Home Forums Chat Forum Shed prices (once again!)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Shed prices (once again!)
  • phil5556

I’ve finally found someone that will actually make me a shed (garage). And got a price. It’s quite a lot more than a similar quote last year, I realise prices have gone up and I’ve changed the spec but this sounds expensive…

6 x 3m. 15mm boards. Pent roof, hot felt, 2 small windows, 1 set of double doors, one single door, internal partition, fabric membrane on inside (me to insulate/line), floor.

£4,500 including erection.

Last years price was nearer £2.5k without the extra door, partition and with nailed on felt.

theordinaryathlete
    Free Member

MIL just got one, same size, no internal walls, just storage, double garage style doors, concrete ramp and slab to put it on. £5k

EDIT: but yes I did nearly pass out when told the price.

carlos
    Free Member

Just paid a company in Sandbach, Cheshire £2100 ish for a 10×8, 32mm flat plank, pitched felt roof on 20mm T&G and membrane lined shed/workshop. 1x single door and 2x windows. They put it up but I had to sort the base.

simon_g

I’ve had emails from suppliers about timber prices going up almost every month since the autumn. Loads of factors – shipping, brexit, poor yields, US hurricanes, more houses being built here, biomass power stations, etc.

Added to which everyone wants a garden room these days to work in – lots of demand so they don’t feel the need to discount the labour part.

Kahurangi

Try this lot, I’m pretty happy with my shed. Prices have gone up since mine (18 months ago) so may be up-to-date with all the latest price increases.

suggests closer to £3.5k installed. Needing to prepare the ground and add a base in to the quoute would add significantly to your price.

https://www.northerngardensheds.co.uk/price-list

phil5556

Needing to prepare the ground and add a base in to the quoute would add significantly to your price.

I’ve got a lovely flat concrete pad to sit it on.

phil5556

Try this lot, I’m pretty happy with my shed.

Thanks, I’ve messaged them for a quote, will give them a call if they don’t get back to me.

goldfish24

First quote sounds low – prob a low quality job. Second quote sound a tad high, but entirely reasonable given current market conditions – everyone wants a shed now and timber prices are soaring as above.
    I built a similar sized shed myself for 2.5k spend just on materials and a lot of my hours.

phil5556

First quote sounds low – prob a low quality job. Second quote sound a tad high

Both the same place!
    First quote was bog standard, second quote better roof & extra door.

lesgrandepotato

Bought mine second hand two rooms 5m * 3m. Cost £150 and a new roof in onduline. Worth looking secondhand. I did have to paint it tho mind.

phil5556

Bought mine second hand two rooms 5m * 3m. Cost £150 and a new roof in onduline. Worth looking secondhand. I did have to paint it tho mind.

That would be perfect, I have been keeping half an eye out but haven’t seen anything for a while.

goldfish24

Both the same place!
    First quote was bog standard, second quote better roof & extra door.

Yep, understood that in my earlier reply. Allowing for extra cost on the upgrades, and allowing again for the current market the new quote sounds reasonable to me.

Bought mine second hand two rooms 5m * 3m. Cost £150

Doubt that would be in a market where every man +woman + dog has discovered the DIY bug, started working from home and simultaneously seen a spike in demand and a drop in supply of timber.

haven’t seen anything for a while.

Eggsactly

timber

Roadside timber values are definitely up. Species dependent, £10-£30 /ton on top of what had started to become fair prices a year ago. Demand and increased running costs.

It’s also a sellers market, everyone has wanted some sort of garden structure this last year, all the shed builders I know have waiting lists.

alanl
    Free Member

As a comparison, I’ve recently built a 3m x 1.2m lean to shed, so only 3 walls. It is solid, 3×3″ corner posts, 12mm treated cladding, 10mm thermosplastic twin wall roof, no flooring needed, as it’s straight onto slabs.
    Total cost was nearly £500, which was far more than I expected. All the timber was from a local outlet who are the cheapest in Leics.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I built a squished pentagon shape shed 2 years ago to fit in an otherwise dead space. It’s roughly equivalent to an 8×10 and frame build. Even then, the timber alone cost £1000. Total materials including breathable wrap, insulation, EPDM membrane etc was closer to 1500. Sufficient timber preservative for 3 coats of all the shiplap was 90 quid!

transporter13
    Free Member

I built my 6x3x2.4m shed from pallets.
    Roof was from Cladco and the exterior was covered with upvc shiplap cladding.
    1 layer of bricks around the perimeter for the pallets to sit onto and allow the cladding to overlap and stay waterproof.
    Sourced some second hand patio doors and spent 2 days with a cement mixer for the concrete base.
    Cost me about 1k all in.

phil5556

again for the current market the new quote sounds reasonable to me.

Should have pulled my finger out and got this sorted last year :(

phil5556

So another quote from another local place, same spec minus the hot felt is £4,100 so it probably is just the price of a decent shed!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Shed prices (once again!)’ is closed to new replies.