Home Forums Bike Forum Sonder Signal ti

• This topic has 34 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Sonder Signal ti
  • wheelie

Has anyone bought or ridden one? I would be quite interested to see how you got on with it.

nowad
    Free Member

If I had I would had bought one! Look sweet as.

Test ones available at alpkit? Give em a Call, brilliant people. Just bought a frontier.

Mbnut
    Free Member

This is currently top of my HT list…

Will plan a test ride after the summer hols.

crashrash

trying to avoid it cos I know I want one…..N+1

Looks great, should ride well and the price is good. Still love my Solaris though.

cupotea

I’m still struggling to decide between a Signal and Solaris Max. It’s making my brain hurt.

dthom3uk

Same dilemma for me. Damn my indecision.

cupotea

Out of interest, how tall are you?  I’m 6’2″ and torn between L and XL on both.

dthom3uk

6ft 1 I was going to go for the large. 

wheelie

I’m  5′ 4″ so would be good to try the small when they have a demonstrator. Standover, reach and stack all look fine for me. The only reservation  i have is whether  a 29er would suit my height.

I mainly ride QECP red and blue, SDW or IOW or Vassiliki.

nowad
    Free Member

I’m 6 4 and went xl on the frontier.

fatmountain
    Free Member

Just to join the discussion;

Anyone got a Ti Sonder? I’ve been looking at:

Broken Road Ti
    Ti Signal 29er

Both of these machines seems great. I’m not too sure about the Sonder wheels though – general consensus is that they are sturdy but heavy?

I was actually in the Lakes yesterday and looked at the Broken Road in store. Wow! It was light compared to my steel rigid mtb!!!

Are the frames well made? It looked fine to me – plus ten year warranty.

Given most big brandname Hardtails are in the £1500-2000 bracket for Alu, Steel, is there any reason not to get on of these Ti Sonders?

On a sidenote, I was speaking with Sonder the other day and now the decals are sand-blasted onto the frame, which makes the branding far more subtle.

Cheers
    FM

nuke

Love the look of the Signal ti but got hung up on the low BB: 65mm drop & im taking it that that is based on ‘optimised for 130mm’ forks. I was thinking of possibly using short forks for now (use what you’ve got) which would drop it further. Not sure what too low would be though.

singletrackandi

I’ve ridden one. It was a medium I’m 178cm. It was shorter than my personal bike but so much fun!! Fast and poppy

https://singletrackworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/first-look-sonder-signal-ti-29er/

cupotea

Oh it does look good in that picture! I don’t suppose you’ve ridden a Solaris Max as well?

singletrackandi

Nope, I haven’t actually, but I’ll try and get out on it before it goes back. The reach on the Cotic is considerably longer than the Sonder, around 30mm difference on the medium. It will be interesting to see if it is as playful. I own a Shan GT, and would say the Sonder is more comfortable on the rough stuff but can’t be sure if that’s due to the ti frame or the big tyres as I only had a single ride on the Sonder.

Merak

I got a large I’m taking out for the first time tonight, I’ll let you know if the trails come alive. I feel excited.

postierich
    Free Member

The Sonder range will be at http://www.southlakesbikefest.com for you to test ride and decide

dthom3uk

@merak, that looks nice. What is the weight of the build you have?

Merak

Mine is the entry level build. I really enjoyed riding it tonight, the geometry feels good for me @ 5’11 on a large.

I like the long wheelbase and the internal cables, quiet and clean. The wheels are hefty though, something lighter would make it feel even better. I’ve got a couple of titanium roadbikes so I knew it would feel less harsh than everything else.

I really wanted one of these since they were mooted early this year and even though the wheels are heavy, Im not disappointed.

If I could have stretched to the all singing version I would but first ride impressions are good.

wheelie

Merak, did you get to ride the Sonder any more this weekend?

cupotea

Hey @Merak,  any more feedback?  I’ve put an order in and need something so keep me going for the two weeks until new stock arrives.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Any more reports on how these ride?

Merak

It’s great, I love it.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Short and sweet 😊

What bike did you have before? I’m thinking of changing from a full Susser ( smuggler) is it relatively comfortable ?

Ta

cupotea

Mine will be getting its first outing tomorrow.  Very excited to see how it rides.

Merak

^ When did you order yours cot?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Looks good- what size is that?

cupotea

@Merak 26th July, I think. I was going to go for a full build but I wanted to change a few too many things so went frame only.  After that it just got a bit silly. From starting as a winter hardtail project it’s ended up far fancier than my full suss’.

@pop larkin  It’s an XL.  I’m 6’2″. The dropper is 170mm drop, a few spacers under the stem and a 30mm rise bar. Initial bounce in the lounge seems pretty bob on size wise.  Full review to follow tomorrow evening!

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I’m a smidge over 6ft so thinking large- keep us posted on how the first ride goes!

Merak

@cup o tea, it looks great!

oddkiwi
    Free Member

Hi, Cupotea, How are you enjoying the Signal Ti ? Any update on how it rides ? Thanks

dthom3uk

I’ve had mine a couple of weeks now.  I got the large with a Pike up front.

I love it.

On the first ride I managed to comfortably beat some of my own long standing downhill PBs on Strava.  I’ve come from an old steel Genesis so the change in geometry was a big revelation for me.  The big wheels really do roll over stuff I had to ride around on my old bike.

The only change I’ve made is to convert to tubeless.

cupotea

@oddkiwi  I couldn’t be happier with it.  Coming from a very slack 160mm bike I was worried it would feel limiting but it’s really not. Very playful but very stable. I’m happy hitting most things I thought I would only do on my other bike.  The faster you let it go the better it feels.

The thing I love the most is how it corners. It’s my first 29er so maybe they are all similar but it feels so planted and carves though turns. For fairly aggressive (urgh, that term!) geometry it climbs great as well. Enough length to breathe properly and not feel cramped, and I’ve not felt the front wander or lift.

Another very positive  side effect is how much it has improved my riding. It’s so much easier to manual and wheelie but as soon as I got back on my Bird I found I was riding that a lot better than before as well. Happy days!

I really need to take some better pictures but I’m too busy enjoying riding it!

Another thumbs up for Alpkit/Sonder as well.  Every member of staff I have dealt with are obviously hugely enthusiastic for what they do.

Oblongbob

Just got my xl frame today. Ordered it ages ago when they had the 15% off sale, so was a good price. Can’t wait to build it up! Looks lovely. Time to get ordering bits!

I’m assuming it wont take a front derailleur…but does anyone happen know offhand? I haven’t actually checked if there is even cable routing for one and can’t get to it to look just now. I’ve got GX on my full suss, but find it not to be the best, and the derailleur is a major weak spot. I’ll probably go Shimano 1×11, but would be tempted by 2×11 if doable – I know, I’m a bit behind the times and actually quite like front derailleurs, especially after a long day’s riding or after a few laps of Strathpuffer.

Alex

My mate brought his to the FoD last weekend for its inaugural ride

FoD – MTB Autumn 2018

Looks lovely. Built up with Yari/SLX/etc so not especially light. 2.3 tyres look really thin in the frame. Can take a 2.6 apparently. His is a L and he’s 6ft1 maybe. It’s not super long.

He was really going well on it – well once he’d fallen off it once :) Nice looking bike for the money and seems to be really well sorted as a fun trail hardtail.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Sonder Signal ti’ is closed to new replies.