Home Forums Bike Forum Shin protection.

• This topic has 21 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by taf.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Shin protection.
  • cupotea

Evening all,

I seem to have a real knack for throwing rocks with my front tyre into my left shin. Twice resulting in half a black egg protruding from it. They also hit my right shoe but as that’s generally my leading foot it’s intercepting my rocky adversaries before they can inflict maximum damage to bony bits.

Can anyone recommend leg protection that goes a decent way down? The worst hits I’ve had have been low down, probably 6″ above my ankle. Ideally I could do with something light-ish for general trail use. Maybe a second set for uplift days.

cupotea

Bump to see?

brads
    Free Member

Endura socks

deltacharlie72
    Free Member

I use the G-Form pro-x shinpads. They’re pretty light and unobtrusive, but are enough to protect from stone (or pedal) strikes.

G-Form Pro-X

tuboflard

Probably a bit much for general trail use but I’ve got a set of POC VPD DH knee and shin pads which are fantastic. Used them on uplift days, weeks in the alps and a week with Basque MTB, so uplift with lots of pedalling too. Solid protection and can take a hammering.

nixie

BMX shin guards. I hate riding without something from ankle up. Way too many rock hits and pedal gashes in the past.

cupotea

@deltacharlie72 they look like a good light option. Do they interfere with knee pads at all? Any tips on sizing for them?

fooman

I’ve been looking for something similar for pedal scrapes, most shin guards seem much more heavy duty then I need or a faff which means I won’t use them. I like the look of those Endura socks but even on those the padding is more than I’m looking for – I was thinking something like a sock with leather in the shin area. Hmm I think I’ll buy some long socks and get the mrs to sew some leather on.

sirromj

What about trials shin guards designed to protect from pedal shin digs… Have a look at Jitsie.

dyna-ti

Everyone should really make sure they have shin pads on. The problem is the bone is very close to the skin and an injury can lead to infection in the shin bone, which can lead to complications and the loss of the leg itself.

deltacharlie72
    Free Member

@cupotea size chart can be found HERE

Sizing seems pretty accurate. With a 17″ calf the XL fit me fine. My knee pads are also a pull on sleeve style (Leatt Airflex Pro) and there is some overlap between the top of the shin guards and bottom of the knee pads. But both seem to stay in place no problem.

bikesandboots

I tried the Endura socks and promptly returned them, they’re very long so wouldn’t expect them to work with knee pads, they’d also be hot. The padding is really thin 4-5mm, any less and it’d probably be useless. ION do the same kind of product too.

Start Fitness have some Scott Grenade Evo shin guards, previous version, in for £12. Fills the gap below my (non-Scott) knee pads nicely.

BillOddie

ION make some socks very similar to the Endura ones which may or may not be helpful.

Race Face make the Flank Leg pad which are like knee pads with an extra that comes down the shin.  Look warm though.

brads
    Free Member

I’ve been using the endura socks for over a year now as I bought them when I went over to flats
    They work fine with knee pads and yes on hot days they can be warm but then so are my knee pads

I love em

nixie

At £12 going to give those scott ones a try, since my other order for the ion add ons for my knee guards appears to have disappeared!

nixie

The scott ones arrived today. They are tiny! Haven’t yet tried on with my knee pads but there is almost no change they will offer full coverage.

bikesandboots

To avoid my recommendation causing further disappointment for the longer-legged, the Scott pads are one size and 20cm long including the velcro bit at the top that can be stuffed under knee pads.

nixie

Yeah no good for longer legs. When high enough to not leave a gap on my ion kpact knee pads they left a hug gap at the bottom. Think they would work with those knee/short shin to add protection to the lower shin. Will also work as shin protection for my 9 year old 😀.

franksinatra

Everyone should really make sure they have shin pads on. The problem is the bone is very close to the skin and an injury can lead to infection in the shin bone, which can lead to complications and the loss of the leg itself.

Wow. I’ve been riding for 30 years and never heard of anyone losing their leg like that. I’ve never worn pads of any sort and not died to death yet and still have all of my limbs. I accept I am not that gnarr but seriously, your post is slightly alarmist.

chriscubed

If I’m going to a bike park I wear football shin pads – cheaper than MTB ones and i have some that have ankle padding too

For lighter trail riding I have some pieces of Eva foam that I stuff down the front of my socks not sure where they came from originally, but cutting a bit from a yoga mat, or a strip of neoprene would also work, to take the bite out of small stones flung from the trail or a pedal strike. But obviously not providing much protection from a bigger hit.

taf
    Free Member
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Shin protection.’ is closed to new replies.