Home Forums Bike Forum Route planning website for rides

• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Route planning website for rides
  • Kevsterjw
    Free Member

Hey dudes and dudettes.

I’m away next week and will have my bike with me, but to an area I don’t know. Is there a website that you can search for cycle routes, on or off road, from a postcode?

sammaratti
    Free Member

Not that I know of.

I was advised to use a strava heat map which works well, and you can use it even if your like me and not down with this strava malarky.

Comes up with a quick google

piemonster
    Free Member

Worth a gander

http://www.opencyclemap.org

Not really what your looking for, but lots of trails on it. But variable I’m told admittedly.

Bregante
    esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Why don’t you just Google in, ‘Cycle routes around *insert location name*’

There’s probably some club/individual that’s got some routes on a web page.

Failing that, buy an OS map & go investigate, It’s how you find out!

jekkyl

http://m.cyclestreets.net/
    Put in start postcode, put in end postcode and if you click to get the quietest route it’ll usually pick up bridle ways and sustrans tracks too.

therevokid
    Free Member

ridewithgps and make your own routes :)

Kunstler
    Kunstler

Also, I don’t really use strava but when I’ve googled for routes, for instance at Inshriach and around Aviemore, strava has come up with some interesting results.

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

Cheers for replies, Kunstler view ranger looks spot on.

thenorthwind

Bikely’s worth a try

ferrals
    Free Member

If you do use strava you can make your own routes on a computer and it looks like from the latest update, have them displayed on your phone as you ride round

timmys

If you’re looking to find the most popular routes in a given area you want to be using the strata heat map.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

gpsies is pretty nice

jsync

bookmarked

DT78
    Free Member

Strava without doubt the best tool. Either, use the route planner yourself and it will point out segments so you can see the popular areas (popular usually equals good outside of a conurbation), or find a segment or 2 with the explore function, look at the leaderboards, select one of the top 10 riders. Likely they will be a local fast boy and they will have done the time as part of a well trodden route. Copy route and either base your planning off it, or just export it as is. I’ve been using this method to learn my way round the South Downs.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Route planning website for rides’ is closed to new replies.