Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • ROOF MOUNTED BIKE RACKS ?
  • safehandsduffy
    Free Member

Thinking of buying thule 591 bike racks rather than sticking 3 muddy bikes in back of motor ,is this the way to go ? have no tow bar ,any views ?

jcromton
    Free Member

Yes, if it's the rack I'm thinking of, I love mine. Takes approximately 10seconds to put the bike on. Keeps your bike away from road spray and while it does use a bit more fuel, just drive slower on motorways and it evens it out…

chubby_monk
    Free Member

I got one for christmas. It's great

Lionheart
    Free Member

Have three – great kit but a Commencal, and one Giant did not fit on it, so just chaeck it will work with your bikes

fruitbat

I've got 3 – noisy but nice!

ltheisinger
    Free Member

I have the Thule ProRide 591 on the roof of mine and its superb! I drove from Plymouth to Les Gets with 4 DH bikes on it and have been all over the country and it has been faultless – loading unloading is easy as pie!

clareymorris

Although not the Thule racks, (I got 2 for 1 at halfords on their own racks) I love mine. REALLy quick and easy to use. My Volvo V70 is totally un-economical anyway, so it doesn't make much difference (on short runs ;-))!

MaxRocks
    Free Member

Bought a pair 2nd hand from here and they're great.

Only issue is the square taper on a Giant Trance doesn't fit in the support arm properly. Probably wouldn't move but I still secure a tie to it.

Also don't undo all the securing clamps and think I'll get my gloves out of the car. The bike will fall off and hit you in the back 😳

safehandsduffy
    Free Member

hi to all who replied ,thanks a lot mind now made up will purchase 591,s .Found twin pack for £135 at fasteronline,or £129 each at halfords !!!

theflatboy
    Free Member

i've got a thule 561 – i love it, and feel that the slightly lower centre of gravity and position makes it a bit more stable, as does the fork clamp fitting.

very happy with it, though i'm permanently paranoid about the day i rip it off the top of the car after going under something too low for it…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘ROOF MOUNTED BIKE RACKS ?’ is closed to new replies.