Home Forums Bike Forum Road bike build £500 budget, what frame?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Road bike build £500 budget, what frame?
  • amack23
    Free Member

Looking at building a road bike to put in a few miles in the forthcoming long evenings. I’m thinking frame and fork 2nd hand £100, 105 10 speed groupset £200, shimano r501 £65, leaving £135 for the other odds and ends. I’m after a frame with a relaxed geometry nothing to racy and with the ability to take full mudguards. As I don’t have much experience when it comes to things road orientated what frames should I be looking at? And am I right in assuming the r501’s aren’t 11 speed compatible?

steveoath
    Free Member

I liked the Edinburgh bike coops road bike. Could prob pick up their frame pretty cheaply.

or look at planet x sale

palmer77
    Free Member

I’ve a Cube Peloton Race with full Ultegra (cept STI’s which are 105) for sale around that price size 53cm.

robidoo
    Free Member

I too have a Cube peloton race compact in size 56, full 105 apart from ultegra rear mech.
    Shimano R500 wheels all in great condition.
    Looking for around £525 ono
    Nr Sheffield. :D

TiRed

I bought a used alloy Giant TCR with full Ultegra 6600 groupset for £400. It was all the road bike I needed to start racing. Giant alloy allux SL tcr frames are fantastic. I recommend them without hesitation.

amack23
    Free Member

I’m not certain but I’m guessing I’d be a 56 or 58cm frame. Only looking for ideas at this stage. Initially looked at a triban 500 but the frame seems quite hefty at 2kg.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

In the usual STW spirit of recommending what you know, and happen to have up for sale, I’ll recommend this:

Wilier La Triestina

Very comfortable on aaccount of the carbon forks and seatstays, with a sorted, neutral geometry.

You can buy a really, really nice pair of mudguards for it with the change.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Relaxed geometry and ability to take guards… I just bought a Gensis Equilibrium for £525 which I’m very pleased with.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Road bike build £500 budget, what frame?’ is closed to new replies.