Home Forums Bike Forum RockShox Monarch shock "stuck-down"

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • RockShox Monarch shock "stuck-down"
  • stevomcd
    Free Member

One of the Monarch 2.1 shocks we have seems to be “stuck down”. With no air in the main chamber, it goes down to about 50% sag and is very hard to cycle by hand.

By putting a lot of air in the chamber (200psi), I can get it to almost (but not quite) fully extend.

Had a lock at the service manual at sram.com and looks pretty straightforward.

Two questions really :

1. Will a strip and re-build (either with new seals or a good clean of the old ones) solve the problem?

2. Can a I use a Marzocchi air adapter to re-inflate the damping chamber? (Looks identical to the Monarch one to me).

khani
    Free Member

Sounds like the bleed port inside that equalises the positive and negative air chambers is blocked, that’s why it re’extends when you pump it up and sticks down when it’s deflated cos the negative air chamber is pulling it down
    Be carefull when you split it as they can go ‘pop’ and take your eye out very easily, fox had a spate of this happening a bit ago as well, not sure how to sort it though I’d ask loco from here or tf tuned for advice if I were you.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Cheers Khani, that’s what I reckoned as well. Trying to figure out if I can clear the bleed port without having to re-pressurise the negative chamber.

khani
    Free Member

Last time my mate did a fox he did it while it was still attached to the frame so it didn’t explode and take his eye out, let as much air as poss out; even sitting on the bike while someone poked the air valve, then wrapped a rag round it and unscrewed the air can, once undone, change the seals and clean it all up inside, it only takes a tiny bit of grit to block it up

stevomcd
    Free Member

A very extended Google has just revealed that the Marzocchi valve adapter won’t work – they’re very slightly different. 😐

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘RockShox Monarch shock "stuck-down"’ is closed to new replies.