Home Forums Bike Forum Santa Cruz Hightower 2018 or Bronson 2019?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Santa Cruz Hightower 2018 or Bronson 2019?
  • muddipete
    Free Member

So here’s the deal, looks like I can spend up to 2k on the cycle to work scheme.

Always liked but never owned a Santa Cruz, not such a niche brand these days but still make good bikes.

Would be looking for frame only so looking around my 2 preferred options are a Hightower CC 2018 or a Bronson 2019 Aluminium, can pick both up for sub 2k so factor n the tax benefits around £1500 ish. Still a chunk of cash but nothing like the 3k for a 2019 Carbon frame. The Hightower would be the easier option as my current bike is 29er so wheels etc would transfer over without and additional cost etc plus it lighter but the Bronson is a new model for 2019.

Obviously the Bronsons going to be heavier and has 27.5 wheels v 29 but has anyone out there ridden both, thoughts for general Trail centre, knocking round the local woods odd trip to BPW Stiniog etc?

jmatlock
    Free Member

Pete,

I have dropped you a message

Cheers

James

duckman
    Free Member

Are you sure you can get just a frame on Cyclescheme?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Are you sure you can get just a frame on Cyclescheme?

Yip, done it a few times myself.

muddipete
    Free Member

Yes so im told depending on the shop

duckman
    Free Member

Ya dancer!!!

tomhoward

general Trail centre, knocking round the local woods odd trip to BPW Stiniog etc?

And riding to work, obvs.

Blackflag
    Free Member

The obvious answer (to me anyway) is the Hightower. The 2018 frame is the same as the 2019 so you are getting a huge saving.

On top of that its going to be a lighter, a better “do it all” type bike and if its rad enough for Josh Bryceland, then its rad enough for you.

muddipete
    Free Member

TBH that was my view.

And of course Tom forgot C2W bit, you get pannier mounts on a hightower right ? ;-)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

And riding to work, obvs.

Nope, hence the name change from C2W to cyclescheme…..

buenfoxa
    Free Member

New Hightower with the lower link VPP as seen on the Bronson/Nomad is due sometime this year apparently – I wouldn’t be getting a current model Hightower for that reason alone.

yoshimi

I’m expecting the new lower link Hightower too, but for the more frugal it means £2k vs £3k(min) – I’m not regretting my 2018 Hightower LT bought just before Christmas at the knock down price

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden a Hightower however I have a 2019 Bronson and the new lower linkage is another world compared with the older style VPP linkages I have ridden (Nomads, Blurs).

buenfoxa
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden a Hightower however I have a 2019 Bronson and the new lower linkage is another world compared with the older style VPP linkages I have ridden (Nomads, Blurs).

+1 on this 100%

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Also according to strava I was faster on a track the first day I rode the Bronson than I was on the same track on my old Nomad that I had ridden loads and I’m faster down my local DH track in the wet on the second day out on the bike than I was in the summer in the dry on my V10. Make of that what you will…

yoshimi

A year or so after the New Hightower arrives and gets discounted is the point when I’ll think about trading in my 2018…I’m just tight like that:)

Blackflag
    Free Member

A year or so after the New Hightower arrives and gets discounted is the point when I’ll think about trading in my 2018…I’m just tight like that:)

Exactly. I wouldn’t dream of paying full RRP for a Santa Cruz. All tweaks and changes from year to year never come close to offsetting the +30% discount you get. Especially when the existing / last years model is so highly rated.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Santa Cruz only really tweak their bikes after around 3 years though. They just release different colours every year.

Tallboy and Hightower are next I reckon. Wouldn’t be surprised if they redesign the Hightower LT and morph the Hightower and Tallboy together.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Cycle2work I hadn’t realised they did frame only, was tempted at the trade in offer on a tallboy at Evans but only an XL in Stock

dyls

I also wonder if a new Hightower and Tallboy is due this year? They’ll maybe morph the current hightower/tallboy into one 120mm ish bike and keep the 150mm hightower, seeing they now have a 100/110mm blur in their lineup. All speculation of course.

chakaping

+1 for hanging on for the revamped Hightower.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Hightower 2018 or Bronson 2019?’ is closed to new replies.