Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Simple spray paint booth?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

At work, we are regularly spray painting furniture (just using rattle cans at the moment). I’d like to get some sort of spray booth, ideally with a ventilation system, as we are currently just spraying in a warehouse and its not possible for everyone to wear masks all the time (plus the paint gets everywhere).

I envisage something about 8 foot cube, where we can move the furniture in, spray it, and then take it out to dry. We don’t need anything fancy/expensive, I’ve seen booths made from PVC pipe and plastic sheet which look pretty decent. It would be great if the booth can be moved/dragged about too, so it’s out of the way when not painting – not sure how that would work with the vent unit mind…

Any thoughts/suggestions/inspiration?

Thanks,
    Duane.

molgrips
    Free Member

Big cheap tent and a big extractor fan?

jonba
    Free Member

I’m a bit more heavy duty but for the last few I’ve seen but we’ve used Dalby.

In our factory QC labs and some areas we have small dry filter set ups a bit like this on a bench

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Grizzly-G0532-2-HP-Dry-Spray-Booth/177824393

An extraction hood that pulls air through a filter. Either paper or polyester mesh/wadding. Solid particles filter out but it’ll do nothing for your solvent.

At the risk of over loading you with info. I assume you have a Risk/COSHH assessment. You’d struggle to find a rattle can that doesn’t contain a chemical with a WEL (Work Exposure Limit) or other similar limit (TWA STEL etc.). If you are being asked to do this for work it should be documented. Equally if you start to have extraction I’m not sure at what point you’d need to consider your VOC output and get the environment agency involved for a permit.

I work on an industrial scale with industrial use products so the rules around VOC and permits may be different. COSHH is a legal requirement regardless.

If you haven’t already you might want to consider the use of masks. Solvent filtering, not just the paper ones. These are good, fit a variety of faces and are not too heavy or expensive 

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p48094?r=googleshopping&rr=marin&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkLS2mrHn2QIVxrftCh3uGg4DEAQYAyABEgKZivD_BwE

jonba
    Free Member

We did at one point use these type of thing

https://www.shopaessolutions.co.uk/dust-fume/shop-by-product/mobile-portable-extractors/weld-fume/nederman-filtercart-original-396.html

Wasn’t spraying where you create an atomised cloud though. It was for handling solvents and dusting solids away from normal extracted areas. You might be able to rig it up to get the right airflow around whatever you are spraying.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Simple spray paint booth?’ is closed to new replies.