Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • So, I find myself in Beverley…
  • Harry_the_Spider

Got an afternoon to kill here on Saturday with the family. Is there anything that I should see?

johndoh
    Free Member

Go to the Sea Life Centre in Hull?

Harry_the_Spider

Got to be in downtown Beverley.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Does your wife know?

perchypanther
    Free Member

So, I find myself in Beverley…

Is it any wonder she’s looking so surprised?

Dirty Boy!

dirtyrider
    Free Member
    woody2000

Ditch the family and go to the Beverly Real Ale Festival 🙂

http://www.visithullandeastyorkshire.com/Beverley-Beverley-Real-Ale-Festival/details/?dms=3&venue=2173633&feature=1001

Minster, Sat is market day

BillMC

Be careful driving round there

crispedwheel
    Free Member

+1 on cafe velo.

NewRetroTom

You should check out Nellies (aka the White Horse Inn). A somewhat bizarre establishment which still has gas lighting! Yorkshire folk aren’t ready for this new fangled electricity nonsense.

http://www.nellies.co.uk/

Also go for a walk on the west wood.

willard

Wander round the minster. It’s quite nice.

bikebouy
    Free Member

sloppy (kebab) seconds?

flyingmonkeycorps

The Bee Hive does really good food. Would second the Westwood and the Minster. You’re about fifteen years late for the Army Transport Museum, but that was ace in its day.

razorrazoo

Pop in and say hi to my Gran, she’ll have cake and biscuits?

Otherwise it’s the Minster, pootle round the shops and walk on the Westwood. Can’t think of much else to do that’s immediately local.

You’re about fifteen years late for the Army Transport Museum, but that was ace in its day.

That’s brought back some childhood memories.

mrblobby
    Free Member

luffy105
    Free Member

I live in Beverley… It’s market day on a Sat so that is nice to have a wander round. There are a couple of pretty churches to wander round too if that floats your boat.

Cafe Velo – Superb cycling centric cafe and the food is good
    Nellies – great dingy old boozer with gas lights coal fires etc. very atmospheric but not ideal if you have kids with you.
    Westwood – big ole stretch of common land that is pretty and nice to have a walk on
    The Westwood Restaurant – Superb place for a nice lunch. Not the cheapest but very good – I am biased though.
    Softplay – if your kids are very young then there is a softplay centre. Personally I hate them but if you need to kill time.
    Leisure centre – Pool, skatepark etc. Decent size and reasonably priced.

In fairness there is a fair amount just to walk around. The town is pretty and the shops are generally good. Sadly the Army Transport Museum is gone as that was a superb museum to walk around.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

If you have a fetish for Ti Road bikes, give Rich a buzz

http://www.baldwintitanium.co.uk/

There’s a really cool roadie-themed cafe in town too, Rich know where it is.

Tell him Sam sent you 😀

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks.

I think we’ll just have a mooch around the market and wander down to the Minster. Already got a restaurant booked and I’m driving, so can’t do the café or pubs.

Razorrazoo, I’ll say hello to your Gran. Shall I bring Jaffa Cakes?

razorrazoo

Razorrazoo, I’ll say hello to your Gran. Shall I bring Jaffa Cakes?

Not sure she’s into the whole orange thing, best keep it simple with a Mini Roll.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you have a fetish for Ti Road bikes, give Rich a buzz

Oooh nice 🙂

luffy105
    Free Member

Every day is a school day… Never knew about Baldwin Bikes… they look lovely. A quick stalk turns out we have a few friends in common too. May have to go and have a look at those 🙂

OP: Have a fun Day! Where have you booked for lunch?

Harry_the_Spider

Going to Prezzo. Tesco vouchers and kids’ menu. Double win for us.

luffy105
    Free Member

Yeah, those Tesco vouchers are brilliant for Prezzo, Pizza Express and the like! Plus the kids always enjoy it

Harry_the_Spider

Yep. One of ours is T1 diabetic and we’ve got a carb scored menu which helps too.

Long live Evil Tesco and their voucher schemes. 😀

flyingmonkeycorps

Never realised there was an outdoor skatepark in Beverley, I’ll have to check that out.

luffy105
    Free Member

@flyingmonkey: it isn’t much but seems popular with kids. I also seem to recall seeing another privately owned one appearing on fbook recently so might be worth researching too. I don’t know much about skating so can’t comment on how good they are.

flyingmonkeycorps

Aye I know about the Tasr one at Tokenspire, it’s not amazing but it’s cheap and the guy who owns it is a top chap. Need to get back there actually!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Burgess for ice cream.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

you could admire the bypass I built?

and go and see the hundreds of signs on the new Grovehill junction?

scaredypants

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Burgess for ice cream

scaling new levels of implausibility here, flash 😯 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

?

Have they shut or something?

scaredypants

no, but they’ve set up in East Yorkshire

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ah. I see.

Was a childhood treat whenever we were in the area. (Lived in S Yorks and had family at Driffield and Leconfield at times as well)

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Mountains?

luffy105
    Free Member

Burgess has all but gone these days. I think they have a van or two but sadly the cafe is no more. Shame really as it was great.

smogmonster

Such a shame about the AT Museum going…i remember as a kid i won a prize at Beverley Grammar School fair for a ride round the town in a WW2 armoured car from the museum. Bloody awesome…got some right funny looks as the driver tried to squeeze through North Bar Within.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘So, I find myself in Beverley…’ is closed to new replies.