Home Forums Bike Forum Road sun glasses – Oakley or Smith?

• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by BigR.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Road sun glasses – Oakley or Smith?
  • meandyuk

Any recommendations out there? I like the idea of the rimless ones, and currently looking at the Oakley EVZero blades prism road or Smith Reverb chromapop, anyone have either of these?

Cheers
    Andy

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have the road Prizm lens (in Radar EV) and it’s excellent, possibly even better than that. I like the look and low weight of rimless, but prefer the versatility of something where I can change lenses. Also have Trail and Clear.

honourablegeorge

Oakley warranty support has me going for them every time

meandyuk

Yeah that’s whats drawing me towards the Smith’s as you can change the lenses on those…. I don’t think the Oakley lenses quality can be beaten though and i’m not sure if Smith’s will come close.

Houns

Try them both (with helmet) and see what is comfiest/lens you prefer

meandyuk

Houns: Yeah good idea, cheers. Might have to do an online order as Smith’s aren’t in any shops

bluebird
    Free Member

I’ve had both Oakley and Smith goggles and sun glasses and I would say they comparable in terms of optics. Oakley customer service is excellent though, as others have mentioned.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Cant help you with rimless but I’ve had a pair of Oakley Jawbones with photochromic lenses for years and they’re the best road and mountain biking sunnies I’ve ever had. If I broke them tomorrow I’d go straight out and buy another pair.

BadlyWiredDog

I use Oakleys – can’t remember which – with the Road Prizm lens, which is mostly good. But in duller light I swap the lenses to a pair of Trail Prizm, which way better under tree cover and in duller light conditions. Obviously you don’t have to use both, but it does kind of work.

akira

Yeah I’ve got jawbreaker with prizm trail and road lens, very happy with them.

stevious

If I broke them tomorrow I’d go straight out and buy another pair.

If you broke them tomorrow they’d likely replace them for you.

MrPottatoHead

Not really what you’ve asked but I’ve recently got some Sungod Pacebreakers and they are excellent. Good optics, great warranty and customisation and good pricing.

benp1

Flak 2.0 here – two frames and three lenses – prizm Road, prizm trail, clear.

Really like them!

davosaurusrex

Another not what you asked but if you can find a pair of the Adidas Evil Eye Pro half rim with the Vario lenses for £40 in TK Maxx as per the other thread then you can’t go wrong. I just got a pair and reckon they’ll be great for the road, the quality of the lenses is superb. Think the Varios sell for £75 by themselves

w00dster

Another Sungod Pacemaker user here. Had loads of Oakleys, still got some and wearing a pair now. But for the cash the Sungods are a really good alternative.
    Oakley wise I have the EZero Path with Road Prizm lens, good and I got them at a decent price, but they’re not worth double the price of the Sungods.

lunge

Flak 2.0 and Jaw Bones/Racing Jacket with a range of lenses. The former are fine but the latter are brilliant. Prism road lenses normally, but it’s the quality of the fit that’s important.

ctk

Some casual Oakleys on Tkmaxx website at half price

Aquaprofile

stevious

‘If I broke them tomorrow I’d go straight out and buy another pair.

If you broke them tomorrow they’d likely replace them for you’

– Not my experience. I broke the arm of 1 year old Oakleys, CRC and Oakley weren’t interested

stevious

– Not my experience. I broke the arm of 1 year old Oakleys, CRC and Oakley weren’t interested

That’s a real shame – did you go via CRC or direct to Oakley? IN my experience wiggle/CRC have been crap at sorting out Oakley warranty stuff. When I broke the arm of my Radar EVs in a crash I contacted oakley direct to try and buy a new arm. They sent me through the warranty system (a bit of a PITA of form-filling) then just sent me a brand new pair.

Back to the OP – no opinion on Smith, but I do have Sungod casual glasses and oakleys on the bike. The sungods are great, but Prizm lenses are genuinely excellent. Remember to make sure that what you get fits well with your helmet!

BigR

Never been able to get spares for Smith sunglasses, I don’t think their UK support is up to much.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Road sun glasses – Oakley or Smith?’ is closed to new replies.