Home Forums Bike Forum Rigid 29er plus bikes

• This topic has 40 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Andy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Rigid 29er plus bikes
  • damascus
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m looking for a rigid 29er that will take a plus tyre (size XL, I’m 6ft3) that’s not too heavy, so preferably not steel but I’d consider anything at the right price.

The obvious answer is a trek stache but are there any other suggestions ?

Has anyone bought the carbon copy off ebay and not died?

I like the look of the genesis tarn for some reason but not sure it will take plus tyres.

I did consider a fat bike with plus tyres on, has anyone got experience of this? Any photo examples? Any disadvantages I’ve not thought of?

It will be used as an xc bike through winter, something simple, cheap deore gears etc. I’ll probably commute on it when its snows or is icy.  And some bike packing.

Thanks

flumewelck
    Free Member

I have been looking for something similar myself. Looking at the Salsa Mukluk at the moment.

tomhoward

I’ve a mukluk, it’s ace. Not run proper plus tyres, but 29×2.4 on wide rims (as well as fat ones) and it’s perfectly capable on trail centre reds at full speed. Plus tyres I guess would give you a bit more comfort on longer rougher rides.

plan was to fit the bluto from its predecessor, but I’ve not missed the suss, so sold the bluto…

twowheels
    Free Member

Alex Pilkington won the HT550 on a Chinese 29er+ carbon frame (and Chinese carbon rims).  Not the Stache copy though.

Edit: https://fatsterbike.com/the-fatster-tech-spec-pics/

There he says the Stache inspired his frame choice and the chainstays are asymmetric so perhaps I’m wrong to say it’s not a copy!

Denis99
    Free Member

I have my Marin Pine Mountain 2 for sale.

Nearly meets you description.

650b plus, 27.5 x 3 at the front, 27.5 x 2.8 rear.

Steel frame, Lauf forks, quite light for a steel frame bike.

email in profile if interested

lotto
    Free Member

Pinnacle Ramin. Stooge. All pretenders to a Jones though.

AlasdairMc
    Free Member

The Stooge and the Jones are very different bikes (I have both).

In a non-plus version, the Stooge is nice and short and flickable, but the 29+ version feels longer and more stable. It also rides a lot stiffer than the Jones, with the Jones benefiting from the vertical flex of the Ti much more than I can feel on the Stooge.

BB height on the Jones is considerably lower, pedal strikes more frequent.

To the OP, get a Stooge as a plus bike. Cheap in steel, light in Ti.

damascus
    Free Member

Has anyone ridden the salsa woodsmoke ? Currently on offer at merlin in size large only. Pricey even in the sale.

https://www.merlincycles.com/salsa-woodsmoke-mountain-bike-frame-108327.html

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I looked at the Chinese stache copies (shand and on one imported versions as well). The gist of them was they’re not as long up front, short at the back or slack head angle as the stache. Probably not a bad thing if you’re on an adventure racing bike with tri bars but less of a trail bike maybe.

slackman99
    Free Member

The Tarn is a great bike/frame, but I don’t think you’d get a 29+ in the rear. Run mine with a 27.5×3 in the rear and not really any room for more. I think that it’ll fit a 29×2.6 though. Check the frame length, mine is a large but it longer than most XL s. I was thinking about selling mine but am not 100% sure I will

ajantom

For the use you describe I’d have a look at the original (and best imo) 29+, the Krampus. Yes, it’s steel, but not ridiculously heavy.

Great bike, fun to ride, really versatile, and feels bombroof (in a good way).

rene59
    Free Member

For the use you describe I’d have a look at the original (and best imo) 29+, the Krampus. Yes, it’s steel, but not ridiculously heavy.

Great bike, fun to ride, really versatile, and feels bombroof (in a good way).

Seconded.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Brother Big Bro is perhaps worth a look.

BillOddie

Krampus thirded  – i loved mine.

ton

surly ecr here.

big bike for a big bloke. nice too

takisawa2

2nd gen Singular Puffin. Lovely bike. Not tried it 29+ but its got room. Coastkid did a blog running one fat & 29+.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

29er rigid+ bike is my next MTB for 2019. Is the OP going to run it single speed though.

scud
    Free Member

I’ve a Salsa Beargrease, bit more racey than my old Mukluk with a set of fat wheels and a set of 29+ wheels, really like the 29+ wheels for general trail riding, then living near some great beaches, chuck the fat wheels on and go for a ride along the sand.

tazzymtb

Titanium Stooge speedball is very very nice and goes like an utter b*stard. The Ti can be made to measure with custom tweaks as you want as well. 

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

I was sorely tempted by a Vassago Verhauen from Charlie the Bike Monger before I saw my bank balance. Steel, but handmade in America and light for the material.

dovebiker

but handmade in America and light for the material

Err, even Surly don’t say that:

Where are Surly frames made?

I had my custom 29+ frame made in titanium in China for a lot less than the UK price of a Krampus frame

swavis

The correct answer would’ve been a Genesis Longitude Mk1, but they mucked it all up and made them with small wheels ;) I absolutely love mine and would never part with it, I still ride it more that my nice shiney Stanton Sherpa.

I never got on with my Puffin, very nice bike but always preferred my Mukluk.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I can’t see why you’d look further than the Stache to be honest. It’s enormous fun, and a good weight. The frame is exceptional quality too.

It’s so good it’s a bit of a shame that so many of them stay rigid. I upgraded my Stache 5 first with Manitou Magnums (for sale if anyone wants some 29+ forks) and then later 140mm Revelations and it’s just an absolute riot.

I use mine as my winter bike, but its remit has stretched because it’s so enjoyable. I now mountain bike to work on it (around 20 miles) and would tour on it if the opportunity came up.

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Doverbiker, Vassago are an American brand – not Surly…

martymac

I’m running 29×3 on my surly karate monkey, albeit on hope tech enduro wheels.

everyone who lifts it is surprised how light it is.

it’s not that light, but better than most people seem to expect.

i would buy another.

slowbloke
    Free Member

@munrobiker – I’d agree – mine was obviously a later 5 as it came with suspension forks from the off (Machete, horrible things) – swapped them for some Magnum Pros and it will handle most things. I use mine for winter, some sandy areas locally, and generally messing about in the woods like it’s a giant BMX.

wombat

Fourth vote for the Krampus. Absolutely brilliant fun.

I’ve an XL, you’re welcome to have try if you’re local to me (North Yorkshire)

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve got the chinese stache copy. I’m still alive 2+ years later :)

I’ve not run it 29+ though – seems like overkill to me given how well 27+ works

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve not run it 29+ though – seems like overkill to me given how well 27+ works

IME, 29+ is better. It’s more effective in rougher terrain.

DougD

Another vote for a Krampus, it’s brilliant.

ARC 40 Rims with WTB Ranger tyres

Andy

Much prefer 29+ over 27.5+ due to the bigger wheels rolling over stuff better. I have had a few 29 plus bikes though…

Ran my Mukluk and Surly Wednesday with 29 plus wheels. Rode great, but prefer the normal bottom bracket width used on dedicated plus bikes.

Never tried a Krampus. The geo doesnt quite work for me. Have a Singular Rooster and its a fantastic fun bike. Also tried an XL Stache and hated it. Had an XL and even with a layback post and long stem it felt too short. And there is that PF bottom bracket as well. New owner loves it though.

Also had a Jones Plus, but again it didnt quite work for me. The most bonkers fun on technical descents of any bike I have had though

Also have some shiney chinese titanium on the way. A 29 plus version of a Sherpa. WIll post up pics when its built.

Clink

Also have some shiney chinese titanium on the way. A 29 plus version of a Sherpa. WIll post up pics when its built.

Were Stanton not working on a 29+ Sherpa?

ton

also previously owned a jones plus. nice, but the ECR does everything a bit better.

Clink
    faustus

That Stanton+ looks interesting indeed.

nemesis
    Free Member

Much prefer 29+ over 27.5+ due to the bigger wheels rolling over stuff better

Don’t doubt that for a moment but I just find 27+ rolls will enough for me – I’ll swap to the full susser if I want an easier time. Clearly everyone will have different points of preference

addy6402

Had a Swamp green Krampus – great bike.

Currently experimenting with a build based around a Pinnacle Ramin frame, chinese carbon forks and a 29+/B+ wheel combo. Light and fun but mainly intended for bikepacking duties – will be at the Moors 100 this weekend.

damascus
    Free Member

Andy, interesting about the xl trek stache. How tall are you?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Rigid 29er plus bikes’ is closed to new replies.