Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Road shoes and a fat foot
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

I cannot find a comfy pair and its costing me a fortune. On my third pair now. All have felt good when trying on but after an hour on the road I get various problmes. Latest pair (Spesh Elite) cause numbness to my entire foot. Only ever have issues with the right foot, left is comfy in any shoe.
    One thing I have noticed is that all the shoes I have tried only close one click on the ratchet before feeling tight, otherwise size is good.

So, do I have “high” feet? Is that a thing? Any suggestions for brands for people with fat feet?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sidi Mega are well worth a look, as are Giro HV.

ISTR that Spesh make wide versions of some shoes, but don’t bring them in to the UK. I have square feet, and still get on well with Specialized, though. Not the top end road stuff, but the MTB range and stuff like the Torch all fit well

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I had to have special shoes at prep as my feet are more like hobbit hooves than anything else.

Shimano tend to be broad as do Airwalk. Admittedly they’re more MTB’ey but worth exploring.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Specialized, though. Not the top end road stuff, but the MTB range and stuff like the Torch all fit well

That’s why I went this as the latest pair. I have Spech mtb shoes from 15 years ago that are still like new and I can wear all day long.
    I don’t think my feet are wide though, just high around the midfoot.

mtbfix

I have found Scott shoes to be much more comfy for my wide and reasonably high instep feet. Certainly better than Lake, Spec et al.

fasthaggis

I got a deal on a pair of Giro Privateer R HV at Evans last year.Only used them a few times but they felt very comfi.
    They also don’t look too MTB.
    giros

TiRed

Bont I believe are the shoes of choice for those of broad foot. I have the opposite issue. Giro lace ups for my D width bony paws.

cookeaa

Is it just width or could fit/pedal system/wedges be a factor?

Have you had a bike fitter take a look?

FuzzyWuzzy

IME:

Spesh are quite narrow (but have wide versions but not generally in the UK

Shimano are quite narrow (but have wide versions available in the UK but often very limited sizes)

Sidi are quite narrow (but have wide versions available in the UK but often very limited sizes)

Bont aren’t too bad but still quite narrow mid-foot, the toe box is roomy though so depends where you width is

Mavic are so narrow they’re like some sort of Chinese foot-binding device

Northwave are OK fit (although only ever used their winter boots so not sure if they’re a roomier last than their standard shoes)

Normal shoes and trainers mostly fit me fine (apart from some Adidas models) so I don’t think I have especially wide feet…

lunge

Lake may well be the answer to your question, they do a wide version that is like a boat, but even their normal cut is very generous. Avoid the really high end models are they’re on a tighter last, I suspect the others will do you a job.
    Re. the cost, can you not try them on a turbo then send them back if they don’t fit? Be very careful when putting the cleats on (you could even put some helicopter tape under the clear and over the sole if you were worried) and then if they hurt after an hour on the turbo then they’ll be fine to send back.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Thnaks all for the suggestions so far. However I don’t think I have wide feet. I believe they are tall.

lunge

To expand on my comment above, my feet and wide but low volume and I generally wear Spec shoes, though the latest S-Works were too tight. The Lake shoes are much bigger volume full-stop, there may be some extra width but there is also loads of space. Well worth a look if you can track them down.

trailwagger
    Free Member

To expand on my comment above, my feet and wide but low volume and I generally wear Spec shoes, though the latest S-Works were too tight. The Lake shoes are much bigger volume full-stop, there may be some extra width but there is also loads of space. Well worth a look if you can track them down.

Thanks. I have some different foot beds and wedges arriving this week so I can play around with those as a low cost option first. If that fails its back to the drawing board so will try out some of the shoes recommended here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Road shoes and a fat foot’ is closed to new replies.