Home Forums Bike Forum Rock Lobster 853 – what are they like?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Rock Lobster 853 – what are they like?
  • Pieface

I need a replacement frame for a Cotic Soul. Much as I’d love to get another Soul I’m on a bit of a budget.

Is the RL 853 still very much an XC bike or has it been updated to make it a bit burlier and take 120mm forks.

Jamie
    Free Member

Very much an XC bike. An awesome XC bike, which was my introduction into ‘proper’ bikes, but not really comparable to the Soul.

IMHO.

Dialled PA 853 might be an option? Not sure if they are out yet tho.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

I have a 19″ Rock Lobster frame I’m going to sell if you’re interested?

sefton
    Free Member

for a propper 100mm XC bike I think they are great. just got my wife one.

the soul should be better suited to a longer fork I would think.

the ali version is light too (around 3.5lb)!

cinnamon_girl

Here’s my Rock Lobster and enjoyed a few years of happy riding. But the top tube is short and some say it’s old skool geometry. Used Recons followed by Revs.

Here’s my Soul and the only bike I’ve really regretted selling. 🙁 Geometry perfect for me and used Fox 120’s. Totally dependable work horse and took everything in her stride.

To summarise, I would look for a Soul in the Classifieds. 🙂

iridebikes
    Free Member

pieface, i have a genesis latitude frame, in good conditoin, its 853 tubing and designed for 120mm forks. it has very similar geometry to a soul. Would that be of interest to you?

karnali
    Free Member

hi i have a 16 inch sanderson breath frame for sale ideal with 120 forks thats what i ran 4-5 rides old brill condtion add here

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sanderson-breath-frame

email in profile if at all interested

ta

Pieface

irdiebikes – YGM

RustySpanner

Pretty much as above – lovely, light and ‘zingy’ steel xc bike.
    Fine at trail centres and for all day epics.

The alloy version is just as nice, very tough but amazingly light – wish I’d gone for one of those instead really.

Bit short.

Yep, design could be considered traditional, but never heard anyone complain about the handling yet.

If this one broke, I’d replace it with a Whyte, Soul, PA or Latitude, just for a change.

sefton
    Free Member

I have a 17″ ali frame – but its not worth selling as they’re not worth anything second hand.

I plan to build it up to race in the future

vorlich
    Free Member

@cinnamongirl

Can I ask what size frame that RL is, and how tall you are? I’m looking for a new frame for my OH and the primary criteria [after price] is comfort.

cinnamon_girl

vorlich – it’s a 15″ and I’m 5’5″ with short body but long arms and legs. I’ve always liked steel bikes. 8)

Edit: just saw your other thread. I used to have a 14″ Inbred, and the tt is obviously a lot longer than the Lobster, but was still a bit too small. Also had a 16″ 456 which was too big!

vorlich
    Free Member

Thanks! My OH is 5’4″ with long arms too. It will mainly be for pootling on, with minor off road stuff. You never had any problems with the weight vs the ALU version? 500g difference…

cinnamon_girl

My Lobster was a weighty beast anyway but the best improvements you can make are forks and wheels.

It’s unlikely I would ever have an aluminium frame, steel is such an improvement but then Ti came along! 😳

djflexure

Just built my son the alu version and its magnificent. He flew around Hopton Woods with it first time out. I tried it and it was great – fast, light. Very pleased with it.

vorlich
    Free Member

Thanks all! Sorry for the hijack OP!

I’d probably go for the lighter ALU, but I reckon the red would appeal to her more than matt black!

cinnamon_girl

The red is a gorgeous shade and pretty decent quality paintwork too. 🙂

sefton
    Free Member

the paint and quality of the welds looks great on my wife’s bike. the red is like a cherry red

vorlich
    Free Member

The red does look quite lickable! 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Rock Lobster 853 – what are they like?’ is closed to new replies.