Home Forums Chat Forum Sharan/Alhambra Owners – seat removal

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Sharan/Alhambra Owners – seat removal
  • stim
    Free Member

Bit of a random one but thought there might be someone on here who has done it or looked into it for increasing bike capacity…

Thinking about getting a VW Sharan or Seat Alhambra but would never need the 2 seats in the 3rd row and would rather have the extra space for bikes etc. Has anyone looked into taking out, or actually taken out the 3rd row of seats? I assume it is quite easy but what is left over once they are out? A bunch of lumps and brackets that make the extra space unusable? Best would be if it then matches the 5 seat version in terms of space, but I suspect not.

Thanks in advance.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I only had 2 seats in the back of a galaxy – the gubbins they clip into doesn’t get in the way

Dibbs
    Free Member

When I had my Sharan I found it better to take one back row and one middle row seat out and then the bike would go in upright with the front wheel off and I used the seat mountings to tie the bike down using a ratchet strap.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Which model? With the seats out of my Mk1 (up to 2010?) there’s nothing left behind except small recesses in floor where seat bases clip in.

Never had back row in and usually leave middle seat of middle row out- can carry 4 people and huge amount of stuff.

matt_outandabout

On our latest model Galaxy it is 4 torx per seat. Leaves lots more space, 8 holes direct to road 😯 and saves a lot of weight.

hairyscary

The back of my 2007 Alhambra. Easy’ish to remove the seats and ends up flat. I’ve put foam padding down and sleep in it regularly on biking road trips.
    Awesome bike transporter.

timba
    Free Member

Remove the seats and only the Sharan is left?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Hairy, the rear seatbelts unclip from floor mountings and clip into where they come out. Gets them nicely out the way.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above, they make great bike/camping gear carriers 🙂 not the most optimally packed here (tired after long day in Verbier) but three bikes and me – only 1 rear seat left in

stim
    Free Member

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses! Much appreciated. I missed out a super critical bit of info in that I am looking only at 2010 or newer model with the fold flat seats. I need to know whether to look for a 5 seater or can also look at 7 seaters if I can easily take out the seats and make use of the space.

From studying pics on the internet it seems like you would be left with some brackets and stuff…

5 seater version with flat boot

With rear seats in place

I cannot find a picture anywhere of the 7 seater version without the seats in place! My intention would be to build a compartment in that space to bring the level up to make a bed and have storage underneath.

Thanks a lot.

Scamper
    Free Member

If it’s the 2010 Alhambra I presume they are like my 2015 (face lift) car? ie rear two seats fold flat into the floor. With the two rear seats flat, there is still enough room under them for wellies etc.

daviek

We have a 2010 Sharan and to be honest if you fold the back and middle row of seats flat theres loads of room. My bikes one of those quaint 26″ hardtails with a 18″ frame and if you remove the front wheel it fits in the car vertically without problems.

stim
    Free Member

Hi, thanks for the info. Yes it should be exactly the same as the 2015 model. With the seats in but folded flat, there is adequate space but I would never use these seats so would just whip them out and use the space for other things.

Scamper
    Free Member

I’ll see if mine can be removed. Thing is, the boot is so vast anyway and the folded seats are designed to not really rob any room

stim
    Free Member

Thanks that would be great!

Scamper
    Free Member

Can’t find my Manual but a quick look and I don’t think they are designed for DIY removal. As said its huge anyway and makes the S Max look tiny. The middle seats all slide independently increasing boot space or also folded completely flat.

stim
    Free Member

Thanks a lot for checking.

hairyscary

Cheers Crashtestmonkey. I’d not even looked at them, I just assumed they were fixed.

nutkey
    Free Member

I’ve done this in my post-2010 Alhambra – or rather, I do it sometimes when we’re going on holiday.

There are four bolts per seat, and one seat belt connector. You need a spline drive socket set for the bolts, and a small flat head to get the seat belt connector out. Once the seats are out, there are a couple of wires left loose in the car in a small recess. I cut a small plywood sheet to go over the top of the wires and protected them.

You will find that the load bay becomes a lot more awkward to use, but there is more space, and also you’ve saved quite a bit of weight, which is never a bad thing!

It counts (according to my insurance company) as a modification, but not if it is only a temporary mod. I have agreement from them that three times a year for three weeks a time is fine – and since I like to have the seats in except for major camping trips, that’s fine by me.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Sharan/Alhambra Owners – seat removal’ is closed to new replies.