Home Forums Chat Forum RIP Sir Bobby Charlton

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • RIP Sir Bobby Charlton
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Sad but inevitable.

martinhutch

It’s inevitable for most of us, to be fair. But what a life to have had!

RIP Sir Bobby.

sandboy

I don’t remember but my Dad says that I saw the trio of Laws, Charlton and Best at the Molineux when I was very young.
    RIP Sir Bobby, one of England’s greatest.

theotherjonv

Proper legend, and Jack’s brother.

dander

RIP. Heard on five live this afternoon he was only booked twice in his career – which spanned 24 years. 

binners

It always seemed a weird contradiction that someone who looked 50 when he was 20 was just so unbelievably skilful

Its a word that gets thrown around far too casually nowadays but he was a genuine Legend. RIP

herring8
    Free Member

im Liverpool but at times like this tribal loyalties are pointless

Caher

Great player and great person.

MSP

Sir Bobby wasn’t just a club legend he was a national legend.

herring8
    Free Member

youre right – as a Liverpool fan i had nothing but respect for him, a really sad demise

rOcKeTdOg

It’s inevitable for most of us

Who’s it not inevitable to?

scotroutes

Sir Bobby wasn’t just a club legend he was a INTERnational legend.

FTFY

fazzini

Met him once outside OT. So polite, courteous, interested in me and my mate. We were utterly starstruck but he was so humble and gracious. RIP 😢

binners

This lot better pull their bloody fingers out and get the 3 points for him tonight. No excuses!

blackhat
    Free Member

Not a Manc, too young to see him play live but was my all time favourite player for years – who can resist a two footed marauding midfielder?  Above all he seemed a decent bloke.  RIP Sir Bobby

Watty

I used to see him at work, queueing up to pay for his cup of tea in the staff canteen – Sir Bobby Charlton, in the queue, to pay for his tea – mind blowing.

binners

431A22A9-F3F4-4DF6-859D-430FDA90B57ALove the Stan Chow portrait that he posted up yesterday

gobuchul
    Free Member

In Jack’s autobiography he talks about that when Bobby was about 10, he used go to the park in his wellies to play against 13 and 14 year olds.

After a while they wouldn’t let him play as he was too good and just skinned all of them.

Bunnyhop

My father was a huge Man utd fan and went to watch many matches. He loved George Best and Sir Bobby.
    To think that Sir Bobby managed to survive that dreadful plane crash as a Busby babe and continued to play sublime football for many years after.
    A National Treasure gone.
    RIP

avdave2

I was working a decade or so ago at the exhibition halls in Munich when I noticed the control tower and realised it was built on the site of the old airport where they took of from. Quite sobering.

My dad was born in Manchester in 1937. He’s the only United supporter in a family of City fans. As an apprentice electrician he worked on putting the floodlights in at Old Trafford travelling on the bus with some of the pre Munch team. They’d even have a kick around on the pitch with some of them on their lunch break. A very different time. I think back then most of the players just saw themselves as blokes going to work like everyone else.

MoreCashThanDash

Caught the start of the Barcelona game at the weekend, and they had a minutes silence in memory of him – I knewvhow well respected he was here but hadn’t quite realised how much he was held in such high regard

Jordan

A mate of mine posted the following on his fb page. I’m sure he won’t mind me sharing it here.

“Met Charlton on a number of occasions . Often found him slightly dour. Unlike his gregarious brother Jack. First time was back in 68 when he came into my high school and had lunch with me and a number of
    school team captains. I then many years later became the head of the school only a stones throw from Old Trafford . So he opened several events for me .
    The last time was when I was involved in the placing of a plaque at 19 Gorse Avenue. This had been the lodgings of Duncan Edwards. We had lunch that day. He told me how Edwards was always late. Charlton being a stickler for the rules used to call for him to get him to training on time. He laughed,first time I saw him relaxed, as he told me how Edwards had hit him on the head with the boots he had thrown at him from the bedroom window,complaining about having been woken up. He talked of those days,going quiet every so often. Lost in thought. How he coped with climbing out if a crashed plane and losing those who had become family who knows. Maybe that’s why he often seemed detached, performing a duty. In those days there was no counseling, no understanding of PTSD. Who knows how damaged he was by it all.
    As a footballer he was a legend. When that term is used far too often these days. A guy from a different era. Like all people he had his faults, but he is part of a generation that we will never see the like of. His achievements on the pitch were stunning. His ability to cope off the pitch with the pain and loss even more amazing.
    Respect Sir Bobby,respect”

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.