Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Show me your lightweight coffee setup
  • Premier Icon qwerty
    Free Member

I’ll start with my not necessarily lightweight 1kg.

it’s only allowed to be lacking water.

2021-06-05_02-32-12

Bialetti 1 cup: 254g
    MSR cook pot: 213g
    Gas: 174g
    MSP Pocket Rocket: 124g
    MSP twinwall mug: 93g
    Plastic container with enough coffee & sugar for 3 shots: 92g
    Anti rattle rag: 35g
    Ti spoon: 15g
    Lighter: 10g

How low can you go?

Premier Icon Aidy
    Free Member

I really don’t get the excessive coffee maker if you’re not going to bring a grinder.

Premier Icon dove1

Aeropress Go and a little jetboil-style stove.
    No idea of weight and don’t really care. 🙂

Premier Icon Spin
    Free Member

I just take coffee bags if I’m going light. Flame away…

Premier Icon JoB
    Free Member

i take a minimal lightweight collapsible keepy cup and stop in one of the converted horsebox coffee bars that’s popped up every half a mile in the countryside at the moment

Premier Icon alexandersmith

There is a little bit of room for weight reduction but it’s marginal gains territory.
    Lightweight field coffee system
    Note billy can contains a tin mug and an MSR Pocket Rocket.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg

stop in one of the converted horsebox coffee bars that’s popped up every half a mile

Ours still contain horses. Horses make terrible coffee.

Premier Icon scotroutes

What are we doing here – enough for 3 cups?

Premier Icon JoB
    Free Member

stop in one of the converted horsebox coffee bars that’s popped up every half a mile

Ours still contain horses. Horses make terrible coffee.

i hear that civets are better

Premier Icon 136stu

OP, do you need both the cook pot and the Espresso pot? Also, sugar? Unless you are Cuban or Vietnamese this is surely a faux pas.

Premier Icon qwerty
    Free Member

do you need both the cook pot and the Espresso pot? Also, sugar?

Yes to two pots, it’s for an Americano darlings, and sugar is premixed with the Lavazza cos I’m a heathen.

Premier Icon sirromj

No one got a bripe then!?

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Basically the same meths setup as scotroutes, but sachets of nescafe 3 in 1, no way anyone is lighter than that.

Aye, it’s shite, but when I’ve just woke up on a summit, or I’m cold and wet, my coffee standards drop massively, and I canny be going with the faff. 😁

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer

sachets of nescafe 3 in 1

I’d maybe just drink the meths

Premier Icon tjagain

jetboil. the cafetiere attachment is 8g

Premier Icon scotroutes

And what does a Jetboil weigh?

Premier Icon tjagain

500ish g IIRC but thats with a weekends fuel and is also cooking stuff. and makes good coffee reliably and quickly 🙂

Premier Icon Stainypants

Straight out of my bag from last nights hiking bivi.

Alpkit myti mug
    eBay titanium burner
    Gas
    Ti spoon
    Firestone
    Plastic cup
    Ultralight weight windshield

Aeropress or more recently Coffee rocket which is great slow especially if the grind is the wrong size.

Free Member

I’d maybe just drink the meths

Jakey.

Tbh, it’s not even the weight of proper coffee stuff, it’s the bulk, aeropress? Massive. F that

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

Bare bones meth stove , ti mug

Ortlieb filter holder and paper filter.

I’d rather just mix my hot water with peat than suffer Nescafé…. Infact I would and do drink tea if nescafes the only coffee option…..and I hate tea.

Premier Icon benp1

Meths set up with a snow peak 450 mug

The coffee add on (used for last weekends WRT) is a GSI ultralight java drip and some ground coffee haven’t got a weight or a pic, but can’t imagine you’ll find lighter…

Actually, sorry, I use a sea to summit x seal and go mug. Heavier than some cups but packs down flat so easier for Bikepacking

Free Member

Lol! Coffee snobs are the best people! 🤣🤣

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

Wouldn’t be so bad if there was an instant that came close to not tasting burnt.

Might as well just pop a couple of proplus for all the resemblance nescafe has to coffee.

Grew up thinking I didn’t like coffee….just turned out I didn’t like instant.

Free Member

Exactly. YOU didn’t.

Premier Icon bob_summers

Not going for lightweight as I will usually bring a grinder. But I boil the water on a wood gas stove so you’re not taking fuel until you start thinking about brewing up.

Premier Icon Spin
    Free Member

, but sachets of nescafe 3 in 1, no way anyone is lighter than that.

The Taylor’s coffee bags are a decent compromise for me. I double bag for strength and it’s definitely way better than instant with none of the weight/faff of a dedicated maker.

Premier Icon bobbyspangles
    Free Member

The further I get from the crowds the lower my coffee standards go. I can’t be bothered with faffing about so take instant and coffeemate. As long as it’s hot and wet, I’m happy

Premier Icon stevious

I use a GSI collapsible filter cone with paper filters that I pre-load with coffee at home. I like the process of making it and I like being able to easily pack out the paper & grounds with almost no mess. I don’t really enjoy drinking instant.

I’ve tried quite a few other options in the past, including aeropress, stovetop & even cowboy style but this seems to be the best balance of pack size & coffee quality for me.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

AlpKit ti mug.

Speedster stove and foil windshield.

GSI drip coffee maker and cup set.

Coffee.

Edit: I’ve just weighed it without coffee but with a tea light candle in there and 100ml of meths – 476g. Bare basics is 380g.

Premier Icon luket

I’ve got cone filter (V60) and aeropress. Cone presumably weighs a chunk less but aeropress can make a stronger coffee if that’s what you like. Aeropress is a bit more faffy but not excessively so and the v60 does take a while to make a mug full anyway, but I use the v60 nowadays for less faff and because I like black filter coffee. Not tried the bags but presumably they can replicate the idea of a filter pretty well for these purposes?

Premier Icon jameso

350ml mug with plastic cup, windshield, 8g Bearbones meths stove, lighter and ground coffee inside. Meths bottle for 2 brews fits in there or a larger bottle for more than one night out. Mug stored in a DIY mug cosy to keep water warm while making coffee. 200g or so. Plastic cap from a gravy granules tub fits on top of the mug perfectly.

I just near-boil water then stir the grounds in, stir it again a minute later, repeat, then pour off the coffee into the cup when the grounds have sunk. Makes a good coffee.

Starbucks Via or Nescafe Azera is ok for instant. Prefer cowboy coffee though.

Premier Icon Olly
    Free Member

prefilled Trangia burner, Three tent pegs to support the pot. Pot. Coffee bags

Premier Icon ndthornton
    Free Member

Jetboil add on (since Im taking that anyway to warm up food)
    Takes up no extra space and weighs bugger all
    Haven’t come across anything more convenient

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

Exactly. YOU didn’t.

Indeed but it doesn’t make nescafe taste any more like a coffee.

Having looked up why it tastes burnt it appears that nescafe do roast to a much higher temperature than most bean/ground companies so it’s not just my taste buds that imagine it – probably part of why Costa and Starbucks are so popular in the UK as they have a similar affliction in the UK.

But by over roasting it does mean that all the coffees taste the same as the fruityness is burnt right out of it. #maxproductiongains

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.