Home Forums Chat Forum Selling a private/personalised Reg. plate?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Selling a private/personalised Reg. plate?
  • johnny

An advice question; I have a private plate form the previous owner on my van, which I have no interest in, how can I sell it? I understand changing the plate is a fairly simple DVLA job, but is there a recommended way of selling the plate on?

Google gives me a whole load of online sellers, but the websites all look a bit like those for no-win-no-fee claims. Any better suggestions? Thanks!

dooosuk
    Free Member

Put it on retention (going to cost you).

Sell it on Ebay.

Is it really worth it? Unless it’s sought after, more often than not, no.

maccruiskeen

Theres ‘personalised’ in terms of being a bit non-standard and theres ‘personalised ‘in the sense that the reg might spell out someone’s name or business and therefore personal to them – in which case it’s easy to sell to someone else with that name or line of business. If it’s just personalised in the sense that it’s just a non age related plate that happened to have the something like the owners initials as the last 3 letters then thats not really a big deal. Nobody would know it was their initials if you didn’t also know the driver. Not such an easy sell as there’ll be hundreds of plates with those three letters on and not many buyers with those initials

If its the former its probably worth the effort to retain it and sell it yourself. If it’s the latter it could sit on ebay for ever and not sell at any price. If the seller didnt feel the need to keep the plate it presumably didn’t cost them much and is also presumably not all that special.

If thats the case even if you have not interest in it, if it also doesnt bother you just keep it. If it does bother you offer it to one of the plate sellers for a low-hassle transaction.

tjagain

I used one of the plate sellers many years ago – got £1000 for RRJ 749 30 years ago.  Its suprising what folk will pay

maccruiskeen

I used one of the plate sellers many years ago – got £1000 for RRJ 749 30 years ago. Its suprising what folk will pay

Back them though ‘cherished’ plates were pretty rare – 30 years ago there weren’t many pre year-letter plates still about so it was a bit of an attention grabber to have one. But its not really the status symbol it once was. Once the DVLA started seeking out, setting aside selling numbers that might be interesting they really are 10 a penny – supply outstrips demand. If you’re on a busy road its quite fun to see if theres ever a moment when you can’t see at least one ‘private’ plate – they are incredibly ubiquitous

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I sold mine recently – £80 fees to DVLC and the process is straightforward – but not through the ‘Sell you Plate’ type websites. It was registered with one of those and advertised art £3,200 of which I would get £2,500 but I heard nothing from them. Strangely they already had it listed on their website even though neither me, nor the previous owner had spoken with them.

I actually sold it to a guy who started talking to me while I was stuck at the side of the road with a puncture on Christmas Eve. I gave him my number and told him to call in January if he was still interested, not really expecting to hear from him again. 10 days and £2,000 later I had sold the plate.

johnny

Thanks all.  This is a 6 digit plate, so might be worth having a look!? I’ll see what i can dig up.

andybrad

what is the plate out of interest?

Dickyboy

This is a 6 digit plate

Some motorcyclists* like these because it means you can legally have a smaller no plate.

* I have one purely for that reason

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.