Home Forums Bike Forum SLX 4 pot pad recommendations

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • SLX 4 pot pad recommendations
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

I currently have resin finned pads on mine and I just don’t rate them. Seem fairly noisy even after breaking in and tried cleaning pads and discs and still get the same.

Also the fins are so noisy and not being a particularly fast or aggressive rider I don’t think I need them and the rattle does my head in.

Was thinking of just getting some Shimano metal ones or open to suggestions.

Uberbike maybe? Race matrix vs Kevlar ones?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I use Racematrix on my XTs. Whether I’d recommend them is an interesting question…

The brakes as a whole, or at least the back one, are a huge disappointment.

Been through about 6 sets of race matrix pads I think in about a year.

The fact that the calipers leak fluid onto the pads probably doesn’t help.

chakaping

Are you getting honking noises from the Shimano resin pads? Or just rattling?

Surprised if the former, I generally found them very good.

Sintered tend to be louder than resin generally, don’t they? Might be worth trying some cheap resin and sintered pads and seeing which you prefer? I find Superstar are good for both these days.

qwerty
    Free Member

I always use non finned Shimano resin pads in my SLX 2 pots, they work fine, they only time they squeal is when wet & cold, as soon as they get hot the water doesn’t make them squeal.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Noise is only coming when coming to a full hard stop. Under light braking no noise. Took them off too see how they look (pic attached). Both front and rear making some noise.

The rattling is terrible. Front the worse. Maybe I should just try a set of non finned resin ones and clean up the discs and go again.

chakaping

For the rattling, try bending the spring clip out a bit more, if you haven’t already.

I think that fixed the issue when I had it on one of my brakes.

singlespeedstu

I’ve tried most of the cheap pads on my Saints and given up with all of them.
    They’re all a bit shit in one way or another.
    Now use either sintered Shimano or Galfa reds.
    Always trouble free and last a whole lot longer.

dc1988

I noticed that with my current Shimano brakes, the OEM resin pads have significantly more material than aftermarket ones. The Shimano pads are about 2/3 pad material and 1/3 backing plate, the aftermarket ones are about 50:50 so you’ll get a lot more life from the OEM ones. I assume the sintered Shimano pads are the same but I don’t know.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Will have a nose at the Galfa ones.

granny_ring

I noticed that with my current Shimano brakes, the OEM resin pads have significantly more material than aftermarket ones. The Shimano pads are about 2/3 pad material and 1/3 backing plate, the aftermarket ones are about 50:50 so you’ll get a lot more life from the OEM ones. I assume the sintered Shimano pads are the same but I don’t know.

This.
    I’m about to replace the discs & pads on the shimano deore 4 pots.
    I’ve just bought some sintered & kevlar pads from Superstar and noticed the difference as well in the thickness of material.
    Also ordered some cheap ones of Aliexpres after reading a thread on here, still waiting for those to arrive.
    Will update when I’ve fitted and tested.

jayx2a
    Free Member

I’m trying to figure out which superstar ones fit the SLX 7100.

Chart seems a bit out of date!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 Galfer

(I use greens on the good bikes and blacks on the commuter)

poah
    Free Member

using noah & theo ceramic on my saint and Zee brakes.

chakaping

I’m trying to figure out which superstar ones fit the SLX 7100.

Chart seems a bit out of date!

Saint, Zee etc.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Found the pads. Kevlar or organic for lighter all round all weather use?

mtbfix

I put the green SwissStop pads into my Shimano 4pots last year because it was all I could get at short notice. Not cheap, but powerful, quiet and good wear rates. Recommended.

chakaping

Kevlar or organic for lighter all round all weather use?

Haven’t tried kevlar for years (found them noisy), but I use Superstar resin as my default.

They’re not quite as good as Shimano resin, but close enough and I very rarely get any noise in my Zees or Deore 4-pots.

Obviously they’ll honk like a flock of Canada geese if you buy them though :D

silasgreenback

I find 99% of the pad squeal is poor caliper alignment. No different to old school rim brakes squealing if the pads didnt toe properly.

If i drag the brake and they glaze they’ll squeal but all other times its the alignment.

If you brake and can see the disc move – badly aligned. If you can see one pad hit first – badly aligned. If one end of the pad is closer than the other – badly aligned. All of which cause squeal or noise to some extent.

Everyone says calipers push evenly and self centre. Both to a point. But in reality they dont and why 4 pots are more hassle than 2 pots to set up.

If you have rattle when the brakes are applied then thats a serious problem as the pressure of piston to pad to disc should stop the rattle.

Just get non-finned to stop normal movement rattle. Shed loads cheaper than finned too.

mtb1234
    Free Member

I have the XT 4-pots. The rattling pads annoyed the hell out of me! Took a long time to realise it was the pads making the noise. I read that it’s the fins that make the noise so I bought a finless set of shimano sintered pads and the rattle was even worse. The pads are a loose fit inside the caliper, front to back. They need to be a millimetre or so longer. As a temporary bodge I cut up a puncture repair patch and stuck pieces of it inside the caliper where the pads touch at the ends. It’s got rid of the noise, and seems the have survived a day at Whistler bike park, but I havent actually looked to see if there is a load of melted patch in there now!

reluctantjumper

Those pads aren’t fully bedded in, you can still see the machining marks on the braking surface.

For the rattling, try bending the spring clip out a bit more, if you haven’t already.

I’ve almost always had to do this with Shimano pads. Makes a huge difference to noise and really helps with clearance too.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.