Home Forums Bike Forum SKS Beaver Tail XL Width and Alternative For Gravel Bike

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • SKS Beaver Tail XL Width and Alternative For Gravel Bike
  • witterings
    Free Member

Does anyone happen to have a set of SKS Beavertail XL Mudguards and wouldn’t mind running a measure over the width where they attach on the rear which will be my narrowest point.

Or if anyone has suggestions for alternatives I think I’ve got about 43mm clearance but don’t mind dremeling out a couple of mm if needs be.

mattyfez

I’ve got a set of beavertail xl, but I’m not home at the moment.

Good guards imo .. I run (or used to on my old frame) mine on a hard tail mtb though so they might be too wide to fit.. They are quite flexible though and you could always trim or dremmel a little semi circle off each side so it clears the tubes of its too narrow.

I’ll try and remember to measure it for you but if it helps, here’s a pic of it on a carrera with 26 inch wheels

witterings
    Free Member

mattyfez hi,

Did you get a second to measure them ??

Also I picked up that you like them, do they ever bounce onto the wheel or are they fairly stiff … a was just wondering what they were like without any stays??

boxelder

If it’s an ‘every now and again’ guard, have you seen the Ass Savers Fendor Bender?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Quickly measured the XL seat stay bridge area this morning on the Wazoo, ~6cm width.

witterings
    Free Member

Quickly measured the XL seat stay bridge area this morning on the Wazoo, ~6cm width.

Brilliant and cheers for that … that’s quite a bit I’d need to remove / dremel out to get it between the seat stays and wonder if it may weaken it too much.

I might be best off putting it in the car and taking it somewhere I can at least dry test a few to see what works.

mattyfez

Sorry totally forgot!

do they ever bounce onto the wheel

Not that I’ve noticed but they do flex at the back end. The beaver tail bit if you like. Seatstay to wheelstay they don’t move.

dremel out to get it between the seat stays and wonder if it may weaken it too much.

That part also has the metal bracket in a kind of sleeve it slides into, so it’s probably the strongest part of the guard..

mattyfez

Belated photo…6cm is about right. Depends how tight the frame is but you could cut a bit off the edges.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘SKS Beaver Tail XL Width and Alternative For Gravel Bike’ is closed to new replies.