Home Forums Chat Forum Ripping DVD’s to NAS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ripping DVD’s to NAS
  • moff

MrsMoff wants the DVD’s hidden away and apparently copying them to the NAS drive would be a productive use of my time.

What have you successfully used to rip to a NAS – it’s a Synology if that makes any difference?

Ta

dissonance

Handbrake isnt the nicest interface but works well enough. You then need a copy of libdvdcss to drop into the folder so it can decrypt dvds.

DezB
    Free Member

Handbrake or Freemake[/url]

jeffl

Handbrake. Not used it for a few years but it sometimes used to struggle with Disney dvds.

cranberry
    Free Member

I used AnyDVD and Handbrake, the former decrypts, which may not be required if you process single disks and use libdvdcss as mentioned by @dissonance.

I found it best to copy multiple DVDs to the hard drive, then carry out the slower procedure of running Handbrake on the data from the hard drive – you can copy a bunch of DVDs whilst watching TV / general PC use, then let the PC do its thing working through the conversion over many hours/days.

EDIT: to be most productive, a couple of DVD drives and plenty of hard drive space is the way to go.

johnners
    Free Member

Don’t bother. Hide them away as requested and just get the one you want to play out whenever you really want to watch something in 540p.

moff

Thanks, I’ll investigate further.

I don’t think the time it takes is going to be too much of an issue, look like we’re in this for the long haul due to health complications in the household.

simon_g

I used MakeMKV years ago when I did the same. It keeps chapters and alternate audio tracks (like commentary) too.

Cougar

Torrent them. You already own them and life’s too short.

nickjb
    Free Member

Torrent them. You already own them and life’s too short.

+1

You are already breaking the letter of the law by ripping them. IMO its doesn’t break the spirit of the law to rip or torrent if you own the disk.

jeffl

Good point about torrenting them. Next question; what VPN for torrenting?

Tiger6791

just buy this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Binder-Capacity-Nylon-Black/dp/B00DIHVMEA/

De-box em and put the cases in the loft (or recycling)

I gave up ripping DVDs as it takes ages

Cougar

Next question; what VPN for torrenting?

TOR, qBittorrent and IPFilter.

rossburton
    Free Member

If you have lots of space the MakeMKV rips fast (just a container ship, doesn’t transcode) and preserves chapters. You can always re-encode with handbrake afterwards.

devash
    Free Member

I was going to do this with my quite considerable collection just before we moved house as was also getting grief from the Mrs about having too much stuff.

I ended up keeping the discs and inserts in a load of binders and taking the boxes to the recycling. They hardly take up any space now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ripping DVD’s to NAS’ is closed to new replies.