Home Forums Bike Forum Riks Bike Shed closing down…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Riks Bike Shed closing down…
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

…and reopening in an as yet undisclosed location!

I’d copy the Facebook post if it let me but alas it’s shite.

Basically Drumlanrig are making changes that they have decided don’t include Rik, he’s been off building trails elsewhere and will be opening up at that location once they’re ready. Closing down sale is on.

Some are speculating this is the beginning of the end of trails at Drumlanrig. Who knows but are they not still wrecked after Arwen?

Yes I searched for the existing topic but neither the forum not Google came up with anything.

iainc

a cut and paste of the FB post, very sad :

Hi everyone… We have news. Rik’s Bike Shed will be moving to a different location after a wee break on an upcoming project. Stay tuned for more information and we will be sure to keep you updated!
    Drumlanrig Castle have decided to make changes that unfortunately no longer include us. However, fear not! We are already working on finding a new location where we can continue to provide you with the same great products and services that you have come to love and expect from us.
    Rik will be taking some time to work on a trail building project for a while before opening in our new location .
    In the meantime, we will be offering a clearance sale with discounts on our remaining stock, so please stop by and take advantage of these great deals while they last.
    We understand that this news may come as a shock, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. This decision was not ours to make. We are committed to keeping you updated every step of the way as we navigate this transition.
    Thank you for your continued support and loyalty, especially to our loyal customers who have kept the trails and shed alive for over 20+ years here at Drumlanrig Castle.

Rona

Really sad to hear this. Will look forward to hearing more about what comes next.

Yak

I’m not often in that area, but have enjoyed the trails there and Rik/ the shop are great too. Shame that they are kicked out as it seemed a unique set-up and very different to other trail centres.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Cheers for copying the actual post @iainc 👍

plus-one

Still have fond memories of Rik taking me and few mates round Mabie(when he was based there) gotta be 20+ years ago now ? Remember him drinking water direct out a stream !

a11y

That doesn’t sound positive for the future of Drumlanrig trails. Saying that, I’ve not visited for a while – too far as a destination in itself but was great to add as a stop when enroute to the more southern 7 Stanes. Was a great venue/course for SSUK years ago too.

vmgscot

These trails have been our local “go to” for sheltered winter biking or evening blasts since Rik relocated from Mabie.
    It’s a real shame to see the way they have gone – being hit first by the larch infection issue that decimated the lower red half then storm Arwen did for more red and the black extension loop. The trails have not recovered.

It’s a real shame.

Fat-boy-fat

Good luck to Rik. He’s not had the best of luck. Foot and mouth ruining his (very good) business down at Mabie, now Arwen and Drumlanrig stopping his current business.

I’m looking forward to seeing what his new project is as he builds trails that I really like.

stevie750

Are the trails still open, is it worth going there just now?

iainc

^^^ The red was largely reopened last summer, though big chunks up by the river lost forever due Arwen.  A loop now takes about 45 mins I recall so its good for a couple of laps, but nothing like it was a few years ago.

Presuming with Rik leaving, nature will take it’s course and reclaim what is left, though I’d love to be wrong.  As @vmgscot says, they have been a great option over the years – for me it’s just under an hour drive, compared to an hour and a half to GT, so has been my ‘trail centre’ of choice for the past 15 years or so 🙁

just had a look on the Castle website and all reference to the old trails has been removed so can only surmise that they are gone now. https://www.drumlanrigcastle.co.uk/outdoor-activities/cycling-routes/

mtbfix

I was always fond of the trails there but my abiding memory is of the bike wash station which drained the muck into a barrow. That was very neat. Proper old school wiggly singletrack goodness.

ossify

That’s a shame.

We went on holiday a couple of years ago just round the corner from there, was a great place to ride. Had a hairy moment on that big drop at the end one time, clipping my back wheel and nearly going OTB 😱  Clean trousers needed!

Rik was a great help when our car broke down and we had to come home by train, he looked after my bike for a few weeks free of charge (gave him something towards trail upkeep though, pity that was wasted as Arwen rolled by shortly after 😆)

matt_outandabout

A real shame, as others said Rik has had some run of frustrations…

I bought one of the first Orange bikes (a C16r) he ever sold when he was working out the old stable yard at Mabie, a few weeks after he opened.

Gribs

just had a look on the Castle website and all reference to the old trails has been removed so can only surmise that they are gone now. https://www.drumlanrigcastle.co.uk/outdoor-activities/cycling-routes/

The mtb trails are just on a different part of the site

Mountain Biking

iainc

^^^^ ah, hadn’t spotted that, thanks

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.