Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)
  • Sam pilgrim garden build taken down
  • sl2000

Interesting video. Enforcement notice from planning department forced him to remove the jumps from his garden. He claims it was the operator of a local bike business who complained to the council.

poah
    Free Member

and?

zippykona

Un **** believable.
    You can’t ride a push bike in your back garden.

edd

trail_rat
    Free Member

You can’t ride a push bike run a business in your back garden without planning .

The main business of Sam Pilgrim limited is riding bikes so hard to argue other wise…..

Obviously upset someone local.

jimmy748

From what I gather. Dickhead no.1 rides his pit bike and electric motorbikes in Dickhead no.2’s bike park. Dickhead No.2 retaliates to Dickhead No1’s behaviour with more Dickhead like behaviour.

el_boufador

Anyone know what grounds there would be under planning permission to take the jumps down and / or stop him riding push bikes there?

I can understand him being told to take the scaff tower down (which was massive and looked bloody awful!) And also to stop riding pit bikes etc.

But from what he says in the video neighbors were all ok.

nickjb
    Free Member

I presume it us down to riding bikes being his job so he has created a workplace. Possibly change of use too if it is agricultural land.

tabletop2
    Free Member

Obviously rubbish for him,

However a bit uneasy about publicly calling someone out on such a massive platform. Can only end badly

jimmy748

However a bit uneasy about publicly calling someone out on such a massive platform. Can only end badly

Very much this. Just gave out the guys name and email to 1.5 Million People.

Tim
    Free Member

I presume it us down to riding bikes being his job so he has created a workplace. Possibly change of use too if it is agricultural land.

This must form part of it, otherwise retrospective planning would be a possibility?

As someone above mentioned, if this bloke gets doxxed then this could get uglier…

scotroutes

A 12 year old boy in a mans body?

@scotroutes, which one? The mouthbreather who wrote that websters letter/email, or the gap-toothed belter?

argee

If it’s true then it does seem to be a bit OTT, i know he’s a proper marmite character, but he does play the character a bit more for youtube and everything else, from what i’ve seen and heard he’s a decent enough guy who loves biking, any type of biking and always has time to chat and so on when he’s out and about at the usual places.

It would be good to read more about what the actual reasoning was behind the enforcement notice and how the appeal failed though, seems a bit quick and painless for this type of thing to go from initial assessment to end of the enforcement period?

sirromj

Anyone know what grounds there would be under planning permission to take the jumps down and / or stop him riding push bikes there?

Interested in this too. Couldn’t riding bikes be equally for his leisure as his profession? How can they say he can’t ride bikes there? Or is it just not ride bikes in a professional capacity? If the latter could he still keep those skinnies – for trials practice – he’s not a professional trials rider?

martinhutch

It would be good to read more about what the actual reasoning was behind the enforcement notice and how the appeal failed though,

This kind of permanent structure above a certain height requires planning permission, which presumably he didn’t apply for, and has been retrospectively refused it as well after it was drawn to the attention of the local planners. I’m sure there will be some paperwork out there on the internet – planning documents are publically available.

Setting his youtube followers on whoever he’s blaming for it is a colossal dick move.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

As you lot so often say with headcam/traffic/ ranty cyclist videos….

Nobody comes out of this looking anything other than a complete bell end

Tim
    Free Member

Interested in this too. Couldn’t riding bikes be equally for his leisure as his profession? How can they say he can’t ride bikes there? Or is it just not ride bikes in a professional capacity? If the latter could he still keep those skinnies – for trials practice – he’s not a professional trials rider?

I doubt we have heard the full story…

zippykona

Next door to me wanted to build a tree house , which was in reality a shed on stilts.
    It was going to be tall enough to easily see into our garden. A check with planning said it could only be a certain height if it had an external ladder . If the ladder went up the middle there was no restriction on how tall it could be.
    Monty Don is a professional gardener and he built a big mound in his garden a few years back.

sirromj

Does it also mean he can’t Zwift 🤣

tjagain

for planning to insist its removed means there is a lot more going on than we have been told

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So how does Matt Jones get away with it at his place ?

Just lucky he doesn’t have neighbours?

When Sam first bought that place I thought it would pee the neighbours off but in the vid he reckons the neighbours are ok with what he does

That place must have cost him a bob or two and probably wouldn’t have bought it if it wasn’t for all the land to build jumps. Still maybe should have done his research?

Oh and looked after the swimming pool.

It’s not just him there too. Tom Cardy lives there as well

tjagain

One assumes he has done it within the law unlike pilgrim

enforcement at that level is very rare – there must be more to the tale

reeksy

Whatever you think about the situation, the email the guy sent to council is very funny.

5plusn8
    Free Member

deleted for wibbling..

thepurist

enforcement at that level is very rare – there must be more to the tale

You can find the appeal decision notice on the planning inspectorate website. It seems to come down to the size and scale of the work that’d been done that means that riding a bike isn’t ‘incidental to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse’. That doesn’t explain the motivation for the original complaint though.

monkeyboyjc

Its pretty well hidden at matt’s compound – you can’t see it on three sides and the farmer / landowner he rents from is the only person who can see it. Either he’s got planning, pretty easy to find out in the relevant council web site, or he hasn’t and it’s under the radar.

Having been involved in planning in the past my first thoughts when seeing Pilgrims plans for his back garden were, I hope he’s checked with planning. What he had built, clearly was against planning laws – and was in good view of a number of residential properties. Only takes one person to contact planning etc etc etc. There’s a reason most pro’s have hidden compounds or secret spots.

Appeal probably would be rejected as it’s in a residential property and would give president for others to build structures over 2m. If it were a bit of brownfield site, hidden from view, not in a residential setting (like Matt Jones) I’d have thought he’d have been ok.

As for the guy that actually dished the dirt – what a ****er. Wouldn’t have shocked me if it were a neighbor, but some one actively involved in the sport is propper shocking.

dannyh
    Free Member

If he flogged the land for 20 boxy houses to be thrown up on it I bet the he’d get it through planning in less than six months.

Fun is not allowed in the UK any more unless it can be neatly packaged and monetised.

monkeyboyjc

If he flogged the land for 20 boxy houses to be thrown up on it I bet the he’d get it through planning in less than six months.

Yep – something we need at the moment, and def a better use of the land from a planning point of view.

dannyh
    Free Member

^^^^

Yeah, right-o.

I’m just going to play amateur sleuth for a second and posite that your employment is connected to the building/property sector in some way.

🕵‍♂️

andylc
    Free Member

Quite apart from whatever is going on between him and the other guy that he’s doing his best to make worse, I’m really not sure what you expect when you build an eyesore of a structure about 3 stories high in your back garden without planning, and then effectively use it to help earn your living. Only one ending to that.

timmys

Whatever you think about the situation, the email the guy sent to council is very funny.

I would have returned it to him with feedback along the lines of “can you please find an adult to help you write your letter sonny”.

matt_outandabout

I too am not comfortable with him calling someone out. The comments section below video is worrying with many threats being made. Not good.

I too also wonder what the reason for enforcement it – and much as he is a nice enough chap, he has videos which show a somewhat uncaring or unawareness of environmental and social issues that riding bikes can cause. Enforcement is surely quite a big step after much communication and opportunity to react / adjust / move house…

trickydisco
    Free Member

from the comments

You can find the appeal online but the council felt that the riding in the garden went beyond incedental use and constituted a change of use to mixed use. The appeal upheld that view but some of the required remedies were scrubbed as unnecessary.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Irrespective of the infants school politics between pilgrim and ‘Mark the illiterate’ I’d say the council judged it right tbh.

There’s clearly more to this than the way its been portrayed.

That YT clip is clearly intended to wound the other party. Pilgrim, never high in my estimations as a human being, (other than his uh, ‘mad skillz’) has just shown some genuine nastiness.

monkeyboyjc

employment is connected to the building/property sector in some way.

Nope – own/run a village shop. Use to work in retail/shop design though. Just aware of planning process and also the need for housing at the moment.

To be fair to Pilgrim, although I don’t agree with calling out the guy, it’s all within the public domain it’ll only take one (of the millions) subscriber to look it up and work out the in and outs themselves.

matt_outandabout

it’ll only take one (of the millions) subscriber to look it up and work out the in and outs themselves.

Except it won’t. The online witch hunt has started, and vast majority won’t return to check facts. The injury is done, and will fester under ill-informed and prejudiced fans who think he can do no wrong. See his trail building in SSSI, carving up public parks, rudeness to other land users that’s only ‘banter’.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Isn’t doxxing like this now illegal?

monkeyboyjc

It is – which is why pilgrim didn’t use surnames etc  – however the email of the mark guy will be on the letter within the public domain of the planning appeal process. Like I said above, it’ll only take one to Google search, find the email, stick it in the comments or on another forum etc. Exactly how Pilgrim found the email address.

People who contact planning often sent aware it’s a public process and that works both ways. It’s quite interesting to see who spends their time disputing planning applications – many of my local disputes have nothing to do with planning law, rather personal grievances, which also seems to be the case for pilgrim.

hooli

There’s clearly more to this than the way its been portrayed

I thought that too, council wouldn’t go to the trouble of enforcement if it was 1 complaint from a local business owner.

Lets be honest, even as mountain bikers, how many of us would want somebody buying a place next door, building a scaffold tower and jumps and then ragging a pitbike around the garden?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Sam pilgrim garden build taken down’ is closed to new replies.