 years ago – my bike, then, was used every day for commuting, shopping etc, so being able to ride with any shoes was important, and I wouldn’t have wanted to have to change pedals all the time. On my main bike, I’ve now got Sonder Jekylls, which are good. As above, never had a problem finding the right side.

rOcKeTdOg

this is for my gravel bike rather than MTB so no real need to worry about any gnarly conditions!

Posted 1 day ago

gnarly conditions on the grav bike is what makes it fun!

rootes1

As above Shimano XT T8000 pedals are very good (the previous version was less good, but they have added little pins to the flat side now)

very easy to select either side.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.