• This topic has 259 replies, 71 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by irc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 260 total)
  • Show me your pond!
  • bearnecessities

Because I’m an idiot, I’m redoing a large part of the garden and making a wildlife pond as part of that (about 2.5m x 1.5m).

Think I’ve googled the pertinent points (sun, good liner, escape routes for drunk hedgehogs etc) but any design ideas or snippets of advice would be greatly appreciated!

perchypanther
    Free Member

SaxonRider

Just finishing the installation of ours now. Will show off when complete. In the meantime, we built a raised bed for it, so some of the issues that apply to ground-level ponds won’t apply.

mudder
    Free Member

I built a small wide life pond during the 2nd week of lock-down (2M x 1M x 0.6M deepest)

Just now getting Dragon Flies visiting and various little things swimming about probably larva of pond flies etc. Still waiting for Pond Skaters,Frogs or Newts to arrive.

I used Amazon to deliver the underlay, pond liner, Oxygenating plants, Lily and Aquatic compost.
    For the plants I used plastic flower pots, drilled holes and use a hemp liner with gravel on-top
    which seems to have worked.

According to my Daughter its kept me happy and quiet 🙂

Just wish , I have space to build a mk2 bigger version.

willjones
    Free Member

Following with interest. I’ve always wanted a water lily or two, and some wildlife. Also some running water noise to drown out the occasional speeding hooligan. We’ve a garden split onto two levels with a terracy bit and a gardeny bit. Thinking of a raised, square pond on each level linked with small waterfall. Kids can send their lego off the top to the bottom too. Given the landscaping involved, probably going to save this job until the borders/raised bed die back, but all tips and inspiration in the meantime most welcome!

gauss1777
    Free Member

My wife built ours a few years back and it’s very nice. Of a similar size to above, about 3m by 2m. The wildlife loves it, but alas no frogs here : (

It would be nice to have it a little bigger. My wife who knows more about all this, was saying recently that she’d like a small fountain in it, to help with oxygenation.

The only issue she’s had is that the birds and perhaps cats that use it to drink from have put holes in the liner, which means it doesn’t fill as high as it did. Something like stones perhaps might have prevented this – others may have ideas on this.

mudder
    Free Member

I used cobbles to protect the liner above and slightly below the waterline. We have two Cats and they use it as their go to drink station. I did stick some of the cobbles down using some waterproof guttering adhesive to make it more secure and it seems to have work so far…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lol @ Perchy! I was asking my boss where he goes cycling with his son locally last week, he said the name of some wee nature reserve, I googled it and yes, it was the Perchy! 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Or, to give me my proper name, Greenhead Moss Community Nature Reserve.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’s the one. He lives in Newmains, or Newhouse, I always get mixed up.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Newmains.

No one lives in Newhouse. Not even Peggy White.

pictonroad

You’re far from an idiot, ponds are great, well wildlife ones are anyway.

picked up a modest pond that someone was going to skip. After a few years it’s rammed with frogs and newts. Got a log pile as well so they have somewhere to hide when the tadpoles develop.

jamesoz

Can’t do pics, when I bought my house 13 years ago It came with a wooden raised pond and some fish.
    About 4 years ago the wood started to rot so I replaced it with a brick build, 5 courses high and 1 metre dug down, 4 metres long and two metres wide.

I never wanted to keep fish but most of them are still alive now and eat for England. Sometimes we get offspring too.

Bunnyhop

We put in a very small pond 12 years ago. Then during summer I saw a dragon fly, so that spurred us to take out the little pond and enlarge it.

The impact for wildlife has been amazing. We have the usual frogs but with 4 times as much spawn. Water boatmen (with tiny offspring). Pond skaters, little beetle things, some tiny larvae.
    The plants I bought are all from a proper place where they know their stuff and they’re native.

It’s attracted more birds and insects into the garden.

Luckily because we knew we were going to rebuild, we made sure to collect 3 water butts full of rain water ready to fill it.

Sometimes during the lock down I’ve made little film clips for neighbour’s and our families children, it’s mesmerising to watch things grow and develop. Bring on the first dragonflies.

willjones
    Free Member

Materials ordered! Thanks all for the kick up the bum. Build to follow…

qwerty
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ceC7XA]IMAG0211[/url] by martinddd, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ceC9Yf]IMAG0274[/url] by martinddd, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dyphpz]IMAG0433[/url] by martinddd, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/cJfGjf]IMAG0566[/url] by martinddd, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/cJfFCj]IMAG0570[/url] by martinddd, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/UwEGd5]2017-05-13_11-53-30[/url] by martinddd, on Flickr

Captain_Sponge

Can’t help with Pond design, other to encourage more ponds, they are great fun!!! BUt on a serious note, I can heartily recommend the following podcasts, very informative and aside from incidental music choices all very good indeed!

If that link doesn’t work then search for Jules Howard and Pond podcast.

All sort of options for how to listen etc there, but it’s amazing what turns up in a bit of water.

Jamze

Built ours last year. It’s great. Fish (which are breeding fast, don’t overstock), frogs, dragonflies, newts. Note you will get predators. We get heron and a kingfisher. Otters at our neighbours. My attitude so far is let them be. Not had the pond cleared out yet.

Gardener helped with mine. He recommended concrete, underlay then a liner which we did. Seems good so far.

Have you got electrics close? Got biofilters with UV in mine. Like all hobbies, it can get expensive but up to you how far you go with it 🙂

bearnecessities

I’ve had sparky around today and he’s given me a list of jobs to get power to the shed and pond so I can have a waterfall thingy, but I didn’t fancy fish as my understanding was they’re a bit needy and eat the eggs of the more ‘wildlife’ animal’s babies; tadpoles and the like.

That said, pond plan has now grown to 3m x 2m.

Yours looks good though!

stwhannah

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGPmynAMpJx/?igshid=1muxnrrw1slg7

I built a small pond – barely more than 1mx1m.  It’s deep enough in the middle to not freeze in winter though. I should have made the underwater steps/terraces for putting plant on much wider – by the time I’d put the liner down the bits I’d dug weren’t really big enough. If you can get a bucket of sludge or plants from and established pond it will really help your new pond establish. And when it goes green and slimy (it will!) use a small bale of barley straw. I’d recommend avoiding having fish unless you’re going to go big on filtration and electrical gubbins. The balance of the water in a small pond is much easier to get right for wildlife without fish.

Jamze

but I didn’t fancy fish as my understanding was they’re a bit needy and eat the eggs of the more ‘wildlife’ animals.

Yeah much simpler without them, more natural. As soon as people get wind of you digging a pond you tend to find everyone offering you fish, cos most ponds are overstocked.

Lots of waste to deal with, so I’ve got two biggish filters. You end up playing scientist checking the water…

Nick

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iPSJgd]Untitled[/url] by nickgilling, on Flickr

ElShalimo

Almost the teenage ninja turtles but not quite…

spooky_b329

Those of you with waterfalls, or filters for ponds with lots of fish…have you worked out how much it costs to run? I have some relatives with a large fish pond and its got a big pump and filter set up running 24/7 which must be a significant cost.

For your average small waterfall running daytime only, is it feasible to run from solar power alone?

martinhutch

Our little one is crammed with tadpoles but starting to dry up? Since apparently you can’t use tap water for a top-up, how do you go about filling it up?

bsims
    Free Member

In the absence of pond/ aquarium conditioner from a shop, fill buckets etc with tap water and let stand for 24h then add a small amount of water from the pond leave for another 12 h and introduce.

bearnecessities

Monty Don’s now telling me not to stick a water feature in; the pump for a pissing cherub will liquidise tadpoles and turn frogs inside out apparently, so now researching ways of protecting pump and not creating a watery graveyard (combinations of buckets, shingle & stockings seem to be the way to go).

“Just dig a hole in the ground” I thought at the start of this bloody idea.

ElShalimo

combinations of buckets, shingle & stockings seem to be the way to go

That’s just a normal Saturday night out in Leeds

😜

ossify

a pissing cherub will liquidise tadpoles and turn frogs inside out

Thanks for that vision…

Jamze

Those of you with waterfalls, or filters for ponds with lots of fish…have you worked out how much it costs to run? I have some relatives with a large fish pond and its got a big pump and filter set up running 24/7 which must be a significant cost.

Yes. Not insignificant. Two 58W pumps/13W UV lamps in mine, so it’s a couple of old-school light bulbs left on all the time. Couple of hundred quid a year?

Also, one thing I thought of after I dug mine (and from experience during a wet winter) was an overflow to a soakaway somewhere? Otherwise, you regularly have to bail it out to stop it overflowing. Depends on the pond design, but mine has no wall around it.

winston
    Free Member

We inherited a pond with the house. Split level job with a waterfall.

I’ve done very little to it but clean out a bit of dead plant life once a year and replace the pumps and UV filter. I had no idea about the frog liquidiser thing but we have the waterfall on only when sitting out in the garden. Very soothing.

We have fish, frogs, newts and loads of water snails. Heron occasionally visits but so much plant life that the fish just go to ground and you think they must have been eaten then 2 or 3 days later they pop back to the surface again!

Ours is chest deep in the middle which helps keep the water at a constant temp. We top ours up from the tap after a lot of evaporation and it has made no difference to the pond life.

dazh

On behalf of Mrs Daz (I had nothing to do with this)….

It started as a veg patch that didn’t grow anything due to being in the shade…

Took a few days to dig…

And a few hours to fill..

And then some gardening…

And done..

And all this because she has an amphibian obsession..

Nick

^ nice job, starting to feel a bit inadequate about my washing up bowl accidental pond.

Bunnyhop

Nick – any pond no matter how small (our first one was a double butler sink) is good. It attracted water snails, frogs and I even grew a mini water lily in it.

About the question for topping up the water. If possible get somewhere to store the rainwater from your roof. We have 3 water butts and I use them to water veg, plants and topping up the pond. Anything from an old bucket or tank will do.

Nick

The funny thing is that we put the washing bowl there to catch rain water running off the greenhouse roof, a bit of wood fell in and the frogs moved in soon after. It’s like a little place for them to hang out, stay moist, loads of frog spawn in next door’s pond and we figure they roam around between gardens, hopefully eating all the slugs.

martinhutch

Cheers BSims (belatedly).

dazh

Small is easier to manage. We have to put a net over ours to stop the ducks and the local heron eating all the newts.

willjones
    Free Member

Some lovely ponds here – really inspiring. So materials have started arriving with faux sleepers landing within 24hrs.

We are turning this raised bed into a pond, it’s been on the list for a while, but this thread, and wanting to achieve something in lockdown was the nudge I needed:

Raised bed

The wind finished the tulips off and first job was the mammoth task of moving c100 barrows of soil and the bed to the bottom corner of the garden (nothing like the amazing pond/earthworks above though!). The bed is now in a shaded woody bit so thinking that it might become a fernery and tulips relocated to the borders.

Next up 6 inches of stone to level sleepers. There used to be a patio here, and before that a stone shed, so the base is solid even if the labour is unruly and unrealiable.

foundations

We’re planning on building a second pond for this one to have a waterfall into, so need to knock a hole in the wall. We’re hoping for an ‘infinity pond’ type thing to draw the eye down into the garden and a waterfall to make a bit of noise to drown out speeding chavs. “Easy” I thought. Nope – there’s more concrete than stone. and removing 4 courses took all afternoon. There’s still one stubborn lump of concrete which is going to take more than a lump hammer.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0tGrq0zwGNJFpK;7D99935D-EBEB-47C5-9E1C-6ACB5A16FEF1

Mocked up, and started fixing the corners yesterday:

mock up or cock up?

Corner

In due course will fill bolt holes with 30mm section and sand flush. Also thinking this might be quite a nice way of fixing the sleepers vertically, but it could also be a bit of an ordeal drilling massive holes and want to be able to remove the top tier should we ever have to replace liner.

Just in from lunch, mocking up the ‘spillway’ I need to find a 1200mm length of 50mm timber to raise the top sleeper enough to allow up to 50mm for liner, the stone for the spillway (thinking slate as it will have a nice sharp edge to create a smooth flow into the lower pond) and adhesive and mortar.

mock up spillway

Looking at pumps and based on 100 gallons per hour for a 50″ wide waterfall, we’re going to need a 5000GPH pump. hmmm. Wondering if the ‘infinity’ pond may work better with a smaller pump and trickle down the wall type effect.

liner on order, we’re taking the depth down to 600mm at one end incase we go opt for fish in the future. Looking for some old carpet to line the sides and base before the liner goes down, and obvs will remove all rubble and pointy things.

What have I missed?!! I am dreading making mistakes early on and having to undo the whole lot.

willjones
    Free Member

ah photos aren’t working. Here’s a link to the iCloud album – seems to be in chronological order. Pond build

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 260 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.