Home Forums Bike Forum Snake Pass closure

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Snake Pass closure
    slowoldman

14th – 25th Oct. Derbyshire County Council actually having some consideration for cyclists this time.

https://x.com/Derbyshirecc/status/1843954472642646346

BadlyWiredDog

https://road.cc/content/news/council-prefers-if-cyclists-did-not-ride-snake-pass-310645

You’re allowed up the Glossop side apparently. My advice is not to then ride the Pennine Way slabs over towards Mill Hill on a gravel bike, it is purgatorial in an endless, percussive sort of way. Don’t ask how I know etc…

nbt

If there were a nicer way to get from here to Glossop, id do this on the tandem, but mrs nbt is not keen on the idea

BadlyWiredDog

Canal to New Mills, Mellor Road, Gun/Shiloh Road, Charleswiorth, down to Broadbottom, right onto TPT nto the back of Simmondley, thread across Glossop on back roads? It’s mostly pretty quiet if slightly lumpy. Or out of New Mills up St Mary’s to dodge Mellor Road?

IHN

I was reading somewhere that there’s every chance that Snake Pass will go the way of the Mam Tor road; it’s just one, reasonably likely, decently serious, andslip away from being unrepairable.

crazy-legs

I was reading somewhere that there’s every chance that Snake Pass will go the way of the Mam Tor road; it’s just one, reasonably likely, decently serious, andslip away from being unrepairable.

Yep, it’s taking up significant chunks of Derbyshire’s entire annual roads budget.

nbt

It would last longer if it wasn’t used by hgvs, but there are farms and others dwellings accessed from the road so i doubt it would close completely. It’s WAY longer than the broken road by a factor of miles

IHN

Another good reason, if anyone needed one, not to live in Tintwistle. You think the traffic is bad now…

ssboggy

As far as I’m aware there is another huge area of concern near Doctors Gate that has potential for a landslip which could close the road!

Investigation work is going to take place during the upcoming closure.

the-muffin-man

…to add to Snitterton, Holloway and Beeley!! [insert grimace face]

crazy-legs

Investigation work is going to take place during the upcoming closure.

In the shape of a full length trench across the road at the Doctors Gate culvert. Just in case anyone was thinking of haring around the corner from the summit and descending to the landslide area, don’t bother – you’ll be faced with various large digging machines and a bloody big hole in the road.

Richie_B

…to add to Snitterton, Holloway and Beeley!! [insert grimace face]

Can I add Stanton Lees to that list.

If you look at the DCC roadworks map the A6 north of Darley will be shut with a suggested HGV diversion around the Via Gellia which is also shut (I realise now that one is shut during the night and the other during the day but they don’t go out of the way to make that clear). Getting I have had use four different routes to get to work so far this week because of different closures.

paddy0091
    Free Member

^ Snitterton (sadly) reopening soon.

Resume as a ratrun.

CountZero

Where there’s a will, etc…

There’s a road that leads up to Lyneham from Chippenham, and which switchbacks up a pretty steep scarp from the flat lower land along the River Avon. The road has always been… uneven, shall we say, and could get quite exciting for the unaware driving up or down it.

Several years ago, somewhat inadvisedly, someone dumped about a thousand tons of topsoil on the land at the top, to level it for exercising horses. It then rained. A lot. The significant extra weight added to the ground above the road, forcing the road to slide down the hillside, which it carried on doing for months.
    Wiltshire County Council are now just starting reconstruction work on the road, which isn’t a main road, but is a major inconvenience for a lot of locals, and it’s going to cost around £5 million!

It’s going to take more than a couple of blokes with shovels…

thepodge
    Free Member

The council can prefer all they like but either the road is closed or it is not.

DCC are kinda rubbish at following the rules & filling in all the paperwork properly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.