Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Shimano 105 shifter + XT rear mech help please…
  • flap_jack
    Free Member

Apparently successfully fitted by many but I can’t make it work.

10 speed 2014 105 shifter.
    9 speed XT (771) long cage mech
    10 speed XT chain (should there be a washer between the high 3 and middle 3 cluster ? Didn’t get one)
    10 speed XT cassette

It either shifts lovely at the low end and rubbish at the top, or vice-versa. Almost as if the pull ratios are very slightly different. Also, it seemed like the 10 speed chain was very slightly sticking on the jockey wheels. Is that normal ?

All help greatly appreciated, I’ve wasted all afternoon on this, and as it’s trying to make the wife’s road bike Alp friendly for next week I’m in big trouble. Also her white bar tape is now chain-lube coloured…

thanks

convert

Got this apart from a 10spd 105 cassette instead of the xt. That just works. I’m unaware of a difference in physical spacing difference between a road and a mtb 10spd cassette but there might be one I guess.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Not convinced that combo will work!

9 speed road and mtb is compatible. You are mixing older 9 speed with newer 10 speed.

There might be one of those bodges with a thicker washer under the mech clamp bolt to alter the leverage ratio, but not sure with that combo.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Thanks – didn’t shift properly when I put the old cassette back, nor with the original SRAM chain.

Putting the old 105 cassette back sorted it, but we’re back to the 12-28 cassette…

convert

9 speed road and mtb is compatible. You are mixing older 9 speed with newer 10 speed.

10spd road and 9spd mtb pull ratios are definitely the same. They only changed the pull ratio for 10spd mtb for reasons I can’t fathom.

m360
    Free Member

They only changed the pull ratio for 10spd mtb for reasons I can’t fathom.

To sell you more stuff.

Nipper99
    Free Member

should work – i have the same set up on my Gryphon save for a med cage rear mech but i am 1×10 my 105 shifter is a few years old though.

neilwheel
    Free Member

They only changed the pull ratio for 10spd mtb for reasons I can’t fathom.

So you can’t retro fit a clutch mech to 9 speed.

Pickers

I also have an identical set up, and had the exact same issue. Mech hanger very slightly bent on mine, I’d put money on that being your issue.

scaredypants

I think you should be fine – I’ve used 10sp stis and 9sp mtb mechs loads of times

… so therefore something else is set up wrong. Have you definitely clamped the cable in the mech correctly ?

Speshpaul

Tiagra sti 10sp, xt 32t cassette, xt 9 sp mech. All good here.
    are your cables in good shape?

mikemorini
    Free Member

Got old Dura ace 10spd shifter, and Xt 9spd rear mech on my Gryphon. It took a good deal of fiddling to get it shifting cleanly. 1/8th of a turn on the cable barrel adjuster seems to make a huge difference. It’s not perfect but works ok with a bit of care when shifting.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Thanks all.

I nicked the mech off my MTB and that worked. Well, a bit rough but usable. The MTB mech is and older generation of XT and seems to have a slightly shorter cage. The new XT mech works fine on the MTB (which is 9 speed). I think it’s all about tolerances.

I have now re-used a 10 speed chain-link about 6 times, which I believe means I shall burn in hell…

MaryHinge
    Free Member

10spd road and 9spd mtb pull ratios are definitely the same. They only changed the pull ratio for 10spd mtb for reasons I can’t fathom.

Cheers for the info Convert. Filed away for future.

coatesy
    Free Member

I reckon Pickers has it, classic symptoms of good shifting at one end, poor at the other literally screams bent mech hanger to any bike mechanic.

flap_jack
    Free Member

I will try and get a hanger, although the bike is nearly new and never been dropped. ALways worth having a spare even if it’s OK. I’ll report back findings…

coatesy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t guarantee a new one as being straight either, probably more than 85% of new bikes that come through our workshop need straightening with a hanger tool, better to get yours checked.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Why not just use a 10sp 105 mech?

32 cassettes work fine with road mechs…

flap_jack
    Free Member

oooh, interesting, coatesy. The bike’s been a right faff to get the shifting smooth since new.

Why not keep the old 105 mech ? It’s been a load of hassle for a 36 tooth gear, but we want to ride up the Joux Plane next week when we go to Morzine, and for mrs flap having the ultimate bail-out gear will make the difference.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 105 shifter + XT rear mech help please…’ is closed to new replies.