Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • So today, I tried Flats for the first time … 😬
  • hardtailonly

Long time user of SPDs for all my riding. But bought some Nukeproof flat pedals in the CRC firesale, and some cheapish flats from Evans to try.

I’m wanting (I think) to use both, and be able to switch between them depending on what I’m riding.

But, what kind riding suits which pedals?

In my head, I’m thinking ‘just riding along’ / XC type riding, to stick with SPDs. Also, rocky riding. But then, steeper off-piste stuff, and maybe jumpy stuff, use flats, so it’s easier to stick out a foot, dab, tripod, bail if need be?

First ride today. I didn’t make my shins bleeds, so will take that as a win. But, I didn’t like it for jumps (I’m sure I need to change my technigue), and a few times, found my foot lifting unexpectedly off the pedal, eg climbing a technical section.

So, when should I ride flats/clips?

What do I need to learn/unlearn/do differently?

And any links to some good basic YouTube vids for flats-novices would help.

Ta.

crispyrice

Flats to the pub.

sl2000

It’s a big effort to change. I switched 4 years ago after 20 years riding only clips, and treated it a bit like giving up smoking – so flats for all riding.

Kramer
    Free Member

When I first went back to flats from clipless, I tried to bunny hop and jumped off the pedals and impaled myself on my stem. 😖

Anything that involves more skill than pedalling I use flats these days. So technical descents, jumping, steep stuff. The reason that I like them is that they give me immediate feedback in the same way that a hardtail does. ie if my foot position is wrong I bounce off the pedals rather than go over the bars.

convert

Firstly, you are probably putting your foot on the same place on the flat pedal you do when riding SPD – try moving your foot forward a bit so the axle is across the sole on instep of your foot rather than nearer the balls of your toe like where your cleat is.

Secondly, on a skills day with Jedi, he had me sort my shin bashing issue in about 10 seconds by tipping my brake levers up a little! With the fingers up a little your wrists are pressed down a bit more so on little landings your wrists ‘break’ and palms go down into the bike weighting your feet rather than your wrists rotation over the front of the bars followed by your body and unweighting your feet. Weighted feets don’t fall off pedals.

Lastly – flats make you realise how crap/lazy your technique has got and how much you ‘lift’ the bike up with your feet rather than preloading and timing little jumps and bumps.

Kramer
    Free Member

Firstly, you are probably putting your foot on the same place on the flat pedal you do when riding SPD – try moving your foot forward a bit so the axle is across the sole on instep of your foot rather than nearer the balls of your toe like where your cleat is.

I was going to say this too. Easier to put my heels down and “lock” myself to the bike.

I tend to switch as the mood takes me. At times I’ve ridden only clipped in for years.

Then I’ve spent time clipped in on the FS and flats for the HT to keep it playful.

When I got the big ebike I was convinced I needed to be clipped in to stay attached to such a big heavy lump. I found the torque when climbing techy sections (especially wet roots) often caused the back wheel to spin out and I’d be on the deck clipped in before I knew it – so I’ve switched back to flats and will definitely stick to them for that bike (maybe just swapping them out for somewhere like BPW). Also don’t need the pedalling efficiency (albeit some say the pedalling efficiency associated with clips isn’t really a thing).

When I built the Big Al up, I stuck with my thinking of flats for the HT – but it begs to be ridden hard and I’ve found that I feel way more confident on that clipped in. Only time I’d consider swapping them back now is maybe if I know we are going somewhere and sessioning steeps for the majority of a ride

Northwind

IMO, all pedals are absolutely fine for pretty much anything. Maybe not best. but fine. But for pretty much any use, you’ll feel less good on whatever pedal you’re less familiar with, so don’t jump to a conclusion too fast, you’ve got to actually get decent at it and that can take a while. Just because you do it without thinking doesn’t mean it’s not a skill after all. I’d definitely stick with easier riding initially, and yep be especially wary of jumps when going from spds to flats as the whole “jump with the bike” skillset can be rusty.

Also, most people who only use one pedal type would benefit from swapping to the other for a bit and getting good at that too. Both pedal types teach you things and find different holes in your skills. It’s not that you can’t get as good on one pedal type, it’s just, you probably won’t.

franksinatra

I just put SPDs back on my bike today after trying flats for a couple of months. I just don’t like them or see any gains. Each to their own but flats are not for me.

alan1977
    Free Member

Pretty much the only time I ride on flats now is on my road/commuter bike. Anything slightly rough I’ll stick to clips.

Going back to flats makes me slightly nervous nowadays must admit.. i definitely have picked up lazy habits in 18 months

sirromj

Until you’re confident with flats, only ride with flats.

I stayed with flats and my SPDs are rusty now.

reeksy

I did the same, but once I was confident with flats I realised I still preferred SPDs so went back to them.

They are definitely easier for coaching though, so with that about to start up again I might swap back.

didnthurt

When you ride with flats, you need to compress into them before a jump, and allow the bike to come up with you. You’ll be used to just lifting the bike with your feet, this will take a while to unlearn/relearn.

Also riding in the saddle all the time will be a thing of the past, probably why flats and hardtails go so well together.

didnthurt

Being able to swap between flats and clipless is ok now for me but took a while to get used to.

Even now, if I’m riding a certain bike with flats at the weekend, it’s a good idea to have another ride in that setup a day or two before, “just to get my eye in”

dyna-ti

Flats ? get shin pads. preferably ones similar to the hockey type.

The very very last thing you want is to get an infection in your shin from the crud thats out there..

convert

Flats ? get shin pads. preferably ones similar to the hockey type.

Or follow the advice I was given and passed above and your shin gashing woes will be solved with a tweak with an allen key. You can move your lever back after you have got into the habit of putting your hands in the right place.

nickc

But bought some Nukeproof flat pedals in the CRC firesale, and some cheapish flats from Evans to try.

The key to flats for me – at at least semi-technical MTB, as opposed to riding to the pub, is decent shoes. They do make a difference, especially on longer rides, better (stickier) rubber, stiffer shoes, it all adds up. Slapping on some cheap pedals (that may not be the best for you), and some OK-ish, but not great shoes, isn’t really giving you the best opportunity to see what you prefer, I appreciate that you have to start from somewhere, but if you’re going to try it, give yourself a good starting place.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’m guessing cheap shoes from Evans might be some nice five tens.
    Give yourself time and build up to harder stuff. Get used to the flats on easier trails so you have time to think about what you’re doing with your feet. Pumptracks are great for this as are nice rolling flow trails.

hardtailonly

Slapping on some cheap pedals (that may not be the best for you), and some OK-ish, but not great shoes, isn’t really giving you the best opportunity to see what you prefer

They are Nukeroof Horizon pedals, and Fiveten trailcross shoes, so decent enough I believe?

Thanks everyone, helpful to have the advice and experiences. I’ll persevere for a bit in trying to get used to them.

I’ve put them on my HT for now. Is that a good or bad idea? Or should I just put them on whatever bike I’m riding at the time?

Any tips/videos for jumping properly? As this is an area I have decided I want to improve on (especially gap jumps, even small ones freak me out!). Maybe I shouldn’t be trying to progress with my jumping at the same time as trying flats?

joebristol

Different techniques and foot position between the 2. I tend to flip flop between flats and spds depending on my mood. Generally my hardtail has spds on more  of the time and the fs bike flats. Although after running spds on the fs bike for BPW earlier in the year I’ve been preferring them as your foot is always in the same place but with flats you can start a section with the wrong foot position and it’s very hard to change it then (superstar nano Evos with 5-10 impacts).

When doing steep tech it is nice to know you can get a foot off quickly and then get it back on a pedal quickly again though – and flats do teach you better habits than spds.

joebristol

Just seen your last posts – I’m not the best at jumping but when I had some coaching the technique I was taught was to be leaving the top of the takeoff ramp with straight arms – pushing the bike up (like a manual) rather than trying to pull the bike up with your arms. I find practising that more comfortable with flats on in case you need to bail off the back.

snotrag

Rather than picking a camp and sticking to it, the best practice is to just flirt both ways as and when you feel like it.

I spent years going all in to one or the other camp but nowadays I regularly swap pedals and shoes around depending on seemingly not much, just what I fancy that day.

nickc

They are Nukeroof Horizon pedals, and Fiveten trailcross shoes, so decent enough I believe?

They do seem like decent choices 👍

Kramer
    Free Member

Maybe I shouldn’t be trying to progress with my jumping at the same time as trying flats?

At my coaching session with Skillsloop I was told that if I wanted to get jumping right then I needed to be doing it on flats as clipless lead to poor technique which will make it harder to progress as I got better.

convert

Agree with this.

Rather than picking a camp and sticking to it, the best practice is to just flirt both ways as and when you feel like it.

But not so much with this. Do your brain a favour and do just flats for a few weeks/months offroad so you are not constantly remembering what you are currently on in the millisecond before that little jump/bump.

failedengineer

I did the same recently.  After 6 rides I’ve admitted defeat and gone back to (Time) clips.  I just couldn’t get used to my feet bouncing off unexpectedly when pedalling on rough stuff.  Going down was fine, maybe better than clips, but for everything else, no.

BillOddie

But, what kind riding suits which pedals?

You do you, but for me all my MTBing is on flats now – partly down to knee injury, but not sure I’d go back to clips even if I could.

MOST PEOPLE GIVE UP FAR TOO SOON! You need to stick with it for a few months if you’re riding twice a week. Especially if you’re old and have decades of inbuilt muscle memory.

In my head, I’m thinking ‘just riding along’ / XC type riding, to stick with SPDs. Also, rocky riding. But then, steeper off-piste stuff, and maybe jumpy stuff, use flats, so it’s easier to stick out a foot, dab, tripod, bail if need be?

I would use them for everything for a while then go back to clips only when efficiency is a priority AND you’re confident on them.

First ride today. I didn’t make my shins bleeds, so will take that as a win. But, I didn’t like it for jumps (I’m sure I need to change my technigue), and a few times, found my foot lifting unexpectedly off the pedal, eg climbing a technical section.

What do I need to learn/unlearn/do differently?

Techy climbs got me a for a while, but it’s now a pretty rare occurrence i lift my foot off. Imagine trying to scrap shit off your shoe on the pedal/pushing your foot back into the pedal on those crux moves you get on a techy climb.

Jumping/dropping, I found trying to keep the front heel down and the back heel up seemed to help.

FWIW – after riding flats for the best part of 30 years I can count the number of times I got whacked on the shin on one hand, most people who suffer than I suspect cheap out on pedals or shoes or tried flats in the pre-FiveTen era.

Bunny hopping – took me ages to get there and I’m still not jumping gates but I can hop drainage bars, logs and what not.

Videos – there are soooooo many on Youtube.

This is the one that really helped me… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGcWNy8oZmo&t=7s

The Cathro How to Bike series is well worth a (re)watch  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGsNvd9EhvQ&list=PLQCfPUTFFOkmsIbQkvW2L6YM6KOLy8ElD

franksinatra

You need to stick with it for a few months

But why? What is the advantage? I went back to clipless at the weekend and it just felt right.

monkeyboyjc

30years of riding spds and I’ve tried many times to quit…. But every time I’m back on the clipped in train within a week. It’s an addiction I just can’t quit even though I know.my rinding will progress further with a flat pedal…..

BillOddie

But why? What is the advantage? I went back to clipless at the weekend and it just felt right.

For me (aside from the lack of pain from my ruined knees) flats are more fun. YMMV

franksinatra

Th knee thing is interesting. I am fortunate to have never had knee issues. I did once read that the float you get from SPD’s may, in some cases, give you more movement during a pedal stroke than what you get form decent flats and shoes. This article was suggesting that SPD’s may, in some cases, be better for knees than flats.

joefm

Sounds like you need to practice bunny hopping tbh.  push down to unweight.

convert

This article was suggesting that SPD’s may, in some cases, be better for knees than flats.

I’d agree with this (and said the same in the thread about flats for gravel riding). To be honest if you like riding with spds then maybe stick with it. The benefit I found going to flats (I came back to mtb after a ‘career’ of road based competition – hence ‘convert’) was it made me work harder on my technique which has made me a more competent rider – on flats or spd. I still ride spd or spd-sl on gravel and road bike mind. And Spd in snow and ice is rubbish in comparison to flats with issues of icing and balling up.

elray89
    Free Member

I’m the opposite – I struggle with SPDs when I’m mountain biking. I have them on my XC Hardtail which is generally fine and they’re way better for hammering it on the climbs and flats, but I can feel quite uneasy on sustained descents. I think I like the feeling of my “whole foot” being supported by flat pedals, whereas on SPDs I sometimes feel like I am balancing the ball of my foot on a needle, even though my shoes are very stiff. Dropping the heel feels quite insecure, even though I know they’re ratcheted up tight and will not come out.

Perhaps a flat enduro pedal with SPD clips would help with this, but I am stubborn in wanting to get better at the XC style!

I have never really had many crashes on my bikes, but the majority of them come from messing up techy climbs whilst clipped in haha.

BillOddie

Th knee thing is interesting. I am fortunate to have never had knee issues. I did once read that the float you get from SPD’s may, in some cases, give you more movement during a pedal stroke than what you get form decent flats and shoes. This article was suggesting that SPD’s may, in some cases, be better for knees than flats.

My knees are **** from other sports in my youth as much as anything. Basketball/Judo/American Football/Rugby/Jiu Jitsu are all knee killers and along with riding bikes that’s how I spent my youth/twenties.

Riding along was fine, the issue I was having is that after a decent MTB ride where you unclip a few dozen times left my left knee sore as **** for days afterwards.  Swapping to flats has almost entirely removed pain from that knee. The only time it’s sore now is after a very long day in the hills on rough terrain on foot with the hound.

Kramer
    Free Member

Part of the reason I like flats is because whenever my feet are getting bounced off them it’s because my technique and bike position has been wrong.

Clipless are hiding the problem not fixing it.

hardtailonly

But why? What is the advantage?

This is kind if where I’m at …

I’ve gone into this “try flats” thing primarily for a quite specific use-case scenario. As my riding has progressed (from trail/XC), and I’m attempting a bit more off-piste/enduro-y/steep(er) stuff, most of which has been fine on SPDs (platforms with clips and pins), I’m getting to the point where certain ‘crux’ moves, I’m not attempting. So, a tight, rutted, steep turn, where you eg drop off a log/root/rock, into another rut with more rocks/roots, requiring either a very precise line, and you’re having to balance you/the bike in 4D, navigate the turn etc, control your speed and braking … in these cases, I’m thinking/hoping that flats will allow me the confidence to try the move, as I can get a foot out, tripod down or if it all goes wrong, tumble down the hill not being attached to the bike!

I’m open to there being other benefits too, and persevering with it, but that’s where I see the ‘hoped-for’ advantage.

johnx2
    Free Member

I’m thinking/hoping that flats will allow me the confidence to try the move,

This is the sort of reason people I know have moved to flats (also that they’re better for the pub, and just cooler than spds. Fact.) And it’s probably why I did a few years ago after many years clipped in. I think it’s partly to do with bikes getting more capable and so you find in spite of yourself, you’re trying more nadgery things. And that’s as technical as I’m going to get.

I’d imagined it might give me more confidence with wheelies and manuals. Ha ha ha no!  But it does feel more fun somehow with (small) bunny hops, jumps, drops. These took some time to come but come they did. I should probably have had some coaching or done a bit more practicing to accelerate this, but from mainly just riding it all feels v natural.

I do know folks who having ridden flats for a few years and got that confidence, have gone back to spds. I might do the same on my hardtail for those longer XC type rides with some road in them. I do the occasional xbike ride and zero confusion clipping in, but then it’s a v different kind of riding. The one or two times I tried clipped in on my Occam it just didn’t really work. With one proper comedy slow motion topple. (Disclaimer: frankly shite rider here). 

chiefgrooveguru

I had a confused moment of thinking this was about bass playing! Rounds for me.

Never ridden clips on a mountain bike and only twice on a road bike. Used to ride with toe cages and straps (on a rigid Muddy Fox with the saddle at full height) in the first half of the ’90s which seems completely mental now!

convert

Never ridden clips on a mountain bike and only twice on a road bike. Used to ride with toe cages and straps (on a rigid Muddy Fox with the saddle at full height) in the first half of the ’90s which seems completely mental now!

Point of order. What you used to ride were toe clips. With or without straps. The road and track version had a cleat on the bottom of the shoe too with a groove across it that engaged with a ridge on the pedal. An SPD shoe and pedal is actually a ‘clipless’ system as it didn’t require a toe clips. Even though we often talk about being clipped in. I know, messes with your head a bit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.