Home Forums Bike Forum Shimano 12 speed to single speed

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Shimano 12 speed to single speed
  • subduedsupernova
    Free Member

I have a bike with Shimano 12 speed SLX drive chain which I would like to run as single speed on occasions but easily switch between geared and single speed.

I have a spare rear wheel with normal Shimano hub

Does anyone know if I can run the bike single speed but continue using the 12 speed chainring and if so should I use 12 speed chain or single speed chain?

nickjb
    Free Member

It’ll depend on the rear gear. If its a proper single speed gear then you’ll have to use single speed chain. That should run fine on a 12 speed chainring. That said it’ll be easy to switch the chainrings. I’d fit a dedicated chainring so you don’t get mismatched wear.

subduedsupernova
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply

The chainring on the bike is a Shimano direct mount which I can’t find a single speed one available anywhere

bigblackshed

The 12 speed front ring will run single speed, no issues.

If you have a spare wheel with a Shimano HG freehub then there’s loads of wide based single speed sprockets available, Surly, Gusset, Andel. You’ll be fine with a 9 speed chain on those.

There are some Microspline single speed sprockets available now, can’t remember you makes them. That way you can use your existing wheel.

singlespeedstu

There are some Microspline single speed sprockets available now

Boone do Microspline cogs. Bit spendy but very nice and pretty hard wearing too.

Boone Titanium Single Speed Double Step Cog

kayla1
    Free Member

We do stainless Micro Spline cogs, made in the UK by us-

https://www.bikepunx.com/singlespeed-sprocketscogs-196-c.asp

goby

Can recommend kayla1 and the singlespeed cog and chainrings! 😁👍

spooky_b329

You need a 3/32 rear cog, wide base ideally. Not 1/8th. You’ll probably want to use a new chain for singlespeed and keep the existing with the cassette. Your issue long term will be uneven wear on the chainring which may cause problems with slipping when converted back to gears.

subduedsupernova
    Free Member

Is that setup with a 12 speed or singlespeed chain?

akira

Just ordered some stuff from kayla1 as doing some single speed jiggery pokery.

spooky_b329

What matters is the size of chain, a geared setup uses 3/32 sprockets and chain.

As you are using a 3/32 front chainring, you are best to use any 3/32 chain, that could be one designed for singlespeed/hub gears or a super bling 12 speed.

BMX’s and some singlespeeds use a 1/8th chain and these are wider. Might actually work on your chainring but it’s not designed to, no real benefit so stick with any 3/32 chain.

tom7044

Does anyone know if this works the other way and 12 speed shimano chains are ok on 3/32 cogs?

Have been looking for a cheap chain for my singlespeed and found this potential bargain:
    https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-xt-m8100-12-speed-chain-with-quick-link-171576.html

I guess is so cheap because is only 108 links but this is fine for single speed and at £14 is about as cheap as you can find for a chain and being xt would hope is decent quality.
    However I use a raceface crank and steel chainring and am a bit worried if will work with the xt chain as have seen raceface sell specific shimano 12 speed chainrings as an option.
    1x Chainring, Cinch Direct Mount – SHI 12
    Is this just marketing or are standard raceface rings too wide for a shimano 12 speed chain?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@tom7044 the internal width was too tight when I tried a sram 12sp chain on a chainring. Not by much but enough that it wasn’t happy. Sram 971 chain has been my go to.

tom7044

@shedbrewed thank you, will play it safe and not get the xt chain and stick with current chainrings.
    Is dead easy to get sucked in by a bargain so glad I checked.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.