Home Forums Chat Forum So what motorbike do I want?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • So what motorbike do I want?
  • dogbone

I have a full licence and a budget of £2500. Mostly for a 15 miles commute (on the days I don’t cycle it). Top of the list is a BMW R65 (edge of classic bike territory).

Must look good. Slow is good. No points ignition.

Any suggestions..

dave661350

I wouldn’t fanny about with a 35-40 yr old bike as a commuter (will that be all it is used for?…in which case, buy a £2k biggish scooter). I’d add a few hundred more and get something like this…..70mpg, belt drive, heated grips etc

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202401085352898?sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_bikes&make=BMW&model=F800GT&postcode=ab101ab&fromsra

sharkattack

I’ve got a Himalayan but it’s my first bike so nothing to compare it to.

Tall, comfy, slow, can be found for £2500.

drnosh
    Free Member

R80’s series are better than the R65.
    Properly set up they will last ages and are very reliable.
    Plenty of spare part sources for this range.
    Avoid GS models…..expensive.
    R80ST are good but rare (I have one, but I’m not selling).
    Year 83/84 no tax required.

PM me if you want some guidance on the BMW’s.

rOcKeTdOg
    dogbone

My son did 5000 miles around Europe on a CG125 in the summer. He’s aiming for an A2 licence so a R65 could be shared ‘a bit’. I’m after a bike that I can commute rather than a commuter. No scooters.

I work in the office 3 times a week and only need the drive / ride in once or twice a week. Drnosh – I will be tapping you up for some help…

dogbone

I do have a soft spot for a big(ish) thumper.

https://www.carandclassic.com/l/C1622113

jaminb
    Free Member

I bought a Honda Deauville with 25,000 miles for £2k a year ago. My first bike after passing my test and 5,000 trouble free commuting miles later pleased with my choice. It is heavy but feels fairly planted overtaking lorries on the motorway, I can get two bags of shopping in the panniers and my work rucksack in the top box. Probably need a +1 for fun but don’t have the time for any green lanes at the moment.

tjagain

r65 is a great bike but old heavy and slow.  Old being the key thing.  dunno for sure but I would think point ignition

What you need is a big scooter

binners

On the same big(ish) thumper theme suggested by @dogbone – just having a look on marketplace, I’d be going for this. XBRs are really nice, but XT’s are bloody great fun! Right on budget too

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1873799886347450/

CE12D1D8-945F-4861-8442-27743FDD06FA

bensales
    Free Member

A black one. Always a black one.

Unless you want to go faster. Then a red one. Cos everyone knows red ones go faster. Physics innit?

bedmaker

Wot TJ said, a big scooter sounds ideal.

I’ve gone through lots of ‘fun’ old bikes, including the XR650r pictured above all supermotod up.

Now, I’m on a ‘boring’ bike, Honda NC750X, and it’s by far the most fun bike I’ve owned.  It shouldn’t be, but it is.

That said, the whole ‘fun’ thing in bike chat is nonsense anyway IMO.  Travelling at 70 perched on two wheels is inherently fun / scary whether on a scooter or a Hayabusa.

You’d get an older NC700 for your budget.  You’ll be riding instead of fettling.  Also doing 70mpg without trying.  My old XR was hotted up a bit and did sub 30mpg with a tiny tank, it was a total ballache…

dartdude
    Free Member

Scoot if you want less maintenance and prolonged tyre life.

Motorcycle if you actually want it to hug the road more, grip, handle, go, brake etc better.

I personally have ridden a 250 cc auto yammy scoot.

Drz 400

Then jumped up to a 700 single thumper

tjagain

for your 15 mile commute is it all urban? dual carriageway?  country roads?

The problem here is the difference between want and need.  Scooters are much better for urban commutes indeed for any commute – easy to ride, weather protection, luggage space etc.  Just a bit dull

r65 while slow would be nice for sunny days riding in the countryside but being so old will need attention and not ideal for a commute especially in town

Dickyboy

Aren’t BMW r65s getting into hipster cafe racer territory – I’ve more money than sense?

My old XR was hotted up a bit and did sub 30mpg with a tiny tank, it was a total ballache…

+1 anything that won’t do 100miles + to a tank is a total ball ache.

+1 for Deauville, F800gt etc but I have no idea on a2 licence requirements

alric
    Free Member

drz400 sounds good. enough speed, a little offroad fun, less maintenance than a xr400, very capable in the twisties in the right hands

kayak23

Obvious choice is a Himalayan.
    Excellent low power motor, extremely practical for luggage. Rugged, Upright and comfortable. Cheap replacement parts with tons of aftermarket bits available. Good for mucky lanes and surprisingly awesome on twisty roads. Very strong owners groups for any issues.

The release of the new one should see a few proper bargains come up.

Just try to forget about overtaking. 👍

Himalayan thread

kilo

Yam 250 scooters are good, they are also very nippy and have a horrendous insurance tax – first company I tried refused to insure me (big ncd, parked off road) after them it was just steep. Dropping  to a Harley sportster saw my premium go down by £300. They’re great commuters other than they fact that they encourage you too ride fast! However they are not a motorbike and after three or so years I decided to go back to a proper motorbike.

R80s were getting snapped up for cafe racer conversion but that fad may have passed. K75, or k1100rs are good bikes, had a 1100rs as my work bike and it was fast and comfortable. K1100lt is a pig and avoid.

Mutts are just shit bought by people with an image issue .

Honda cb750 for old school thump?

Himalaya looks like a really good choice and would be my choice from those listed above.

Check on ULEZ if going into a city, my last two bikes both needed work to be ulez compliant (883 sportster and Honda c90), not a problem just extra cost.

BadlyWiredDog

Top of the list is a BMW R65 (edge of classic bike territory).

Must look good. 

I haven’t ridden a boxer-twin for a very long time, but if you’ve learned to ride on something modern and Japanese, I’d definitely get a test ride before committing. They’re properly agricultural and the shaft drive can make it feel quite clunky, not as bad as an old Guzzi or Harley, but a bit of an acquired taste. I’d also query the aesthetics, but it’s all very personal. 

If you like BMW bikes, maybe take a look at the F650? Other than that, I have no idea :-)

mattsccm
    Free Member

Enfield Bullet. Later 500s are reliable and bomb proof. Plenty of styles and the fuel injection gives mega mpg.

kilo

You might be able to pick up a RE meteor for budget as well.

tjagain

My goodness some odd bikes being recommended!  Offroad machines, heavy old tourers, retro bikes, chinesium shite.

finishthat
    Free Member

I had an R65LS around 20 years ago , at the same time a Z650 and an XT600 , they were all classics then so now will be 40 years old , maintenance will be required and whilst commuting would be very good for the bike it will need a sharp eye for any upcoming problems – clutch cables and wheel bearings – all general maintenance but at that age something will be getting dried out no grease lasts that long . On the plus side parts from somewhere like Motobins are easy , the carbs require fuel with as little ethanol as possible. Riding an R65 today – very significant point there about gearbox/gear change T takes time to get used to and if riding in stop/start traffic will be a bit of a pain , on more open roads it’s nice – revvy needs rpm to get going but is really comfortable and stable encourages thinking ahead roadcraft type riding so meets op criteria.  R80 feels much bigger smoother more powerful but not realistic at the budget , modding Older BMW has made a mess of a lot of nice cheap bikes 

XT600 really fun bike  lots of presence on the road I found drivers noticed you – maybe because it was red/white and the headlamp was high enough to be at head height for drivers those days , most XT entirely worn out now but still possible – must be electric start , mine was kick only and was a pain to start if neither cold nor fully warmed up, none of the modern big singles are really thumpers but they do have character.

finishthat
    Free Member

Why does some not read the op posts about what they want?

1- no scooters

2- character/looks wanted

3- No points

4- budget 2.5k

5/ slow – second tier licence compatible

hot_fiat

KTM duke 390. Bags of character, decent enough power, if you look hard enough it’ll have ABS, small and light enough to flick around in traffic.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202401045246347

Paradiso
    Free Member

Post 1981 R65 has more power.  Parts are expensive, but bikes are simple and durable.  I’ve just rebuilt/restored an R65LS.   Siebenrock do an 860cc conversion for the smaller capacity BMWs.  I’d echo other comments about gear change, but they have a charm aswell.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Is there any flex in your budget? Looking on auto trader you can get a Yamaha MT-07 for £3k

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Nice tidy Yamaha R1…..

sharkattack

Is there any flex in your budget? Looking on auto trader you can get a Yamaha MT-07 for £3k

I went through my test on one of those and found it horribly uncomfortable for anything over an hour.

Im 6’2″ and I just felt too big for it.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I went through my test on one of those and found it horribly uncomfortable for anything over an hour.

Im 6’2″ and I just felt too big for it.

Yeah, they are quite a compact bike. I’m 5’8″ and fits me fine but agree they could be cramped for a taller rider.

TheFlyingOx

KTM Duke 390, £2500 is right in the sweet spot for the 2013-2014 era models.

I had one to commute to college back when I was retraining. 40 mile each way, mostly motorway, and it was fine on that but so much fun that I’d more often than not take the long way. Quick enough but not fast, I think mine topped out at about 90mph, but supremely maneuvreable both in town around traffic and when on the B-roads. It was decent enough on fuel as well, I used to get ~120 miles out of a tank from petrol light being on to petrol light coming on again and that cost me about £13 at the time.

rt60
    Free Member

For a commuter the only answer is a Honda VFR 750/800 in the best condition you can afford.

slowsslow
    Free Member

Late 80s/early 90s Honda Transalp xl600v.  Brilliant bikes, lots around for c£2k.

I have 9 motorbikes – I know, I know – from BMW classics to pure dirt bikes, to a Ducati Desert X and the Transalp is one of the ones I ride the most because its so lovely…

grizzly
    Free Member

Definitely don’t get a scooter! Might as well drive the car!

For a commuter the only answer is a Honda VFR 750/800 in the best condition you can afford.

This. Or a Hornet or CBR600F. I had a 2003 CBR for four years, used all year around for everything (never had a car) and, other than tyres and servicing, only had to replace a headlight bulb in over 40k miles. Enough power for the road to be fun but keep your licence. Comfortable and reliable. Still my favourite bike I’ve owned.

tjagain

Late 80s/early 90s Honda Transalp xl600v

Closest thing to a sensible answer yet.

dogbone

Last week there was a R65LS on Car and Classics for £2500 which I just missed, so they are around. The commute is Bristol to Portishead, so if I pay for the Bridge it’s 3km of city riding then A road. The other way is a small section of motorway.

I was a motorbike courier for 2 years on a MZ251, so I am more than used to agricultural. I also have a garage and am happy to tinker.

kayak23

Late 80s/early 90s Honda Transalp xl600v

Closest thing to a sensible answer yet.

Really? A 30/35 year old bike as a reliable commuter?
    Ok then. 🤔

tjagain

I said nearest.  :-)  some of the other suggestions are absurd

Dickyboy

Aprilia Peggy Sue – I’ve had my eye on this one for a while, better than an older transalp.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/395002674029

Edit- would need restrictor kit for A2 licence.

kayak23

I said nearest. 🙂 some of the other suggestions are absurd

A Himalayan isn’t 😉
    Although I’m a terrible Himmy-pusher I admit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.