Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • slopestyle commentary – BBC receives complaints
  • Fantombiker

I listened to this and granted Aimee Fuller was a little excited, but Ed Leegh and Tim Warwood made the event for me. They were informative, and funny.

It seems to me the BBC is so worried about being PC that it reacts to any and every criticism thus depriving it of any real personality. Colin Murray said the same thing after he was ousted from Fighting Talk….that programme is now boring.

We want more of this type of exciting commentary, especially from Football…which is so dull….

tomhoward

What were the complaints about? the pundits getting too excited?

They should be shown Pagey and Warner’s commentary of danny harts WC win run….

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26116848

Miffed because they cheered when a non brit fell? Pretty sure I’ve heard footy commentators get all roudy when a foreign team misses a penalty

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

I watched the mens event and Hazel Irvine apologised for the language when the two british lads were speaking afterwards
    Pretty sure he said “huck” and guessing she thought it began with an “F”

alfabus
    Free Member

I heard a few Warner-esque prepared similes, but I can’t remember any examples, unfortunately

agent007
    Free Member

Even my dad loved the slopestyle and the commentary and he’s 70 and never been near a snowboard in his life. Commentary made it in my opinion, added some real excitement and enthusiasm to an already exciting event and fitted the youthful image snowboarding appeals to. Why shouldn’t Tim, Edd and Aimee get excited about Jenny’s run and a competitors misfortune – they are all good friends with Jenny in any case and were just saying what the rest if us were thinking.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I loved it. Going to drop the BBC an email congratulating them for having a young competitor on the mic, suited the event perfectly. It’s not curling 🙂

IanW
    Free Member

Commentary for the ladies was cringe worthy, like listening to
    teenagers on a bus. Never thought I would wish for Claire Balding,

almightydutch
    Free Member

Oh bore off, its the Limpics innit, time to get excited.

Tijuana, I also though Billy Morgan said Huck too but dippy Irvine knows nothing and just wanted to cover her/BBC arse.

Wait for the outcry on this one:

flip
    Free Member

I loved it me, was a bit different but in a good way 😛

peterfile
    Free Member

I thought the complaints were mainly around the fact that they were willing other competitors to fall?

johndoh
    Free Member

@allmightydutch What outcry? From an idiot from Wales that is very rarely funny?

MSP

It did sound to me like they were trying a little too hard to emulate Warner, rather than just being themselves. I bet they have been listening to him quite a bit.

Couldn’t care less about them cheering the fall (which they didn’t do really, they cheered the Brit medal) BBC commentary generally does a great job at pointing out the skill and brilliance off all competitors, nothing wrong with mixing in a bit off support for the home athletes into that.

The only thing that is starting to irritate is the constant claims that there is special camaraderie in “insert whatever sport here” that other events and sports don’t have.

GrahamS

I thought the complaints were mainly around the fact that they were willing other competitors to fall?

As per the other thread, when Murray was in the Wimbledon final, weren’t we all willing Djokovic to fail?

Pretty sure I’ve heard footy commentators get all roudy when a foreign team misses a penalty

Exactly.

I know we’re British – but do we really have to restrain ourselves to clapping politely and the occasional “I say, good show!”

federalski
    Free Member

I do not know how many complaints the BBC received on the slopestyle coverage, but it’s amazing how the BBC make wholesale changes on the basis of a dozen or so complaints.

I watched all the slopestlye as well live and thought it was all fine, I’d rather listen to people who know about the sport and have some passion for it than having Jonathan Edwards or Rishi Persaud fumbling along saying “ohh, nice jump, that was a spinny twister there, lovely”

MSP

I might also add, I really enjoyed that they had some people knowledgeable about the sport, I thought the last winter Olympics were largely balls’d up having Balding, Cram, Edwards etc doing most of the commentary, they really didn’t have a clue what they ere talking about. Hopefully the will just stick to using them for a few links and asking the proper commentators some numpty questions for the rest of the coverage.

rossi46
    Free Member

It seems to me the BBC is so worried about being PC that it reacts to any and every criticism thus depriving it of any real personality.

This!

In fact this applies to everything the Beeb does- and don’t get me started on their so called ‘comedies’, a comedy is supposed to be funny right??

PrinceJohn

It did sound to me like they were trying a little too hard to emulate Warner, rather than just being themselves. I bet they have been listening to him quite a bit.

Pretty sure Ed Leigh has co-commentated with Mr Warner before.

almightydutch
    Free Member

MSP – Member

They have commentated on quite a bit together so I’d expect each of them to show slight idiosyncrasies in their style.

MSP

Maybe so, but when they started going on about chip hats being attacked by a flock of seagulls, it felt forced.

I suspect Warner comes up with most of his sillier comments beforehand as well, but he seems to manage to fit them into the flow.

iain1775
    Free Member

The BBC would do well to remember the first B stands for British not Boring
    Young extreme sport needs young extreme commentary by people who know something about the sport
    And why not get behind the British athletes, that’s exactly what they should be doing

Northwind

If a million people watch something and 10 people complain I reckon it’d be a good use of licence payer’s money to send large men round with pickaxe handles and smash up all the complainant’s tvs.

DezB
    Free Member

Can you imagine being the sort of person that would complain to the bbc about this. What a life. we should feel sympathy.

pk13

Sadly the guy who is commentator on the moguls is duller than dull.

pipnet1
    Free Member

Have to say Aimee was getting on my nerves by the end, but hardly complaint worthy. As others have said, it was nice to have some people who knew what they were on about.

Currently watching the moguls, which is an exciting event being made rather dull by the commentary.

CountZero

Northwind – Member
    If a million people watch something and 10 people complain I reckon it’d be a good use of licence payer’s money to send large men round with pickaxe handles and smash up all the complainant’s tvs.

He he, I must admit the thought has gone through my mind a few times.
    Either that, or forcible transportation to a North Korea…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Could’ve been the slugs in her knickers one 😆

IanW
    Free Member

Currently watching the moguls.

Like sliding down the stairs on your arse..sans tray.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Where would I need to email as I loved the commentary. Yes it got a bit out of hand. But I was laughing along with the excitement of it all
    Give me am email and I’ll
    write in.

GrahamS

I don’t think it was the BBC doing the complaining.

Fantombiker

Agree the point about having people who know the sport, Matt Pinsent (Rower), who as far as I know doesn’t know the first thing about ‘slopestyle’ was interviewing people after the event.

Did you see Claire Balding (horse sports) patronisingly informing viewers about men’s downhill or something…its laughable really.

The BBC sent 92 people to the Sochi (source DM), was this the best they could manage?

rewski
    Free Member

“She’s got a face that could help bread rise”;

Doh!

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

I thought the moguls used to be accompanied by music blaring out from a big mutha sound system all down the course

Bit surprised the BBC dared show Mr **** (common term for masturbate) competing in the ski jumping last night

RustySpanner

Fantombiker – Member
    Colin Murray said the same thing after he was ousted from Fighting Talk….that programme is now boring.

Had no idea about that!
    Not been the same without him.

The slopestyle commentary was ace, I was cheering too, as I suspect were most people.

Bet the same dullards who complained loved Henry Carpenter and Murray Walker, neither of them models of restraint or objectivity when faced with a possible British victory. 🙂

iain1775
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    I don’t think it was the BBC doing the complaining.

I’m well aware of that Graham, my comment referred to the BBC response, which on the basis of a few complaints was to apologise for their presenters ‘maybe getting a bit carried away’ instead of defending them
    They should come out and just say, we are a British company we make no apologies for our presenters showing a British bias

Naranjada
    Free Member

Lord knows we Brits could do with a bit less reserve in certain situations; this was one such occasion, the commentary was superb, really involving and purely emotional. More please!

Edric64
    Free Member

It was amateurish dross just like the childish downhill commentary

GrahamS

Yeah I don’t think they should be doing any formal apologies and I haven’t really heard any other than “Sorry we got a bit carried away” sort of thing. Which is fine.

I was just making the point that “British not Boring” is a fine sentiment but sadly it was (presumably) some Boring Brits that were doing the complaining.

I think the best thing it to make sure the been hear plenty of positive comment about it too.

(As far as Ed Leigh is concerned I’m still gutted the Beeb cancelled High Altitude after one season because it was “too laddish”. A good example of them just not getting it)

OmarLittle
    Free Member

The BBC evening highlights show is utter poo

10 seconds (if that) of sports like ice hockey and long track speed skating instead they fill the programme with personality driven nonsense and then some dross about a trolley and social media shite.

stumpy01

The commentary on the bit of slope style that I saw yesterday went along the lines of them all shouting ‘woooooaaaaahhhh’, ‘aaaarrrrgggghhhhh’, ‘nooooooo waaaaaayyy’ at the same time. It wasn’t exactly informative or interesting. There’s enthusiastic and there’s crap. The bit I heard was crap. Maybe I just saw a rubbish bit.

Karl33to
    Free Member

I heard Ed or Graham, can’t remember which one it was say that High Altitude was never brought back because the insurance men wouldn’t let it happen. You can kind of see why when you watch the episode where Ed nearly rode off a cliff in a blizzard for example.
    It’s a shame as it was one of my favourite programmes.

And as far as the slopestyle coverage goes, I really enjoyed it, was good to hear someone who’s passionate and knowledgeable about their sport for a change. Some of the other commentary has been dull as dishwater in comparison.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘slopestyle commentary – BBC receives complaints’ is closed to new replies.