Home Forums Bike Forum Rose still not shipping to UK, send to Mallorca hotel instead?

• This topic has 37 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Rose still not shipping to UK, send to Mallorca hotel instead?
  • 13thfloormonk

Wife has booked our Mallorca trip next year. Personally not massively keen on flying for various reasons but needs must!

Just wonder if it’s an opportunity to get that Rose X-Lite 6 I’ve been hankering after for a while. I could offset some of the cost (or at least tell my wife this) against hiring a bike whilst we’re there.

Problem is getting it home, will airlines notice that you didn’t take a bike out with you? I guess having ridden it wouldn’t help so I’d get stung for VAT? I don’t really begrudge paying my dues but can’t help but think I’ll end up paying over the odds, it’s happened to me before (UK customs applied VAT to the value of an item in Canadian dollars, rather than converting to GBP first).

imnotverygood

Fly out with one airline and back with a different one.

wheeliedirty
    Free Member

Years back a mate would fly to the US with an old cheap set of golf clubs. Once in the US the clubs would be thrown away and a brand new set of clubs would be bought and brought back to the UK. As far as customs where aware one set of clubs left the country and one set came back.

13thfloormonk

Can you reclaim duty that you’ve paid on EU goods in Europe? Otherwise I’d sort of feel like I was paying VAT twice.

Or could just post it back to UK from Spain, cost of postage vs. airport hassles and not having to pay to fly an empty/skip bike across with me in the first place…

I guess deep down I’d be a hypocrite if I tried to dodge paying taxes, just trying to be ‘efficient’ about it 😀

choppersquad
    Free Member

We’re taxed our whole lives then taxed when we die, so I’d say don’t really worry about that side of it. If it can save you a few quid go for it.

andrewh
    Free Member

You won’t get German VAT deducted if its shipped to Spain.
    What *should* happen is that you reclaim the German VAT of 19% when you export it from Spain and then pay UK VAT at 20% when you import it here.
    The actual practicalities of doing this could be interesting. Most international airports will have a VAT reclaim place but I don’t know how a Spanish one would treat a German claim and has anyone ever had their bike checked on arrival in the UK? The Aussies are the only ones who’ve ever checked mine and that was just to make sure that it was (very!) clean.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The airline won’t give a toss that you didn’t have one other way out, as long as you pay the extra luggage cost.

Maybe even worth a wee long weekends cycling to pick one up from their HQ, Not too far from ijmuiden – where the Newcastle ferry docks. I’ve read of folks doing that to pick up from canyon.

tthew

Would they even ship to a hotel in a different country from the invoice address? If you were asked to do that for a second hand bike you were selling, it’d fire off all the scam alarms.

ahsat

I’d be more concerned about it turning up at the hotel the week you are there. I’ve ordered three bikes from Rose over the years and they are their usual efficient German selves; but with parts etc being what they are can you guarantee it arriving that week?

5plusn8
    Free Member

Airline won’t care.
    1) “I left my bike here last time I came bringing it back now”
    2) Bring a tip sourced BSO in your evoc bag on the way, donate to locals and bring your rose bike back.
    3) Massive risk delivery gets delayed and you go home before bike arrives and Manuel gets a free bike.

jonba
    Free Member

I know people who have done this in the US but not with bikes.

You may very well have pay for the bike on both legs of the flight so fly out with an empty box/bag?

It’s a massive risk for something that expensive. I got mine just before the Brexit ban. It was a bit of a mess. They sent me the wrong specification and had to send me out parts separately to change. Nothing was available so it took a couple of months. Also with current supply chains there’s a very good chance it will be delayed. When I ordered mine I got a window of about a month, not a week.

I love their road bikes. I’ve had two. They are a good company. They messed up my order, that happens to every company, I got a phone number and a personal email. It was followed up to completion at their expense. They spoke to me afterwards, made sure I was happy and everything was ok and sent me £150 worth of free kit in addition to many apologies.

At this point though, I’d say order a Canyon or a Ribble if you don’t mind waiting.

#bollockstobrexit

damascus
    Free Member

Fly out with a good quality bike box and put something that weighs around 20 pounds in it.

Then put the bike in the box and bring it home. Make sure it’s dirty when you pack it up to bring it back.

Then sort out your paper work.

julians
    Free Member

The airline wont care that you didnt take it out with you.

Assuming you’re travelling with ryanair/easyjet/jet 2 etc, you can just book the baggage you need for each trip, so on the way out you dont need to pay for a bike to be transported , you would just pay for one on the return leg.

Your biggest issue will be ensuring that the bike arrives at the hotel when you are there, and that the hotel will take delivery of it and not just turn the delivery driver away – that and rose bikes being willing to deliver to an address that isnt the normal address of the person buying the bike.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The airline wont care that you didnt take it out with you.

Assuming you’re travelling with ryanair/easyjet/jet 2 etc, you can just book the baggage you need for each trip, so on the way out you dont need to pay for a bike to be transported , you would just pay for one on the return leg.

Your biggest issue will be ensuring that the bike arrives at the hotel when you are there, and that the hotel will take delivery of it and not just turn the delivery driver away – that and rose bikes being willing to deliver to an address that isnt the normal address of the person buying the bike.

This, all of it.

FB-ATB

Hmm, my nephew’s studying/ working in Germany, maybe he could bring a few bikes next time he comes to the UK!

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

I flew to Houston for a training course a few years ago. I had just smashed my road bike up in a road race crash. Took my empty bike box with me (just had clothes in it) on the BA flight to the states. Bought a bike in Houston used it while out there for a few rides then brought it back with me. No one asked I suppose it was just assumed I was round tripping it.

Problem will be getting it delivered on time. I would just buy from one of the nice bike shops in Pollensa.

hooli

How would the warranty work if something goes wrong?

ransos
    Free Member

Fly out with a good quality bike box and put something that weighs around 20 pounds in it.

The bike box goes through a scanner so I think there would be questions…

highlandman
    Free Member

@FB-ATB : that’s called ‘smuggling’ and is frowned upon by those in authority.

snotrag

The flying/getting through customs bit is easy.

The issue is as above – Will Rose post to a hotel? Will the hotel sign for it? Where will they put it? What if turns up while your out on the beach? What if it turns up after yuo’ve gone home?

If you had a friend who lived in Spain, I’d say go for it. To a Hotel? No way…

butcher

With any order there is no guarantee it will arrive while you’re there, and I believe Rose build their bikes on demand. This might depend on the bike you’re buying, I don’t know, but my experience is that you’ll get an estimated waiting time of weeks, or months. It’s a slim chance it’ll arrive at the right time, which could leave you in a bit of a pickle before you even think about the tax issues and costs of flying it home.

oikeith

When I’ve been to Orlando I always fly out with one case and fly back with two, the second would be full of stuff I’d purchased, I’d remove the labels but never got asked a single question! How I missed when it was 2 dollars to the pound!

honourablegeorge

You could ship it to me in ireland

I will keep it, though

antigee
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge’s plan sounds a lot better assuming allow pick up …

“…Maybe even worth a wee long weekends cycling to pick one up from their HQ, Not too far from ijmuiden – where the Newcastle ferry docks. I’ve read of folks doing that to pick up from canyon.”

Outward by public transport ?

FB-ATB

that’s called ‘smuggling’ and is frowned upon by those in authority.

Any different to what other people are proposing?

13thfloormonk

You could ship it to me in ireland

I will keep it, though

Haha!

But also… genius!

We have friends in Ireland, I even have an Irish passport (not that it makes a difference) so as many people have pointed out already, why deal with the hassle and stress of getting posted to a hotel in Spain when I could just enjoy a nice wee jaunt over to Dublin.

Chalk this one down to the second large Laphroaig of the evening (when I posted originally, not now…)

Sooo… 6.8kg but ‘not black’

Or 6.4kg but ‘just black’ (oh, actually the 50mm Carbon wheels might swing it for me, boring colours or no)

brads
    Free Member

Smuggling lol
    Some people really take things too seriously.

Who cares if get get a cheaper bike ? It’s hardly the crime of the century is it?
    Apart from that you’ll have paid tax at source .

Empty bike bag out , full bike bag back.
    Just make sure Rose are informed and onboard

footflaps

The whole point of Brexit was to make the UK poorer, so avoiding 20% VAT is very much in the spirit of Brexit and should be commended as being public spirited.

poolman
    Free Member

The delivery guys here in Spain used to be brilliant, last 2 orders it’s been raining so the driver cba getting out his van so just sent the parcel back saying incomplete address, which it was not.

Anything valuable I would ask for it to be retained at the depot for collection.

A mate, well me actually, bought a few bikes on holiday in usa, early mb days tney were half uk price. I just rode them around while there and put them in bike box.

Speak to seller directly as credit cards don’t like shipping to 3rd party address, stinks of fraud.

damascus
    Free Member

@13thfloormonk no disc brakes? 🤣

13thfloormonk

no disc brakes?

Do you really need to ask? 😂

UCI minimum weight* for £2800 should be reason enough, blessed silence on wet descents would just be a bonus.

(goes off to report self to mods for turning yet another thread into a disc brake thread 🙄)

*for a size XXXS with no paint or pedals, but still

honourablegeorge

13thfloormonk

We have friends in Ireland, I even have an Irish passport (not that it makes a difference)

I’m pretty sure an Irish passport means it’s not smuggling. You can then legally take it into Northern Ireland, which is also in the UK, and Boris Johnson has said there’s no customs between NI and the rest of the UK

finbar
    Free Member

no disc brakes?

Good decision IMO. Anyway – boring black for me. The grey one with the green inside the stays has a strong 2010s Boardman vibe.

Stainypants

This intercontinental ballistic missile only contains 0.1% plutonium what harm could do

My coffeee only has 0.01% cyanide in it that should be fineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

rOcKeTdOg

Fine until you need to warranty something

wzzzz
    Free Member

I did this once on a work trip to San Francisco

Hotel said they would hold parcel for me.

Parcel still hadn’t come on the 2nd to last day

Then FedEx attempted delivery on last day, but said there was no one there to sign for it.

I found a FedEx office and asked to re attempt, they said they would. They didn’t.

At 6pm I found out where the San Francisco depot was and jumped on the BART to almost the last stop.

It was pitch black dark, 8pm I was wandering round an unfamiliar neighbourhood at the end of the line….America is not set up for pedestrians

Managed to convince someone to go and find my parcel.

Eventually after 1.5hrs they brought it out! Result!

Now I just had to wander back through the dodgy neighborhood at 10pm with a large parcel and looking at my phone for navigation.

Would I do it again? Hell no.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Fine until you need to warranty something

Madison will warranty Shimano bought anywhere as part of their agreement.

alpin
    Free Member

The bike box goes through a scanner so I think there would be questions…

Was allowed to view the screen when my bike went through the scanner once.

Looked awesome! Would have loved a screenshot.

You could see the coil inside the fork, every bolt.

Certainly made me think twice about hiding anything inside the frame!

Have travelled to the UK in the van with bikes several times. Not once did they check the bikes.

I’m travelling back to the UK around Feb/March next year. Open to offers… 😉

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Rose still not shipping to UK, send to Mallorca hotel instead?’ is closed to new replies.