Home Forums Chat Forum Salad Cream Sandwiches

• This topic has 50 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by bfw.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Salad Cream Sandwiches
    dyna-ti

Love them. Nothing else usually but two slices of bread and a liberal helping of Heinz salad cream.

Anyone else ?

CountZero

When I was a kid, yes, but then I grew up and discovered mayonnaise.

oldnpastit

Cold potatoes slathered in home made lemony garlic mayo.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Yep, i have posted a thread before praisng salad cream.

Mayo and saladcream are not the smae thing. They’re both amazing but they are not the same thing, a mayo sandwhich would suck balls.

Take it up a notch dynati and get some sandwich spread

longdog
    Free Member

Surprisingly salad cream on a bacon butty isn’t all that bad. Someone I worked with used to do it and I was very dubious about it until I tried it and it was pretty good, but tomato sauce is still the way to go.

leffeboy

Mayo and chili sauce sandwich here

wwpaddler
    Free Member

I used to love lettuce and thousand Island dressing sandwiches.  I think the lettuce was only there to placate my parents who wouldn’t let me have a thousand Island dressing sandwich!!

martymac

I went to my uncle’s house one day and he made a tomato sauce sandwich.
    My mum was absolutely horrified when I asked for it at home

Kramer
    Free Member

tomato brown sauce is still the way to go.

You’re welcome.

Tom83

We grew up pretty poor, but there was always salad cream in the cupboard. We’d put it on whatever was otherwise too dry or plain.

I still once in a while put a splodge of it on a few dry crackers, which was one of my faves at the time.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Yes can’t beat salad cream sandwiches

Also cheese, salad cream and mint sauce is a good combo

Chicken Sunday roast , salad cream on the chicken breast, mixing in to the gravy

MoreCashThanDash

If it was was Sunday we had sliced tomatoes in as well.

Sandwich spread sandwiches were a packed lunch staple as a kid

reeksy

I went to my uncle’s house one day and he made a tomato sauce sandwich.
    My mum was absolutely horrified when I asked for it at home

You can hardly blame her, you’re a grown man Timothy!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIYUJQKW66A8K5Do1ltu3M-rFR9Yrvef0NHg&s

longdog
    Free Member

We used to get sandwich spread sarnies too, hated them. Also dripping and salt sarnies, loved them.

Riofer
    Free Member

Enhanced by adding prawn cocktail crisps for some crunch

burntembers

Salad cream and sliced beetroot is still a win for me. Sometimes use pickled chilli ones if i’m feeling a bit la di dah, and sometimes add crisps (prefably square) for a bit of crunch!

Family thinks it’s weird, but I also like just English mustard on toast, no butter just mustard.

keefezza
    Free Member

The wife looks at me, judging me, when I scoff a salad cream butty. She just doesn’t get it.

Salad cream works with so many things, brilliant on a Margherita pizza.

fenderextender
    Free Member

Salad cream is simply vile.

binners

Enhanced by adding prawn cocktail crisps for some crunch

The crisp and salad cream butty is a thing of beauty. Works great with cheese and onion and salt and vinegar too. Also fish finger butties

Salad Cream absolutely has to be Heinz though. It’s one of the things that the supermarket own brands just can’t get right

rockbus

When we use to go to my nans as kids brown or tomato sauce sandwiches were given to us and seen as a real treat. My mum in an attempt to be ‘new middle class’ wouldnt allow us to even have them as condiments at dinner.

I sometimes have cheese, cucumber and salad sarnies – but really the cheese and cucumber are just an excuse for ten tons of salad cream to be added.

binners

I’m presuming everybody else does the same and whenever actually eating a salad, the salad to salad cream ratio is about 50/50?

fossy

Yes.

Bunnyhop

Heinz sandwich spread (made with salad cream) is a staple in our house. Used when we run out of other fillings by the end of the week.

angrycat
    Free Member

fenderextender +1 – these people are all sick and twisted!

Kryton57

Salad cream and sliced beetroot

Add cheese for an awesome sandwich.   Then we have re salad cream vs mayo;

a) Garlic Mayo and Lettuce sandwich

b) Egg and Tomato in a crusty French stick, where the egg is hard boiled egg cooled and mixed with Salad cream before applying generously to the bottom of the French stick, adding a layer of ripe tomatoes lightly seasoned with salt.

the-muffin-man

• Grated Mature Cheddar Cheese
    • Sliced Onion
    • Loads of Salad Cream

My favourite sandwich.

The onion makes me feel gippy a few hours after eating though! :-)

schmiken

Try corned beef hash and salad cream sandwiches – a favourite of mine when I was younger!

TiRed

As per Marmite, the answer is never Salad Cream.

madhouse

Not had a salad cream sarnie in ages, want one now though! Sandwich spread’s a blast from the past too.

Salad cream is the perfect addition to any cold pizza, also great on chips, on a fish finger sarnie …. the list goes on!

smiffy

I’m presuming everybody else does the same and whenever actually eating a salad, the salad to salad cream ratio is about 50/50?

Yep.

I can lick the pate at the end.

The colour it goes if you’ve got beetroot is sublime.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Posted it before but Thoma’s bakery outlets local to us will squirt a healthy dose of salad cream in to any sandwich ordered but with cheese savoury and salad is Michelin star worthy

andytherocketeer

Prefer a garnish of cheese in my salad cream sarnies.

Same with Branston pickle sarnies.

Sandwich spread looks like sick.  I remember flatmate at uni putting sandwich spread on cheese on toast before grilling it.  Not only did it look like sick, it actually had that acidic aroma of fresh chunder too.

nuke

Salad cream is underrated; goes on and enhances so many foods. We get through more salad cream than any other condiment but has to be Heinz

bearnecessities

I remember flatmate at uni putting sandwich spread on cheese on toast before grilling it.  Not only did it look like sick, it actually had that acidic aroma of fresh chunder too.

Pfft.

Burger Toast.

disco_stu
    Free Member

Salad cream with salt & vinegar crisps is a winning sandwich.

mattyfez

Everyone has to watch this!!!  hehehehe!

martymac
    doomanic

As per Marmite, the answer is never Salad Cream.

Can I give half a like?

FormerMountainBiker
    Free Member

Salad cream is simply vile.

I agree.

We grew up pretty poor, but there was always salad cream in the cupboard

I think a big part of my aversion to it is because of memories of growing up in poverty. We did’t have it, but many other families did, and friends’ mums would make us sarnies with salad cream in. Being brought up not to be rude about food I was given, and to always be grateful, I’d eat them even though I was trying not to gag. And I’d always say thank you afterwards. Which just meant that the mums thought I liked them. So I’d get them the next time I went round, and so on. I learned to avoid certain houses around meal times.

There was a whole plethora of nasty foodstuffs when I was a kid. Another hatred is Spam; truly horrible stuff. With the Spam fritter being the ultimate in nastiness; how can you make something already horrible even worse? Deep fry it in greasy batter. Ugh.

Piccalilli though; I’d eat that out of the jar if left unsupervised.

Freester

Fish Finger and Salad Cream sandwich (standard sliced white) FTW.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.