Home Forums Chat Forum Sleeping mat, comfort

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Sleeping mat, comfort
  • Mounty_73

My current sleeping mat is only 5cm thick. I am looking for something a bit thicker and more comfortable (I’m getting older). Its main use will be during a week long backpacking trip during the summer.

I dont really want a mummy shaped mat. I dont want any Alpkit mats as they have not been very good in the past.

I understand something thicker and not mummy shaped will be heavier. I have spent some considerable time looking, but any suggestions?

stanley

I have a Thermarest NeoAir Topo Luxe (amongst others). It is 10cm thick, has a lovely textured surface and is very comfortable, quiet and stable. It’s by far the most comfortable camping mattress I’ve ever used but it is, of course, heavier and bulkier than a super-lightweight mattress. But what price for a good night’s sleep?!

I’d highly recommend getting a FlexTail Tiny pump too. It will inflate these bigger mattresses in moments, several times over on one charge.

scotroutes

Any of the 7cm mats from Exped. I do think they’re best not “fully” inflated, though laying one down on cold ground does tend to soften it a bit after a while.

stanley

I would certainly agree with not fully inflating these mattresses. My technique is to put slightly more air in than I think I need, then I do the “sit test”. This involves sitting on the mattress with all of my weight through my backside. I then let some air out until my sit bones fully compress the mattress when I bounce slightly. ie, I feel my bum just about make contact with the ground. Transfer to laying down and the pressure is perfect.
    Too much pressure and you don’t get the full comfort; too little and you roll off the sides (or get aching parts).

matt_outandabout

Worth trying to ‘under’ inflate your current mat?

I have a couple of Robens mats which are great – one a narrow mummy (HighCore?) and one a wider (Iceshield?)
    Warm, not crinkly, comfy if you don’t fully inflate as others suggest.
    Both 65mm thick.

kaiser
    Free Member

Blatant sales pitch …but I’ve got an exped synmat 12 LXW . It’s the lighter version of their megamat , no longer available extra long and wide 12cm thick + great insulation .
    Cost over £200 and used half a dozen times . Perfect condition, properly stored and only ever inflated with their schnozzel ? Bag to avoid breath bacteria internal contamination .
    £80 posted .. mail in profile if interested.
    Cheers
    Bill

biglee1

I bought an Antur sleeping mat, packs down to next to nothing, no insulation, and I pop my thermarest on top of it. Partial inflation so whichever boney bit is just and so off the ground and its great. Far cheaper than buying a thick mat and was dead comfy on 2 x 2 week camping trips last year on my motorsickle. I’m 52 don’t you know :D

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.